Flaxseed oil is something seriously worth looking into

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
Since having problems with Finasteride, I've been on the lookout for other ways to combat my DHT. This week I bought some flaxseed oil (the kind in the refrigerated section) and took a tablespoon-full every night. There are studies of Flaxseed oil helping people with prostate cancer. Well, within two days, I felt just as terrible as I did with Finasteride. No energy, no libido, brain fog... the exact same finasteride feeling. I quit it after 5 days, the next morning, felt fine.

I take that to mean that Flaxseed oil actually works. Think of me as the canary in the coal mine. I'm apparently side-effect prone, but if I'm getting sides, there's a good chance that means it's doing what it's reported to do.

I'd love to see what would happen if some guys who don't have my hormone problems try this out. It's cheap enough.

Optimistic

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
jakeb said:
I took a tablespoon-full every night. There are studies of Flaxseed oil helping people with prostate cancer. Well

That's far too much anyway. A teaspoonful is ample according to my bottle.

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
It was a pretty large amount, but it's what the serving size was listed on my bottle.

CHL24

Reaction score
I take flax seed anyway, it tastes like crap but my mom says its good for you're hair and specially you're skin. My mom has great skin for a 55 year old so I was sold.

I mix it with my protein shake and gulp it down, not so foul tasting then. :)

Cassin

Reaction score
Whenever I make an all frozen fruit smoothie I used a whole tablespoon but I use ground flaxseed and not oil.

MY girlfriend puts it in her oatmeal.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ground is the way to go IMO. You get a much higher SDG content and that is what the studies are reffering to.

abcdefg

Reaction score
where on earth do u buy that stuff? i cant walk into sams club or wal mart and find flax seed. How do u grind it up?

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
You can find flax seed in the bulk section of just about any grocery store. Grind it up but roast it for a bit at first, tastes much better.

livng2tell

Reaction score
You can find milled flaxseed (guessing it is the same as ground, as they are small granuals) in the "baking" section at Walmart where all the flour, sugar, etc... is

Optimistic

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's one of the richest sources of Omega 3 essential fatty acids.

Also known as linseed oil (as used in paint and as a wood treatment).

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
So flaxseeds actually block DHT? I didn't realize this. Is this study well known and/or credible? Which would you guys recommend; flaxseeds or saw palmetto?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sir Guy of Frizzbourne said:
So flaxseeds actually block DHT?

I don't know any reason to believe that. I doubt that there's any truth to it.

CCS

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Sir Guy of Frizzbourne said:
So flaxseeds actually block DHT?

I don't know any reason to believe that. I doubt that there's any truth to it.

I agree with Bryan. The mistake probably came from that fact that FREE linolenic acid blocks DHT production topically. The linolenic acid in flax seeds is not free.

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
I think that this is where this stems from.

newsARes.aspx

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Pilot Study Suggests Flax Lignans Help With Hair Loss
2005-04-28 - Acatris

# General Info.
# Key Contacts
# Events
# Products

Minneapolis – Lignans from flax, like those found in the ingredient LinumLife® EXTRA, are suggested to have beneficial effects on hair loss, according to a pilot study released today. Researchers studied how LinumLife EXTRA could positively impact men suffering from the most common form of hair loss, Androgenetic Alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia).

Manufactured by Acatris, LinumLife EXTRA is the first flax extract with a standardized 20 percent lignan concentration (as secoisolariciresinol diglucoside, or SDG). The main flaxseed lignan is SDG and, based on research, consumers need a minimum of 50mg a day of SDG to reap the health benefits attributed to the ingredient.

“Our study findings showed that one capsule containing 250 mg of LinumLife EXTRA per day taken over six months can facilitate modest improvements in men and women’s hair loss,†said Laurent Leduc, president of the North American Health Division of Acatris. “At the conclusion of this study, 90 percent of subjects expressed the intention to keep using the LinumLife EXTRA supplement, suggesting that high lignan flax does play a role in improving hair loss.â€

Over a six-month period, 10 men, between the ages of 20 and 70 and in varying stages of Androgenetic Alopecia, consumed one 250 mg capsule of LinumLife EXTRA. Photographs were used to document hair loss conditions at the beginning of the study. At the end of the test period, eight men reported modest improvement of their hair loss condition, one reported much improvement and one subject reported no effect. Initial effects were noticed, on average, within one to two months of starting supplementation with flax lignans and no side effects were reported. Throughout the study, the daily number of hairs lost decreased and 50 percent of subjects noticed a decrease in oil secretion in their scalp. More noticeable improvements were noted in subjects with more severe conditions of Androgenetic Alopecia.

“Hair loss and thinning hair are frustrating conditions for men and women and most are fairly sensitive to the subject,†said Jocelyn Mathern, R.D., Flax Lignan Information Bureau Advisory Board member. “This pilot study confirms earlier research on flax lignans with respect to their promise in the care of Androgenetic Alopecia and without the sometimes harmful effects of a prescription medication. In addition to benefits for hormone related conditions, such as hair loss, lignans have long been reported to help improve prostate health, reduce menopausal symptoms, promote heart health and have benefits for breast health.â€

Manufacturers such as Jarrow Formulas are leading the market by offering consumers supplements with a standardized amount of flaxseed lignans. To ensure consumers are getting beneficial amounts of flax lignans, Mathern urges consumers to look for such products with a label that declares the amount of SDG, ensuring there is a standardized amount of lignans per serving.

Acatris Inc.’s LinumLife EXTRA is produced through a patented production process. A dosage of 250 mg of LinumLife EXTRA provides 50 mg lignans. This ingredient offers the convenience for one-per-day lignan capsules or tablets. For more information on LinumLife, visit www.linumlife.com. For more information on the health benefits of flax lignans, visit the Flax Lignan Information Bureau at www.FlaxLignanInfo.com.

Acatris, division of the Dutch Royal Schouten Group, is an international organization that produces, markets and distributes ingredients for the food, health and nutrition industry. Acatris has its head office in Londerzeel (Belgium) and offices in The Netherlands, Poland, UK, Canada and USA. The product portfolio contains branded ingredients such as Pectacon®, Dadex®, SoyLife®, FenuLife® and LinumLife™.

Tdevil

Established Member
Reaction score
I just thought I'd give you guys a warning about flax seed. I've read stories about flax seed having damaging effects on your hair. Here's just one of the sites I've read it on...

http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/04/14/flax-seed-oil-and-hair-loss/

I read that flax seed contains a chemical called "cyanogen". It is believed that this chemical inhibits your thyroid's ability to take in iodine, which is essential for hair growth.

Who knows what the hell supplements you can take anymore. Maybe it can inhibit DHT, but cut off your iodine and you just might jeopardize your hair anyway. People have reported that their hair comes out in handfuls on flax seed supplements. Keep in mind, these people may have consumed excess quantities of it.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Its these small tiny studies like this that sucker people into buying all this crap that really probably does nothing. I have yet to see anything natural like saw palmetto, flaxseed, green tea, or countless other things actually stop hairloss or regrow hair in any significant way. I wish something did work because donating 60 a month to merk is not my idea of fun.