FischerSnapper's Story - (3 Pics)

Reaction score
Hey all!

So yes, it seems I have inherited the genetics for male pattern baldness. I have been reading over this site for the past few days, and I just wanted to first thank all those who have contributed positively to other posters. Speaking about my this possible condition I may have is difficult even now since dealing with male pattern baldness is something I never thought I would have to go through.

Background: My Dad is fully bald, but my mother has thick hair. My sisters both have a noticeable part in their hairs.

Here are some pictures.
file.php

file.php

file.php

I am currently 26 years old and have been taking 5% minoxidil for three weeks now. I first noticed hair loss last year when I grew my hair out for six months; eventually, my hair became so long that I had to comb it backwards to control it. With my hair combed backwards, my hair parted naturally in the middle and when I saw my head from the top-down with the aid of mirrors, I was kind of troubled by how wide the part was. It was January 2010, and I was studying for an important placement test at the time, and so I buzzed my head completely so that I wouldn't become distracted. After the test, I inspected my hair and noticed that some parts starting from my crown and going down to the back of my head that were not growing at all. I began applying minoxidil to the area of interests; however, the balding shown in my pictures, that of the top of my head, hadn't started yet. After a few months, the balding that I first noticed in the back of my head was no longer observable, either through the combination of my hair regrowing naturally or minoxidil. I suspended the use of minoxidil since the hair loss was no longer observable. However, back in June or July, a friend of mine took a picture of me and I first noticed the bald spot on the top of my head. I have been applying minoxidil to it for three weeks now.

I am still unsure if my balding is a result of a natural hairline or if it is male pattern baldness. Since I have always had thick hair, I am not sure if I should just accept my hair now as 'normal' or if it is instead something worth addressing. I am seriously considering making a doctor's appointment with a dermatologist for the sheer value alone of being reassured one way or another what is going on with my hair. I have a bad tendency to obsess about things, and I feel that $40-80 a month for finasteride would be valuable alone for the peace of mind it offered.

Any advice? Should I get on finasteride right away? Is my hair appearing normal, or is there cause for concern? Thank you so much for your help!

Attachments

• 0916001900.jpg
    0916001900.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 1,143
  • 0916001901.jpg
    0916001901.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 1,107
  • 0916001902.jpg
    0916001902.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 1,119

skelll

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: FischerSnapper's Story [3 Pics.]

I would keep applying the Rogaine, and take finasteride too. But it looks pretty early, but it wouldnt hurt to get on early. I hear that these products work best in the very early phases of hairloss.

Reaction score

R_Savage said:
seaback said:
I wrote a reply to your posts, Skell and Fischer. Then I came to the conclusion that it was not worth it. Also, it was very rude. Go seek medical support. Psychological support. Also, please refrain yourselves form posting pictures of ridiculously full head of hair. It is very offensive.

although a bit harsh, i agree, you have a full thick head of hair mate. at worst try finasteride to maintain your full head of hair! :woot:

Hey R_Savage, thanks for the reply!

I read your reply for skell's post-- do you recommend finasteride over minoxidil for early cases? I thought minoxidil should be used before finasteride is considered, since minoxidil has low-risk/high-reward. And it is more affordable at around $10 a month.

I have been using minoxidil for three weeks now. Thanks for the reply and encouragement! Even though hair loss has only just begun, skell and I have been upset enough to seek information from others about hair loss.

Reaction score

R_Savage said:
no probs. first of all i'm no expert so don't take what i say as gospel, but simply as my opinion. i have only recently in the last couple of months started my own battle against hair loss (although i started losing about 5 years ago and did nothing) so theres plenty of folk on here with more knowledge than me.

anyway from what research i've done the common opinion is that finasteride is the most effective at maintaining what you've got and it can also be effective at regrowing hair in some cases, while minoxidil can help you regrow minaturised hairs working best in conjunction with finasteride. if you check success stories nearly all seem to be using finasteride, and rarely minoxidil alone. minoxidil seems to be an uphill battle on its own that seems to lose its effectiveness a lot quicker than finasteride.

in your case i think you have a full head of hair from what i can see so i wouldnt do anything but keep an eye on it. as i said already if you really feel you need to take the plunge just use finasteride to maintain as you dont have drastic need for regrowth. as well as that if you do start to really lose your hair and you are serious about doing something about it then you will need to get on finasteride anyway.

dont worry about all the scaremongering about finasteride sides, remember its 2% that exeprience sides and even most of those dissapear shortly after the body adjusts to finasteride. chances are most people who use finasteride with good results dont look back and enjoy life. its those that suffer sides who end up shouting their mouths off on forums! i've been on it a little over 6 weeks now and havent noticed any sides at all.

Thanks for the help, Savage!

If I can ask: do you use Finpecia yourself? How much does it cost you, monthly? I am currently browsing inhousepharmacy, and $25 for a 30 day supply of finasteride seems reasonable. I am still debating whether or not to consult a dermatologist, or just purchase online. And I am worried about the shedding, to be honest. Thanks for hearing me out!

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a comment about my pictures? Does this look like the first sign of male pattern baldness? Does it look 'normal' for a hair? My hair loss isn't diffused; it's just a straight line of miniaturization.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Some more pics.

I know some people may not sympathize with me since I am not fully bald, but I am in fact very concerned.

Attachments

• new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 188
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 170

malo

Established Member
Reaction score
Fischersnapper you said your father has hair loss what about your mothers father?
although not 100% those are good indicators of what type of hair loss you might inherit. Sometimes there are people whose genetics don't look good but never experience any loss. A few of my cousins are lucky that way.
If you want to be sure pay to get a hairDx test or a miniaturization study by a reputable hair doctor.
As for the way your hair looks now I don't see any loss just the part in your hair.