Fundi's Story - (age 22, Pics Included)

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So I've just turned 22 and have been losing hair for just over 4 years now - It's been slow and thinning is more of a problem than the actual recession. But it's starting to become noticeable. If I can maintain what I have I'll be delighted. Actually, looking back at pics of me when I was 15 I'm sure thinning temples are noticeable then! So I feel a bit blessed it's occuring so slowly.

Pics aren't the best quality.

Left Temple (Better temple)
firstdayma3.th.jpg

Right Temple (Worse temple)

firstday2vm7.th.jpg

Overall
getattachmentyq0.th.jpg

This pic was taken a few months ago - My hair doesn't look quite as good as this now but not too bad so you can see why it would be ideal for me to act now.
overallyu0.th.jpg

Crown and centre of hairline are fine. - Although the thin hair of the right temple is starting to spread towards the centre.

So today I've decided to start finasteride!

I've dissolved 5mg Proscar in 19 tbl of brandy to give a 0.26mg dose to start. (Bit worried it hasn't dissolved fully as I can still see white particles.) Will gradually build up to a .5mg dose, and maybe 1mg.

Revita Shampoo
Cod Liver Oil and Multi Vitamin.

Anyway advice would be fantastic.

Thanks for reading.

p.s. I have been diagnosed with male pattern baldness - I'm not just being paranoid about a mature hairline - Clearly evident by the thinning temples.

Thinneritgoes!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Fundi's Story - Pics Included

Your hair looks great right now man. Nice hairstyle too.

You decided to act at a good time. You shall have many years of great hair ahead of you!

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Thanks mate, means a lot. The reason I've decided to act is that I can see that hairstyle being very difficult to pull off within a year - The problem is due to my head shape etc. it's one of the few styles which 'shapes' the rest of my face if that makes sense. I look bad with long hair, I may as well buzz my head when this style becomes impossible, it's my next best look.

I only ever get complimented as being good looking with that hairstyle lol. My hair's naturally fine, so without been spiked up to give 'volume' it looks a bit crap.

Do you agree I'm doing the right thing, starting with a low dose of finasteride and Revita/nizoral and working my way up to 0.5mg? Keeping off the minoxidil for now?

Thinneritgoes!

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I know exactly what you mean man. That hairstyle is what I looked good in forever. Long hair made me look awful and and shorter I didn't look good. Now my hair has thinned too badly for that style. Hopefully the meds kicked in.

I was off meds for awhile and it really did damage to my hair>

You are doing the right thing. Try it out for about a year. If at that time your hair hasn't gotten any worse (may even thicken those thin parts up), then stick with it. If it does get worse, up the dose.

Don't start the minoxidil until you really need regrowth.

But as of now man, enjoy that awesome hair, take the finasteride, and forget about hairloss!

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Thinneritgoes! said:
I know exactly what you mean man. That hairstyle is what I looked good in forever. Long hair made me look awful and and shorter I didn't look good. Now my hair has thinned too badly for that style. Hopefully the meds kicked in.

I was off meds for awhile and it really did damage to my hair>

You are doing the right thing. Try it out for about a year. If at that time your hair hasn't gotten any worse (may even thicken those thin parts up), then stick with it. If it does get worse, up the dose.

Don't start the minoxidil until you really need regrowth.

But as of now man, enjoy that awesome hair, take the finasteride, and forget about hairloss!

I hope it's that simple for my own sanity :mrgreen: Although since finasteride takes a few months to work it would be normal to lose a bit before I start maintaining, right? I don't really need any regrowth (Although of course it would be nice, or thickening up of existing hair)

Anyway I'm glad I've started finasteride, no sides to report (On err....day two :innocent: ) The prospect that I may have a decent head of hair into my mid/ late 20s/early 30s is something I'd not thought was at all possible before.

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Update at nearly a year stage.

Having been paranoid about sides, micro dosed finasteride, came off finasteride for a month, added spironolactone in March 2009.

I've continued to lose groud (The thinning hair at me temples is stretching towards the centre of my hairline, but the centre is still ok at the moment) though not a dramatic difference. I'm content, but not delighted, I really want to stop this thinning.

Pulling off that style is becoming more and more difficult.

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score
Fundi said:
Update at nearly a year stage.

Having been paranoid about sides, micro dosed finasteride, came off finasteride for a month, added spironolactone in March 2009.

I've continued to lose groud (The thinning hair at me temples is stretching towards the centre of my hairline, but the centre is still ok at the moment) though not a dramatic difference. I'm content, but not delighted, I really want to stop this thinning.

Pulling off that style is becoming more and more difficult.

You were paranoid, or you experienced REAL sides? I don't get it.

It's a good thing that it goes at a slow pace, in your baseline pics you were in the "mature hairline" stage, you might not have aggressive balding. You can try minoxidil foam if things get a little worse...

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Still not 100% sure as to whether I'm paranoid or not.

Basically, since starting finasteride, I have the same sex drive, no man boobs or anything like that. However, my erections are still 100% as hard, but don't feel as 'intense' i.e. don't get that throbbing feeling. :gay:

However, this could have been there before I started finasteride, and just be because I'm older now. It's not like I remember them like that the day before I started finasteride, then noticed this effect two weeks later.

There was also no change between 0.25mg, and 1mg, and when I came off it for a month. - So I'm starting to think finasteride had nothing to do with it.

I'm thinking about minoxidil, but I've heard a lot of stories in terms of shedding and stuff which can cause havoc with hairlines.

I don't think I have agressive balding...I first noticed it when I was 17, and have yet to recieve a comment about it and am coming up to 23. In fact, I saw a side picture of myself when I was 15, and even then the hair at my temples was noticeably thinner than the rest of my fringe so I think I've always had finer hair at the temples for some reason...or it started really early.