From good results to bad :(

anon082

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well about two years ago i noticed a slight hairloss in frontal area
at about january 2012 i started taking propecia which didnt seem to help (i only waited 3 months and started taking minoxidil 5% once a day and added nizoral 2-3 times a week)

at jun 2012 my hair started filling up and looked alot better :

at about october 2012 my hair was at its best (10 months on propecia + 7 months on 1x5% minoxidil+nizoral) :

i couldn't be happier but then some side effects started to kick in and i decided to decrease the amount of propecia to 3/4 tablet and then to half a pill a day.

even tried taking full pill every other day , my hair kept getting worse (i was using mixing the amount of propecia i took , sometimes it was half sometimes 3/4 sometimes a full pill , kept on 1x5% minoxidil a day and nizoral 2-3 a week)

at about feb 2013 i started taking using 1x5% minoxidil and 1x10% minoxidil a day (hoping it will cover up for the less propecia i was taking , also switched to finpecia in order to save money , kept having about the same minor side effects while taking 1/2 or 3/4 pill so i guessed it does the same job)

after 5 months on 10% minoxidil (once a day) my hair just got WORSE and worse by the minute :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

then i decided to just start taking 2x5% minoxidil instead of the 10% , kept taking about 1/2 or 3/4 pill of propecia

At October 2013 i decided to just go back to to a full pill of propecia (at December i decided to try using real propecia again justt to see if it would make a diff)
so since October 2013-now (jan 2014) i'm using 1 pill of propecia (gotta say that the really bad sides that made me stop taking it didn't reappear) + 2x5%minoxidil + nizoral 2-3 times a week

and i just gotta say that in the past 1-2 months my hair just keep on getting ****ing worse , it's like since the first time i stopped taking full pill (1.5-2 months after that) that i started losing hair , nothing would help
my hair today :
screen capture

screen capture freeware

I gotta mention!! that through all this time my crown stayed about the same (i did have really minor thinning when i started treating but the propecia filled to about really full) and it didnt change over the time , about 85% of the density lost is in the frontal areas (where i put minoxidil)
What i'm really wondering about (and would like to know what you think is if there's a chance the minoxidil did only bad for me)
everytime , ever since i added the second time a day for minoxidil (first the 10% , then went to 2x5% a day) my hair just kept getting worse!,

I'm really wondering why even after doing all that and taking back full pill of propecia my hair keep getting thinner (i would expect for it to atleast stay the same)

Sorry it's this long but i wanted to show the progress , please respond :).

anon082

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bump , anyone help please? i really wonder if any one have a good advice or idea of what went wrong

aj218

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You said that you changed to 10% minoxidil when you lowered the dose of propecia. Maybe the combination of the two was enough to induce a shed. Do you see any signs of regrowth?

anon082

My Regimen
Reaction score
As i said after 5 months on 1x5%+1x10% minoxidil a day + 1/2 or 3/4 propecia pill a day i only noticed hair loss and no gain so i switched to 2x5% minoxidil
Right now i'm at one full pill of propecia a day + 2x5% minoxidil and still only experiencing hair loss and thinning , my front hair just keep on thinning like hell and i dont know the reason since
I'm back to full pill and take minoxidil twice a day (every treatment that increased minoxidil amount or dose just gave me worse results and that's why i think it may done more bad than good for me , atleast since i started 2xminoxidil a day).
opinions about this will be welcomed :(

scorpiolove

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
take some self time

As i said after 5 months on 1x5%+1x10% minoxidil a day + 1/2 or 3/4 propecia pill a day i only noticed hair loss and no gain so i switched to 2x5% minoxidil
Right now i'm at one full pill of propecia a day + 2x5% minoxidil and still only experiencing hair loss and thinning , my front hair just keep on thinning like hell and i dont know the reason since
I'm back to full pill and take minoxidil twice a day (every treatment that increased minoxidil amount or dose just gave me worse results and that's why i think it may done more bad than good for me , atleast since i started 2xminoxidil a day).
opinions about this will be welcomed :(

I noticed that your hairline was best when you used propecia with nizoral 3 times a week keep up this regime and,id say drop the minoxidil to once a day,and try to avoid stressful activities for a while, go on vacation and enjoy the hair you got on your head.

Last edited:

anon082

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well i'm still on 1 pill of propecia per day + minoxidil 5% twich a day and nizoral 3 times a week...

Can honestly say my front line of hair is thinning slowly and isnt getting any better , although i'm about 3+months on full propecia pill...

Really considering going back to minoxidil 5% once a day but im afraid it will make things worse :( , i can seriously say i didnt see any good come from using minoxidil twich a day..

Please give me your thoughts about this matter (if u dealt with anything like that it will be very helpfull)
Thanks!

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Just to be straight Anon you have taken finasteride. consistently for approximately 2 years? What brand of finasteride. and have you alternated brands at all . Its unlikely,but there have been anecdotal reports in the past of users buying bogus finasteride. More plainly put; is the finasteride you are using of a reputable quality and have you been on it nonstop as directed? Best wishes and thanks for sharing.

anon082

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea i'm on propecia for 2 years (but there been times i took half or 3/4 of a pill a day)

At first used real propecia , switched to finpecia , and now im 2 months back on original propecia , but seriously i feel like the areas i apply minoxidil twich a day on are thinning , i need thought about decreasing to once a day :s

der29

Established Member
Reaction score
looks like its time for dutasteride and stay off the minoxidil. **** doesnt do anything

anon082

My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest , due to propecia sides i'm afraid to touch duts as it's supposed to be stronger which means worse sides , which im not willing to risk

Still thoughts about minoxidil are welcomed ..

Bad

Established Member
Reaction score
To be honest , due to propecia sides i'm afraid to touch duts as it's supposed to be stronger which means worse sides , which im not willing to risk

Still thoughts about minoxidil are welcomed ..

I fell the same as you, the places where i apply minoxidil are getting thinner IMO. Next month I ll be going to my dermatologist and ill ask her about it.

anon082

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well still noticing Temple thinning exactly where I apply minoxidil, I'm really desperate for opinions about decreasing it to once a day, please comment

anon082

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well , about 2 weeks after the last time i commeneted on this post i decreased i'm using minoxidil about 1 time - 2 times - 1 time (each day) and so on ...
THIS WEEK i'm noticing like dramatic!! hair loss , my hair just seems so much thinner , and i dont notice that much hair shed when i comb my hair btw , again the thinning hair is only where i apply minoxidil ...
PLEASE help! , idk if to go back to 2 times immediately or w/e to do , i can actually feel the hair thinner by the days..

BrianP

Established Member
Reaction score
Well , about 2 weeks after the last time i commeneted on this post i decreased i'm using minoxidil about 1 time - 2 times - 1 time (each day) and so on ...
THIS WEEK i'm noticing like dramatic!! hair loss , my hair just seems so much thinner , and i dont notice that much hair shed when i comb my hair btw , again the thinning hair is only where i apply minoxidil ...
PLEASE help! , idk if to go back to 2 times immediately or w/e to do , i can actually feel the hair thinner by the days..

If you the hair shed is ONLY where you apply minoxidil then maybe its a shed before regrowth.. i doubt minoxidil would cause hairloss.. although i have heard of some cases where people had very irritated scalp from minoxidil + nizoral shampoo combo which dried the skin too much and caused some hairloss.. not sure if thats your case but if it is then you should be experiencing redness and itchy spots where you apply the minoxidil...

I rly think you should stop worrying and just keep applying it because there can only be 2 things that could be happening in my view:

1- Your hair is shedding from minoxidil and is going to regrow thicker n stronger
2- The hair loss you are experiencing is just a really agressive and unstoppable hairloss and the fact that its only shedding where you apply minoxidil is a mere coincidence because maybe thats the spot that is going bald first??

Either way you shouldnt worry cuz its out of your hands now, just keep doing what u r doing.. Using the products n such, theres not much you can do other than that..

Wish you the best