FSHGLD's story (23, NW4) +nizoral question..

FSHGLD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been lurking on this forum for a month or two now and have been pretty astounded by some of the results I've seen...I had kind of assumed that because I started going bald young (prob 18-19, I'm 23 now) I'd have no chance of fighting it..I know my odds aren't the best but this site has given me some hope..I'm prob the equivalent of an NW4 at this stage, (I look most like the NW3 Vertex but thinner all over...my widow's peak is slightly 'broader' than the example, but still probably looks just as receded)
I'm under no illusions that I'll have a full head of hair again, but lately I've been thinking that if I do nothing to fight this I might be totally bald by the time I'm 26 or 27, and I think there's a big difference between being a NW4 and NW7 at that age. My head is starting to look a bit shiny when I look in the mirror with light from directly above, and that gets to me a lot. I think I look OK with a semi-bald shaved head, but want to at least have a go at delaying my path down the shiny route. If you think about it women seem to find a semi-bald shaved head on a good looking guy pretty tolerable (Zidane, Ljungberg, Daughtry, Statham, Diesel) but you rarely hear anything good being said about an NW6 or 7.

Anyway, the question..... as my hair loss has progressed, I've always seemed to have a pretty bad itch at the areas where the loss has just spread to..I've been unable to find any info on this (maybe I've just looked in the wrong places- I didn't know about this site until recently), but I've always been sure there's a link...Just wondering if anyone thinks I might be likely to respond well to Nizoral for this reason, as it's an anti-inflammatory product? I get the impression that most balding guys don't itch nearly as badly as me.
I'm probably gonna get some minoxidil too, and I'm weighing up the pros and cons of finasteride at the moment. I've heard the horror stories but I think at least some of the posts on propeciahelp are just paranoia...(when I first heard of 'ball ache' as a side effect, I realized my balls were aching at that exact moment)....surely the FDA must have some integrity?
Anyway, any thoughts on the nizoral/itch idea, or my situation in general? Do you think it's worth it for a 23 y/o NW4 to get on the big three? (I'd be happy to just maintain but any regrowth would obviously be awesome..) I'd post photos, but to do that I'd have to look at them...

sunsire

Reaction score
Hi, I cant comment on the effect of nizoral. Effects of minoxidil (noticeable regrowth no side effects that i saw) seem very good if only for a year or so, but worth a try.

But... When you are 26/27 and bald, If you got on it now and I didn't work you can at least say "I tried". No regrets. And if it does work, you'll be one very happy chappie.