Found this

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
I found this on hairlosshelp.com, I am not really a big fan of the site but I did find this http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/Troymaclure/

If you read his history you will see that he started off on propecia and then switched to proscar. After he switched he said his hair was worse off and he wished that he had never switched, I know this has been posted before but how many HairLossTalk.com members have had this happen. I am taking just proscar and I am wondering how many members here have had success using just proscar and not propecia. I know they are essentially the same I am just wondering if anyone saw results with proscar as opposed to propecia.

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
21gone said:
If you read his history you will see that he started off on propecia and then switched to proscar. After he switched he said his hair was worse off and he wished that he had never switched,

Peace of mind, my friend. That's what I'm paying $60+ a month for... :p

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's the quote from the article:
So, I started taking Propecia around mid-August 2001. By the end of September 2001 I was shedding pretty badly, but around the middle of November it started to improve noticeably. Around the same time I also started Dr.Lee’s minoxidil once a day and topical spironolactone once a day – I had also just found hairlosshelp.com heh.

By Jan & Feb 2002 I felt that ‘wow’ factor of a successful regimen, things looked great. Then I decided to switch from propecia to quartered proscar in March, for cost purposes…man, what a mistake. I lost a ton of hair, tried loniten then lost even more. By May I had lost everything and was shedding so badly. I decided to dump loniten, go back to propecia and switch to Rogaine. By August 2002 things were looking up again, and kept steady til about December, when I added folligen. This irritated my scalp too much and made me lose a lot of hair, so I dropped it.

March 2003 I started Ell-Cranell, and May I started dutasteride (0.5mg a day). By July things were looking okay, then I got the paranoia that my front was thinning so I hopped back on to propecia but this just seemed to make me lose even more. So, around September I re-started dutasteride but this time alternating it with propecia. At Christmas just gone (2003) things felt great again, then Jan 2004 it felt like I was losing again…I briefly dropped dutasteride again (for a couple of weeks) then have re-introduced it because, quite honestly, I think it helps in general. I now still alternate it daily with propecia.

I think this guy had a hard time because he jumped on and off too many treatments too often. He was most likely just going through a shedding phase and got paranoid. I think if you stick with your regimen and don't mess with it all the time you should be fine (at least, that's what I've been told) :)

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
TortoiseAndHair said:
He was most likely just going through a shedding phase and got paranoid.
Bingo.

HairLossTalk.com

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
Bis you never fail to make me laugh with your replies. How has the proscar worked for you?

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
Or he's got some kind of vested interest in us spending $60 a month on Propecia instead of $7 a month on Proscar? Think about it.

Axon

Reaction score
Proscar works for me. To suggest that taking the 1 mg dose will work but cutting up the 5 mg dose will not defies any last remaning shred of logic on these forums.

G

The guy just freaked out during a shed phase. If you look at most of the senior and veteran posters on this board you see that most are on Proscar. It seems like everyone starts off on Propecia first and then they realize they can save $ and get Proscar if they can. As for results with Proscar. I've heard of many success stories with quartered proscar. THe latest and great results i've seen posted with pics here has been Diddy's nine month update. Check it out and lets end this whole debate about Propecia and Proscar being different. Its the exact same sh*t; FINASTERIDE.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... highlight=[/i]

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I had forgotten about Diddy. If I am not mistaken wasn't Troy Mclore a member here before? Well I think it is safe to say that proscar is doing something because I have hit my initial shed phase, oddly enough that kind of makes me happy because it lets me know that the treatment is working. I lost quite a few in the shower and then about 2 hours later I decided to comb my hair and I had about 50 hairs fallout. hopefully by month 3 I will see some small results, I just fininshed month 1.

G

PROSCAR IS PROPECIA
PROSCAR IS PROPECIA
PROSCAR IS PROPECIA
PROSCAR IS PROPECIA
PROSCAR IS PROPECIA
PROSCAR IS PROPECIA
PROSCAR IS PROPECIA
PROSCAR IS PROPECIA
PROSCAR IS PROPECIA
PROSCAR IS PROPECIA
PROSCAR IS PROPECIA