FUT and FUE difference?

MrDepressed

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know this may be a stupid question but what's exactly the difference between FUT and FUE? I've read it I still don't get it, any easier words to explain? Thanks

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know this may be a stupid question but what's exactly the difference between FUT and FUE? I've read it I still don't get it, any easier words to explain? Thanks

FUT (or "strip"): surgeon extracts a "strip" of skin from the back of your head, where hair is much less subject to DHT fall. Takes grafts of hair from said strip, then inserts them on top of your head (where he carved the "beds" for them) where hair will restart growing after an initial "shock". Too bad that this leaves you a scar on the back of your hair, which you are supposed to cover with the hair remaining at the back.

FUE: hair is extracted directly on the back of the head, singularly, without first extracting a "strip"'of hair. This leaves next to no scarring. Too bad that this procedure costs a lot more and apparently the extracted hair has fewer chances to stick to top of the head, because it is more difficult to extract hair directly from back of the head without risking a damage to the root.

FUT is an older technique and more surgeons are comfortable with it.
FUE is newer.
Were I to do it again, I would do FUE for less scarring.

Hairon

Established Member
Reaction score
But then isn't the hair from the FUE implant will eventually fall? isn't that a total loss of money?
Also, what is the average pricing for a FUE implant and a FUT implant?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, if the hair is extracted from the back, it should last for life. The problem is the surrounding non transplanted hairs which will continue to be lost. Finasteride and minoxidil can potentially stop or dramatically slow this down though.

As Roberto stated, the main differences are

Price - FUT is cheaper
Scar - FUE is better, no obvious scar if you keep your hair short.
Recovery - FUE patients recover quickly, FUT patients take longer.
Graft survival - FUT generally results in better graft survival. On average 90% vs about 75%, however various factors can affect this. In big sessions, fatigue sets in and grafts may be left outside the scalp for longer. In smaller sessions, they're out and back in quicker. Some clinics let the techs do the extractions, this should be done by the doctor who has the most experience to ensure he doesn't damage the follicle being extracted or neighboring follicles. Straight hair is easier to extract than curly hair via FUE. Surgeon experience is paramount. The best FUE surgeons can get yields of 90%+ and the best FUT surgeons can get yields of 95%+

Hairon

Established Member
Reaction score
If hair keeps falling off then you could just do a second hair transplant, no?

What are the worldwide known recommended clinics for FUE?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, but you can end up chasing your own. Hair transplants are supposed to give long lasting imrpovement, but they take a year to grow in fully, and if you lose more hair than you transplanted, that's a net loss for the year. If you have very slow male pattern baldness then it can work, just get another hair transplant later or if you are on finasteride and it's working, but most people only have 6-8000 available grafts, that's not enough to properly cover a bald head. Maybe it would be enough for an NW3, OR 4 at stretch, but not for NW5 or 6.

Piyush

Reaction score
FUE is rightly said, safer and cosmetically accepted surgical technique for transplanting the hairs from donor area by extracting individual hair follicles and implanting to the bald area. NO scar will be visible.

Whereas, FUT involves extracting a strip containing hair follicles from the donor area and hence leave a linear scar.

FUE hair transplant is mostly preferred over FUT hair transplant due to many reasons. Have found some good information over here:

Ravinder

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
FUE is rightly said, safer and cosmetically accepted surgical technique for transplanting the hairs from donor area by extracting individual hair follicles and implanting to the bald area. NO scar will be visible.

Whereas, FUT involves extracting a strip containing hair follicles from the donor area and hence leave a linear scar.

FUE hair transplant is mostly preferred over FUT hair transplant due to many reasons. Have found some good information over here:
Thanks for this information.

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
It should also be sent dad FUT takes hair from the so-called sweet spot of the donors where the hair is more likely to be truly permanent whereas FUE takes from a broader area of the scalp and some of the hairs from the upper and lower portions of the back and sides of the head may miniaturize overtime and fall out.