Folligen Shampoo v. Nano

Roger Heeler

Reaction score
I already use Nizoral, however wanted to get opinions on adding another shampoo. I am debating between Dr. Proctor's Nano Shampoo and Folligen. Basically my goal now is slight regrowth and maintenance - any information would be great!

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Don't expect to get maintenance or regrowth from just a shampoo....Ah, if it was only that easy. Since you haven't filled out your regimen it's hard for people to help you out with the limited information you've given us.

Cassin

Reaction score
I think Copper-Peptide based shampoos are worthless. That stuff needs to sit on the scalp. It would be as effective as a minoxidil shampoo IMO.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Medicated shampoos can and do work. Look at Nizoral! :wink:

Bryan

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
alone and by themselves with no other items in one's regimen? I haven't heard one success story of someone just using shampoos that resulted in maintanance or regrowth.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
alone and by themselves with no other items in one's regimen? I haven't heard one success story of someone just using shampoos that resulted in maintanance or regrowth.

You haven't read the famous Nizoral study? You haven't seen the before-and-after pics of the NANO Shampoo user on Dr. Proctor's site?

Bryan

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
Medicated shampoos can and do work. Look at Nizoral!

We're talking apples and oranges here. Nizoral works on contact by removing a fungus which causes inflammation and therefore reduces hair loss. Effectiveness is not substantially changed by how long it stays on the scalp. A few minutes is sufficient.

Nano is a growth stimulator similar to minoxidil, and needs to be properly absorbed into the scalp and hair cells. Expecting results from Nano Shampoo is like expecting results from minoxidil by applying for 3min and then washing it out before it is absorbed. It may work a little, but what is the point?

Nano is just a weak natural form of minoxidil. Just use minoxidil, and skip the Nano.

It's disappointing that people misrepresent the facts about products that they philosophically or financially embrace.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JesusFreak said:
We're talking apples and oranges here. Nizoral works on contact by removing a fungus which causes inflammation and therefore reduces hair loss. Effectiveness is not substantially changed by how long it stays on the scalp. A few minutes is sufficient.

Really?? :lol: How about the fact that Nizoral was found to reduce the size of sebaceous glands by ~20%? That's a CLEAR sign of its being able to affect more than just surface conditions on the skin/scalp (probably by way of its mild antiandrogenic properties).

JesusFreak said:
Nano is a growth stimulator similar to minoxidil, and needs to be properly absorbed into the scalp and hair cells. Expecting results from Nano Shampoo is like expecting results from minoxidil by applying for 3min and then washing it out before it is absorbed. It may work a little, but what is the point?

See the before-and-after pics of the NANO Shampoo user on Dr. Proctor's site. A shampoo is obviously not an _ideal_ way to apply a drug to the scalp, but the hydration factor (your scalp will never be more hydrated than it is when shampooing) is an obvious strong impetus favoring absorption. The Nizoral study supports that, as does Dr. Proctor's clinical experience with NANO Shampoo.

JesusFreak said:
Nano is just a weak natural form of minoxidil. Just use minoxidil, and skip the Nano.

BTW, there are probably synergistic effects between NANO and minoxidil.

Bryan

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I have to say that the one and only before and after pic for Nano is pretty lame. Not to mention the hair is combed differently. Makes you wonder how come there's only one set of pics. If it worked really good alone there would be more pics. I would imagine more people would be talking about it too.

I've read the nizoral thing saw the nano pic and still don't think shampoo alone will do much of anything cosmetically for male pattern baldness. However this is just my opinion.

I've still have not seen one post in any forum of somebody maintaining or regrowing just using shampoo alone.

If someone comes here and asks for advice on how to regrow or maintain I don't think anyone's going to recommend shampoo alone.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, whatever. I think you have an idée fixe on shampoos, but it's YOUR hair, not mine! :)

Bryan

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Ok, whatever. I think you have an idée fixe on shampoos, Bryan

I don't think so... I think they can help in the fight. I just don't think someone's entire regimen to combat male pattern baldness should cosist of shampoo only. Shoot I even use nizoral :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
Bryan said:
Ok, whatever. I think you have an idée fixe on shampoos, Bryan

I don't think so... I think they can help in the fight. I just don't think someone's entire regimen to combat male pattern baldness should cosist of shampoo only. Shoot I even use nizoral :)

Well, I prefer THAT response a little better. Before, you seemed to be implying that shampoos are completely inert, and that they can't POSSIBLY have any effect against hairloss.

If you've only read the abstract for that famous Nizoral study, I suggest that you read the full study. It does seem to show that even a shampoo by itself can stabilize the balding process, at least for some individuals. This isn't a question that should be answered in a purely a priori fashion like you seemed to be doing earlier, it's a question to be answered experimentally! :wink:

Bryan