Flaxseed Oil and Evening Primrose

viperfish

Reaction score
Flaxseed oil and Evening Primrose are a great natural source of Alpha-Linolenic Acid and Gamma-Linolenic acid. Both of these are active ingredients in Revivogen. Anyways I got to thinking yesterday that taking these might not be a bad idea. In the Revivogen studies these two acids were applied topically and shown to be a good inhibitors of 5 alpha-reductase. Maybe taken internally may be of benefit too????

Anyways I don't mean to start a "he said she said thing", but this is the truth I'm not out to give bogus info. My mom's friend who has suffered from fpb went to her derm 3-6 months ago to ask his advice on her thinning problem and the derm recommended flaxseed oil (high in alpha-linolenic acid) as she was suffering from alot of irritation and inflammation that may have been causing her thinning. Some months later her hair totally came back! I don't know alot about the stuff, but it may help with inflammation and maybe using it topically and internally concomitantly (Revivogen) may help.

I thought what the hell I'll try some. It's cheap and good for the central nervous system and heart. Why not?????????

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
viperfish said:
Flaxseed oil and Evening Primrose are a great natural source of Alpha-Linolenic Acid and Gamma-Linolenic acid. Both of these are active ingredients in Revivogen. Anyways I got to thinking yesterday that taking these might not be a bad idea. In the Revivogen studies these two acids were applied topically and shown to be a good inhibitors of 5 alpha-reductase. Maybe taken internally may be of benefit too????

There may be some NUTRITIONAL benefit to taking them internally, but they won't inhibit 5a-reductase that way to any significant extent. That's been demonstrated in at least one study that I can think of.

You have to flood an area topically with relatively large amounts of the PURE fatty acid (not just a natural oil like flax, evening primrose, borage, etc.) to have that effect.

Bryan

viperfish

Reaction score
Yes I would think that flaxseed oil would be very beneficial for nutrition. I'm just wondering why the derm recommended it and why it worked so well. This is a woman that has suffered with fpb for a significant time. Bryan do you think it helps maybe with inflammation??? I believe the product Hair Genesis uses a supplement that contains ALA and GLA. I'm not saying that product is any good, but I believe the company has some study that was conducted taking these internally.

viperfish

Reaction score
Nevermind Hair Genesis does not contain ALA and GLA in the supplement. Only in the topical!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, there's a ton of information out there about how specific fatty acids can either PROMOTE or DISCOURAGE inflammation, due to their individual effects on inflammatory cytokines, etc. But that's a purely nutritional issue, and doesn't have anything to do with 5a-reductase (at least as far as I know).

Bryan