Gaining weight and permanent hair loss? plz help!

Abercrombie

Reaction score
This is most likely normal male pattern baldness kicking in. The hairs in front has lost some of their color too, am I right? It's completely normal and nothing dangerous, it's just classic male pattern baldness.

you might wanna consider meds!

uphillbattle

Reaction score
This is most likely normal male pattern baldness kicking in. The hairs in front has lost some of their color too, am I right? It's completely normal and nothing dangerous, it's just classic male pattern baldness.

you might wanna consider meds!

I read it could be cause of "environmental insult" and drinking a gallon of milk a day for 2 months was certainly out of the norm for me.

Could this be telogen effluvium or does it seem like I have male pattern baldness. I never really noticed any loss prior to consuming such massive quantities of milk that made me really androgenic for a while and surely messed with my hormones a lot.

Abercrombie

Reaction score
Trust me when I say this, and I'm pretty sure I speak for most members on this forum: stress, poor nutrition, wearing a hat all the time, telogen effluvium and so forth is EXTREMELY RARE and I have yet not seen any case here on hairlosstalk that is not caused by normal male pattern baldness.

Male pattern baldness almost always starts with a receding hairline, such as yours (telogen effluvium does not, so drop those thoughts). Mine started out in the same way. And yes, it is highly likely that you've inherited the baldness gene from your mothers side: lots of people do. And yes, it sucks, but it's not the end of the world!

HairGuru22

Established Member
Reaction score
There are two possibilties. One is that you are progressing towards mature hairline and it won't recede further, or the worst one classic male pattern baldness. The only way to keep what you have or get some regrowth is finasteride. So, the question is what are you going to do? I personally believe you should act now before is too late, you still have thick hair and a lot of people won't notice that you are balding..

uphillbattle

Reaction score
Ya I looked it up. Milk also seems to have a high insulinotropic response and its main protein source casein is purportedly not an easily digestible protein. In any case, I know that drinking so much milk couldn't have been good for me, or my hair, and that's is why I was surmising that the hair loss experienced could be connected to telogen effluvium from the crazy hormonal fluctuations I subjected my body to for the 2 month period I was on it. I'm still not sure whether I should wait this out or not. Also this study gives me reason to believe milk may have caused the loss that I experienced:

"Likely link involves Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 as a general stimulant, synergized by the steroid hormones present in milk. The IGF-1 may be either absorbed from milk, or stimulated by its ingestion, or both. The 5alpha-reduced compound 5alpha-pregnanedione (5α-P) present in milk is a direct precursor of dihydrotestosterone and may act through that pathway in prostate cancer, "

Perhaps it could be beneficial to all on this forum to reduce dairy intake.