frontal shedding on finasteride

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
hi, as far as i remember i never found hair on my fingers while applying minoxidil on the frontal area, only from the crown. i think minoxidil did help my frontal area but over the five years i have applied it there has been a slow decline in frontal thickness.
so i decided to start on finasteride for 14 months now. things are now flipped- the hair in my frontal area is now easy to pull out- say 10hairs each time i apply rogaine. whereas my crown area doesn't shed half as much as it use to.
my frontal area is quite thin now and every hair counts if you know what i mean! i dread rubbing the rogaine here each day.
anyone able to shed any lights on this?

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
I've experienced a pretty bad shed from finasteride as well. It had been thick there forever and then a month into using finasteride it has thinned to the point where I can see through my hair (scalp). It has been like this since April, and I'm hoping for the hairs to return.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if this is a sign that finasteride is working in the frontal area, or that finasteride is causing me to lose more frontal hair. I know that finasteride is not as effective in this area but I figured that if Minoxidil worked for me (when some people claim it doesnt in the front) then finasteride was worth a pop. Benjamin36 I too shed quite a bit when I first started, and then I shed in cycles. I think it will come back for you, just ride it out. Overall I think my hair line has receeded up a bit since I been on finasteride (possibly 1cm) and this has 'aged' me a bit, but overall it has improved the thickness of hairs that I have reminaing and so I suppose Im glad im on it. I just dont want it to get any worse!

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
yes i too want to know why some people suggest taking finasteride every other day. have their been any studies on this?

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm also curious about this every other day thing.

I've only heard that people who get side effects are supposed to decrease the dosage because it may decrease the sides, and having some finasteride in your system is better than none.

B

Beingbaldsucksass

Why do you say that? What's the explanation behind every other day?

That your hormones not jumping too fast what causing an aggressive shed, and according to reasarch the pill effect stays in the bloodstream for 72 hours, I'm 2 weeks every other day, no aggressive loss

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also curious about this every other day thing.

I've only heard that people who get side effects are supposed to decrease the dosage because it may decrease the sides, and having some finasteride in your system is better than none.

Every other day is not "some"