Flavio's Story - (32 / treatments worked)

Flavio

Established Member
Reaction score
I started losing hair when I was 17 years old. It was terrible and I was severely depressed. I spent a small fortune in shampoos and magic lotions with no results. I consulted six dermatologists in Portugal and they were all sh*t and didn't solve anything.

So, I decided to take matters into my own hands and do some research and read as much as I could on the subject of hair loss. I found out about finasteride and minoxidil and I was probably one of the first men in Portugal to use finasteride to treat male pattern baldness. And it worked! 15 years later (I'm 32 years old) I still look like this:

New+York+5.JPG

This is me in Brooklyn, New York (May 2008). It's not a very good picture, but you can see that my hair is still there.

If there's a lesson to be learnt from my story, it's this: if you want something done, you have to do it yourself.

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Greetings from Madeira Island, Portugal

Gratz bro :)
You have been using finasteride for the last 15 years and it completly halted your hair loss? :woot:
Have you regrown any of the hair you lost? What was your Norwood when you started using it?

Flavio

Established Member
Reaction score

Hi Ian, thanks for posting! :)

No, I started taking finasteride later. I've been taking finasteride everyday for the last eight years maybe, I'm not sure. I know I was still in college at the time.

I haven't experienced any regrowth, but it has stopped my hair loss and improved the appearance of my scalp (it's much less 'greasy'). There were no side effects. Today, I'm happy with what I have (NW1).

columbo

Reaction score

Hi Flavio

That's great to hear.

I personally appreciate somebody who doesn't particularly need the forum to come here and give hope those that do.

Hats off to you my friend! :bravo:

Flavio

Established Member
Reaction score

Hi Columbo! Thank you for the warm welcome.

Well, I guess I still need the forum because, even though my situation is now stable, my hairline has receded a little bit and I'm always looking for ways to improve my hair and my appearance. I'm particularly interested in future therapies - e.g. Avodart, hair cloning. This forum seems like the perfect place to gather reliable information.

columbo

Reaction score

Hi sorry Flavio, I did not mean to downplay your hair loss. After all we are all unhappy to a certain degree. I just think it is admirable that even though you have had considerable success and maintained, you have still taken the time out to post.

Cheers

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Like everyone else has said, thank you for coming back and informing us about your status. This forum owes people like yourself to come and motivate us with your stories.

Are you taking propecia or proscar and at what dosage?

Take care.

Flavio

Established Member
Reaction score

Thank you, Abovedagame!

I'm currently taking Proscar 1/4 everyday and minoxidil 2 x day.

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score

Hi Flavio,

Just wanted to know if you had any sides from using minoxidil for 8 years. did you experience any major sheds and did you use any other supplements. would be great if you could detail your experience a bit so we know at what point do we stand in our struggle against hairloss. many thnx again for sharing your story.

Flavio

Established Member
Reaction score

«Just wanted to know if you had any sides from using minoxidil for 8 years.»

It was probably more than 8 years, I can't remember when I started it. I know I was still in college then, so it was at least 8 years. There were no side effects, thank God for that: no shedding, no impotence, no acne. There was no regrowth either, but at least my hair was preserved and my scalp is healthier. I guess I was lucky.