First time on T/Sal shampoo

Reaction score
Actually TSAL contains salicylic acid, which causes dry skin. This acid is also used in topical acne medications that you wipe on the face to dry out the acne so it will flake off.

My chemistry professor says that salicylic acid just burns a layer of skin off of wherever you wipe it. So yes, it will cause dry skin, which will lead to dandruff.

yello911

Established Member
Reaction score
Yup, it did it to me when I first started using it but than after using it for about 10 days everyday, my scalp was clean and no sebum.

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just started using T-Sal as well.

I wouldn't call my head a "bomb site" though.

All I can say is that with the combination of Nizoral, T/Gel and T-Sal, my scalp is in better condition than the first time I tried minoxidil 4 years ago. That time I had to quit because of the huge flakes.

Cassin

Reaction score
If you want to use T/SAL.....Use T/GEL conditioner instead. It contains 2% salicylic acid and leaves your hair looking great without drying it. So it's pretty much the same thing.

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
Herbal Essences Anti-Dandruff shampoo also contains 2% salicylic acid.

avri

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Youngandbalding is right
salicylic acid does burn a layer of skin off you.....just look at wart removers.....they have salicylic acid 40%......food for thought.

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
YoungandBalding said:
Actually TSAL contains salicylic acid, which causes dry skin. This acid is also used in topical acne medications that you wipe on the face to dry out the acne so it will flake off.

My chemistry professor says that salicylic acid just burns a layer of skin off of wherever you wipe it. So yes, it will cause dry skin, which will lead to dandruff.

I don't see how T-Sal is going to stop dandruff.
My personal reason for choosing it is because I felt like I had a bunch of build-up on my scalp, and I was hoping that T-Sal would take off some of that. Is this a correct assumption?

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
TortoiseAndHair said:
What is there to "see", salicylic acid has been studied and approved for treatment of dandruff.

avri

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
avri said:
TortoiseAndHair said:
What is there to "see", salicylic acid has been studied and approved for treatment of dandruff.

avri

Let me rephrase that.
According to what YoungAndBalding says, I don't see how T-Sal is going to stop dandruff. He says it actually causes dandruff.

Guess that's why you shouldn't believe everything you read in a newsgroup. :wink:

The Gardener

Reaction score
T-Sal does help fight dandruff for some. The theory is that frequent and regular chemical exfoliation of your scalp will reduce the flaking, over time.

Of course, when you first go onto it, it is completely understandible that you might have a major exfoliation event as you had, big flakes and all. But, over time, the scalp should be burned down to a level where dead skin will no longer 'build up' as it did, only to have it flake off.