First shed at 29??? WTF I just went full health now this

Myhair_Matt

Reaction score
Hi Fellow Shedders,

I am curious, actually freaking out to know, if a change in eating habits (takeaway junk to health food), beating repeated illness (flus, colds, mild fevers) over 3 months, quiting smoking, coffees and alcohol and washing hair more regularly will cause a massive shed. For the last month i have shed a possible up to 200 hairs per day for the first couple of weeks, maybe down to 100 at the moment, at the temples, crown and even on the sides… I can honestly say I have never experienced a shed before. Sure I have seen my hair line recede slowly at the temples over the last 5 – 10 years, but I’ve had such thick hair you would never have guessed. Before I used to wet my hair and never see scalp, now when my hair is wet all I can see is white scalp, which would say to me it has never seen the sun before, and this massive shed is only recent and not something that has just creeped up on me

Any feedback appreciated…..

vipergts

Established Member
Reaction score
Your body is most likely adapting to your new pro-health routine. I would give it a few more months to see if the hairloss goes down, if not it's probably the onset of male pattern baldness. If I were you I would get on finasteride (propecia) 0.2-.5mg ASAP. Also start using Nizoral as soon as possible.

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
Like you, my hairline has slowly receded. I really haven't though much about it. I contributed most of it to age. A few months ago, I experienced a massive shed on my right hairline area. I mean the hair went to probably less than 30% density (this a guess since some people say you only see hairloss at less 30%) This isn't to say that I had 100% density before this shed. My left side has thinned out slightly. The hair has gradually grown back. It's still not to the original thickness, but I'm being somewhat patient on it. As for my left side, there's a little regrowth, but I also noticed some neoplasms from a genetic disorder that I have (i.e., neurofibromatosis), so the hairloss could be from these; however, they're pretty small, so they're probably not halting much regrowth.

My vertex is doing pretty good. I have a rather large neoplasm by vertex, so portion of it may appear thin, but it's not. My whole mother's ranges from NW4 to NW7. My father's side is pretty simliar. However, my father died with a NW2 and my brother is probably somewhere in between NW1-NW2.

Unforunately, from what I read, male pattern baldness hairloss can be rather sudden. Sometimes hair can just fall out and not grow back - even if they're healthy. If you're really concerned that it may not be male pattern baldness, you can check with someone to look at your hair for miniaturization. Good luck with this because I've been unsuccessful.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Get on propecia immediately then worry about fixing the root issue.