Fue For Hairline - Is 1000 Grafts Enough?

Ban Baldness

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been in the beginning stages of contemplating/researching an FUE to bring some fullness back to the hairline area. (Age 40.) I would like to achieve a realistic look (but subtle change) within a thousand grafts or less, if possible. I've included several photos to hopefully get some advice on:

1) Whether or not that's a realistic estimate

2) If I'm even a good candidate for the procedure

One of my biggest concerns is being in a position a few years from now where "gaps" are forming between the planted hair and an area of continued recession back from the forehead. So I'm including a timeline of four photos dating back to 2000 (age 21) to show the rate of change to the hairline during that time. I'm assuming this could be used as a gauge to predict the rate of further recession?

I've also included a current crown/vertex angle (one shot with flash, one without flash) to see what folks think about possibly needing to add some density in that region, or if I should just focus the entirety of the grafts on the hairline situation. (See enhanced photo edited to show my desired hairline look with 1,000 or less grafts.)

There is also a rear view (donor) picture included.

I've been using Minoxidil the last year or so in the crown/vertex region as well as applying it around the hairline in the manner I would like to see growth there. I can't say I've seen any real benefit in the hairline area, although there may have been some slight improvement up top. At the very least, the Minoxidil has achieved stability up top, if not improved things a bit.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!

001.jpg
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

Abi28

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are a great candidate for FUE, your donor is good, your hair loss is minimal for your age so this can be easily fixed but you might need more than a thousand graft, you should send your photos to a a couple doctors and get an estimate about grafts and all that, overall your hair is good and the result you want can be achieved, good luck.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Don't be hair greedy with a transplant. You have a good head of hair that is completely age appropriate. In fact it is better than many guys your age.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you get one done be sure and go to one of the best because hairlines are the easiest thing to screw up, plus make sure they harvest over a large area. One of the top doctors should be able to do what you want.