fluffernutter's story - (29, updated 9/17/07 with pictures!)

fluffernutter

Reaction score
in the last 8 months i've really been noticing my thinning, mainly on the vertex.
this past monday i got to the point where i couldn't put it off any longer, it was starting to really bother me.
im a nw3-vertex. booked in with my gp and was told i had a 6 month wait to see my derm. went on the cancellation list, and got in for an appointment in 2 days.
derm recommended 2 of the big 3.
i didn't want to take propecia when i went in and saw him and declined the prescription, but after thinking about it all night, and looking online for more information i decided that even if propecia does have very minor side effects over the long run (which i haven't seen any indication of), it still beats the emotional stress that i would go through over the coming years if i completely lost my hair.
so i've rebooked an appointment for dec. 6 to get my propecia prescription.
in the meantime i've ordered generics from evopharm, because theres a good chance he wont prescribe me proscar, and im not really up for paying the heavily inflated propecia prices.
the plan; nizoral a few times a week, propecia daily, and minoxidil after 6 months. i'm going to supplement with imortal hairs top 6 aswell and maintain a healthy diet.
im fairly new to the site, and i haven't really had the time to filter through the vast ammount of threads, so any input would be appreciated.
my funds aren't terribly limited, so adding another 30-40$ a month in product isn't out of the question.
pics of my ever so thinning vertex will be along shortly.
i would like to keep a detailed site/thread of my progress throughout the upcoming years.
thanks for reading my uncapitalized, poorly worded, terribly spaced story.
oh, i forgot, im 21 years old, and i have been thinning all my life really.
i can remember being at the barber at 14 and him commenting on how my hair was thinning around the vertex. it wasn't until i was 19 and i grew my hair long that it became semi noticeable.

fluffernutter

Reaction score
update - 06/12/06
went in to a naturopath this morning about my hair. basically told me everything i've heard before. recommended saw palmetto and phygium, but told me that propecia wasn't a nasty drug and i should give it a go if i wanted definite results.
had my derm. appt. after the naturopath and got my prescription for propecia.
i haven't filled it yet, i have some generic finasteride that i just started this morning.
i have 3 months worth to use first.
so heres my hair as it stands right now.

nizoral 3x a week, and finasteride 7x a week for the moment.
im itchin' to start rogaine, but i think im going to hold off.
my diet is going to include lots of soy, flax and many other goodies.
should i hold off on the spironolactone and copper pepptides until later on in my treatment?
any input?
thanks for reading :D

G

Saw Palmetto is basically a waste. It is about 100 times weaker as Propecia. Your regimen looks VERY good. You are not only on the Big 3, but you have also found immortalhair´s Top 6. Hence I see no reason why you should add spironolactone and copper peptides at this point. Save it for later when the other treatments aren´t working as good anymore(This should be a long time). Good Luck!

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
That you would have thinned so early is disheartening. But that it would take you nearly 8 years to reach this point (with the absence of any massive sheds, I assume) bodes well for you. Your prospects of at least maintenance through the use of finasteride do not seem wholly unlikely. You've still got quite a bit. Add a little rogaine, and you might just see success. But, as a disclaimer, you might not. Early thinning implies that you probably have a rather high follicular intolerance of DHT. Who knows. No reason to not figure out.

fluffernutter

Reaction score
Re: fluffernutter's story - (journey to hairdom)

heres a little picture update.
i think it looks pretty much the same.
virtually no shedding though now.
progressav2wg7.jpg

beaner

Reaction score
Re: fluffernutter's story - (updated 9/17/07 with pictures!)

It's hard to say for sure because the angles are a bit different, but I think you've had slight improvement right around the edges of that spot. Keep it up, it can only get better. In about 6-8 months if you think you may need a boost, try adding minoxidil, but I think you'll do really well on finasteride alone.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

I think its gotten a little worse?

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score

worse? Nope. I don't think so...
You catch it quite early. :mrgreen:
Just ride it out dude. I started seeing results after those terrible shedding. gd luck!

RaginDemon

Reaction score

as long as your maintaining its a success story