Fo' Bryan

HughJass

Reaction score
I'm still on quest to decide weather I should eat certain dairy products or not and came across this study when reading about raw dairy vs pasteurized

In studies of Guinea pigs carried out by Wulzen and Bahr, animals fed whole raw milk had excellent growth and no abnormalities; those fed whole pasteurized milk had poor growth, muscle stiffness, emaciation and weakness and death within one year. Autopsy of pasteurized milk fed animals revealed atrophied muscles streaked with calcification and tricalcium deposits under the skin and in the joints, heart and other organs (American Journal do Physiology, 1941).

which challenges the one you posted in the other thread we had going about dairy:
Other investigators have demonstrated that rats reared on an exclusive whole milk diet supplemented with iron, iodine, manganese, and copper do not develop cardiovascular lesions (Kemmerer, A. R. et al. Am. J. Physiol., 102:319, 1932; McCay, C. M., et al. J. Gerontol., 7:61, 1952

what do you think is going on here? anything worth worrying about? I'm operating on the assumption that the second study involved using pastuerized milk mind you

Petchsky

Reaction score
Look in to kefir aussie, I hear that great for you, that and some probiotics. I tried rice milk recently but didn't like it, soya milk is minging too, only almond milk keft to try.

HughJass

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Look in to kefir aussie, I hear that great for you, that and some probiotics. I tried rice milk recently but didn't like it, soya milk is minging too, only almond milk keft to try.

I'm on a grain free diet at the moment so rice milk is out, I'm not so sure about soy milk being OK to drink, so much mixed information on unfermented soy products. I can have almond milk however. Haven't tried it yet though.

I just want to know if it's safe to keep eating butter. I've quit so many things in the last few years- drugs, alcohol, sugar... don't take butter away from me.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
what do you think is going on here? anything worth worrying about? I'm operating on the assumption that the second study involved using pastuerized milk mind you

I don't see any real conflict between the two studies; and no, there's no indication in the second one that they used raw milk, so it was probably pasteurized. I have no problem at all with the general idea that raw milk _may_ be significantly healthier for you than pasteurized milk, if you can get it.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
I'm on a grain free diet at the moment so rice milk is out, I'm not so sure about soy milk being OK to drink
Soy milk is ok but a bit too rich in omega 6 (1.9 g per 100g), then you'd have to compensate with at least the same amount of omega 3. Considering that the average wester diet is already too rich in omega 6...

HughJass

Reaction score
Bryan said:
aussieavodart said:

I don't see any real conflict between the two studies

can you say why? I'm pretty slow in the head at the moment

cheers

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
They're talking about different medical problems: the first one you cited in this thread was about "poor growth, muscle stiffness, emaciation and weakness and death within one year" and "atrophied muscles streaked with calcification and tricalcium deposits under the skin and in the joints, heart and other organs", while the one I posted some time ago was talking specifically about "cardiovascular lesions", which are caused by free-radical damage to the lining of blood vessels (resulting in oxidized LDL particles), followed by infiltration of foam cells (macrophages), resulting in atherosclerosis.

HughJass

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for explaining Bryan.

Is calcification and tricalcium deposits something that should be of concern to the health conscious?

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
About as un-Australian as your team's collapse in the 1st Innings.

Last wicket just fallen: Victory is ours! Now if we can not be quite so bloody useless in the next away series as we were last time....