Fut Graft Numbers. Why Such A Big Difference

Dcd

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering why there is such a huge difference in the grafts I see in before and after pics. How can one person have only 1400 grafts and another 6000 or even 9000 grafts? There is no way people can differ that much it units/sq inch. Are there different ways of counting things?

Thanks for any help!

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of factors that go into this. Obviously density is a major factor. The other thing too is that there are huge variations in the length and width of the strip that different surgeons take. There are also individual factors involving scalp laxity that help decide how big the strip can be.

There are a lot of different feelings on how to do this. Some surgeons try to take the biggest strip possible although this may place more tension on the sutures or Staples and the scar during healing. Other people take a smaller strip or a narrower strip in hopes of having a less visible scar. Some docs sit in the middle. also, some of these factors are difficult to predict and one person could have a gigantic strip taken and essentially an invisible scar and somebody else could have a very modest strip taken and wind up with a very prominent and or stretched scar.

topcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you were to take an average donor area with an average capacity of 5000 fu at original density of an average of 80 fu/cm you could fit them into a 3” square. If you took an average density that a hair transplant can achieve which might be 50% probably less it would fit a 5” square. If you account for lost fu's through surgery and the donor also being susceptible to DHT over the long term a 4” square would be a safer bet. If you cut a 4” square and move it around the top of your head as an exercise you will get a basic idea of what is possible to achieve at 50% density. The math is the math is the math. People can make up numbers but when one puts the finger to the calculator the math doesn’t lie. Once one understands the math first then one can move on to the next step which is this procedure is incredibly difficult to master. But you have a customer base that is desperate so anybody can get into the business and make a go of it. All it takes is a little marketing.

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
People may disagree, but I think the math still favors FUT over FUE in terms of getting the most bang for your buck in terms of follicular units from the sweet spot, which is why we do not see FUT going away even as FUE becomes super popular. FUT for some people just makes a lot more sense.