Fully shaven head or 1 week growth?

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Anyone have opinions on what looks better, fully shaven head or 1 week growth to give some outline, which still avoiding the horseshoe? I am NW6.

I think fully shaven looks good in formal attire, but in day to day clothing, I'm not too sure.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it looks better with a bit of regrowth, even if it's showing a horseshoe I still think it looks better than clean shaven.

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
Depends on the scale of your hair loss, I´d say.

If you have dark hair - you are going to have that shadow look even if you razor it down to as close as you can get, you are still going to see your male pattern baldness.

If you have a receding and have thinning hair too, probably keep it as short as you can is best as at least it will keep it all the same length and if you have for example a more see-able thinning bit at the back, it won't be as visable if it´s a fresh shave compared to a week or two´s growth where you might see the thinning areas.

If you are just receding and not thinning, I think it looks better with a bit of growth.

You can also experiment with concealers on a shaved dome as well. I found this thread from another forum which makes the guy´s hair look not too bad but again it depends on your outlook on concelaers, if you can be bothered with the mainteance of them all.

I don't know what this is but I´d guess it´s a 0 all over or even he razor´s his hair, but it looks alright on him.

http://i-marbella.com/files/Upload/Arti ... ge-340.jpg

Then again, about 8 years ago he had a full flowing NW1.
http://www.shop.sportsworldcards.com/ek ... 6138-p.jpg

I wouldn't say he's a stunning looking man, and his ears even pop out a little but seems to suit it alright.

BrightonBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
cant use carr as an example, he still has a strongish hairline even if it isnt totally straight

Stephen-Carr.jpg

ask any bald bloke on here, they'd LOVE to have his hair

0,,~9461095,00.jpeg

here he is last week after winning the cup final, hes thinning on the crown but even with a shaved head, any sort of hairline makes you look 10 times better

BrightonBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
hiya said:
If you have a receding and have thinning hair too, probably keep it as short as you can is best as at least it will keep it all the same length and if you have for example a more see-able thinning bit at the back, it won't be as visable if it´s a fresh shave compared to a week or two´s growth where you might see the thinning areas.

A week or 2?! The length of time between my head shaves in the early days of male pattern baldness steadily narrowed from a week to the point I'm at now, where I have to shave virtually every day, maybe 5 times a week.

When it comes to a horseshoe, you have to do it every day.

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Brightonbaldy,

I suppose you are right about Carr. He does have a ok ish hairline. What is that Norwood 2? It really does show me that unconsciously thinking he looks reasonably good bic/razored but he does have a hairline.

Do you shave with a Razor or Clippers? How bald are you?

Has anyone had a FUE on the hairline but keep it shaved down due to thinning?

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
BrightonBaldy said:
A week or 2?! The length of time between my head shaves in the early days of male pattern baldness steadily narrowed from a week to the point I'm at now, where I have to shave virtually every day, maybe 5 times a week.

When it comes to a horseshoe, you have to do it every day.

Is avoiding the horseshoe shape that important? I thought only excessive horseshoe hair growth changing the faces shape looked bad, a weeks horseshoe looks OK.

BrightonBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
hiya said:
Hi Brightonbaldy,

I suppose you are right about Carr. He does have a ok ish hairline. What is that Norwood 2? It really does show me that unconsciously thinking he looks reasonably good bic/razored but he does have a hairline.

NW5 here, just a few puny hairs left in the bald areas, thick blonde hair round the sides.

I've referenced this plenty of times but I used to shave my hair down tight like Stephen Carr does (hes got to be between a NW1.5-2) long before I started going bald, so I know the massive difference between having a shaved full head of hair and a shaved bald head. I'd love to have Carr's hair.

I'm not sure if its possible, I dont see why it wouldnt be with both head donor hair and body hair, as long as you were shaving down to virtually nothing then it wouldnt matter where the hair came from. The normal response on this forum is 'whats the point if youre going to have anyway?'.... like I say I know the difference between having a bald and shaved head, its like night and day.

CaptainForehead- when it comes to how the face looks, its all about the hairline. You'd be surprised how fast hair grows in the space of a week.

FC 

Reaction score
BrightonBaldy said:
hiya said:
Hi Brightonbaldy,

NW5 here, just a few puny hairs left in the bald areas, thick blonde hair round the sides.

I've referenced this plenty of times but I used to shave my hair down tight like Stephen Carr does (hes got to be between a NW1.5-2) long before I started going bald, so I know the massive difference between having a shaved full head of hair and a shaved bald head. I'd love to have Carr's hair.

I'm not sure if its possible, I dont see why it wouldnt be with both head donor hair and body hair, as long as you were shaving down to virtually nothing then it wouldnt matter where the hair came from. The normal response on this forum is 'whats the point if youre going to have anyway?'.... like I say I know the difference between having a bald and shaved head, its like night and day.

CaptainForehead- when it comes to how the face looks, its all about the hairline. You'd be surprised how fast hair grows in the space of a week.

That is genius. And I'm not being sarcastic. (At this site you have to say that!)

IMHO people who shave their head right bald but have no hair on top look like sad and desperate people trying to hide the obvious that they are bald. They are better off using clippers on level 1. People who shave their head but have a hair line look like people who probably have some hair loss that they are trying to hide but people will give them a break in the court of public opinion because they might just be badass and even if they are hiding hair loss it's actually working unlike people who are obviously bald. And it's just more aesthetically appealing even if it's just a shadow of a hair line.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
FC  said:
IMHO people who shave their head right bald but have no hair on top look like sad and desperate people trying to hide the obvious that they are bald. They are better off using clippers on level 1. People who shave their head but have a hair line look like people who probably have some hair loss that they are trying to hide but people will give them a break in the court of public opinion because they might just be badass and even if they are hiding hair loss it's actually working unlike people who are obviously bald. And it's just more aesthetically appealing even if it's just a shadow of a hair line.

Interesting logic...

BrightonBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
FC  said:
That is genius. And I'm not being sarcastic. (At this site you have to say that!)

In theory, you could use hair from anywhere on your body, you could put bloody pubes on your head ffs.... it'd just be expensive and alot of work.