Gardener's Product Review - T/Sal Shampoo

The Gardener

Reaction score
From time to time I like to add in a new piece to my Hairloss Regimen and for the last month or so I have cycled in T/Sal shampoo, just to see what it is like.

T/Sal's active ingredient is Salicylic Acid, which is a fruit acid that is supposed to exfoliate the scalp. This, according to the T/Sal documentation, is supposed to reduce flaking. Additionally, according to Dr Lee, Salicylic Acid's exfoliation is also supposed to help with Minoxidil absorbtion which he states as being a significant factor in successful minoxidil therapy.

Well, I have no personal problems with flaking, but I do have occasional slight itching that usually stays in check if I am good with my shampoos.

My observations on T/Sal: Applying it and shampooing, I felt no strange sensations... it feels just like a normal everyday shampoo. I let it sit a few minutes, and rinsed out. First thing I noticed is that it leaves a slightly greasy residue on the hair that I really could not rinse out well. I suspect it might be residue from one of the shampoo components, or perhaps liquefied scalp cells, or something... I have found over the course of the month I have tried it that I have to follow it up with a second shampooing using my normal "Mild" shampoo (Paul Mitchell Shampoo 1) to get rid of this.

Another thing I noticed is that it really seems to dry out my hair! Of course, this may be due in some part to the second shampooing I have to do, but it is something I felt was worth documenting here. A good conditioning alleviated this sensation, and all in all my hair feels very clean after using it!

After a few weeks usage, 2-3 times a week, I noticed that the application of minoxidil did seem to have more of a slight "sting" to it. Well, I don't mean that in a bad way, but the best way I could describe the sensation is that I could seem to feel the alcohol content of the minoxidil on my scalp.

Another observation is that the minoxidil seems to hold a lot faster to the scalp. This is not a scientific observation, but it seemed to me that my scalp was a lot less 'slick' and there was less drippage of minoxidil when applying it to the more angled surfaces of my head. A good thing! Same sensation after applying the copper peptide spray.

Overall, I do think that it has been great for my scalp! I have not had a hint of itch since starting it, which over the course of a month is remarkable. I think I am keeping T/Sal in my regimen, it just feels good to use and I hope that Dr Lee is correct in saying it helps with minoxidil absorbtion. I think I am going to cut it down to 1-2 times a week, though.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Great news. i also use the t-sal with the acid along with dr. lee's xandrox (has azelaic acid also) minoxidil and i too feel the sensation. Hopefully dr. Lee is right..

Cassin

Reaction score
The man covered everything.....I love the stuff, been using it for 5 months I think.

On a side note, I have read that it takes roughly 6 months of use for our scalp to reach and keep it's best absorbtion via T/SAL.

I love the way it makes my hair look, it never really dries me out either.

G

Cassin said:
The man covered everything.....I love the stuff, been using it for 5 months I think.

On a side note, I have read that it takes roughly 6 months of use for our scalp to reach and keep it's best absorbtion via T/SAL.

I love the way it makes my hair look, it never really dries me out either.

Cas baby

Where did you see that, got a link for an old man?

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think T/Sal is a great addition to any regimen.

Cassin

Reaction score
Sorry Ty, I have looked everyhere for that link and can't find it.

From what I remember it was a comment from a Derm and not a study on hairloss topicals with use of T/SAL.

G

Cassin said:
Sorry Ty, I have looked everyhere for that link and can't find it.

From what I remember it was a comment from a Derm and not a study on hairloss topicals with use of T/SAL.

oh well!

I does say on the bottle that the bebefits come "with reguar use" so It kinda makes sense anyhow...

cheers

Ty

The Gardener

Reaction score
Okay, a few questions about T/Sal.

First off, after I rinse it out, there is a slight greasy-smooth feel to my hair, almost a hint of oil. For a while, I was doing a second shampooing to wash it out, then conditioning. Lately, I have been letting this greasiness stay in, and then condition, and by the time my hair dries this sensation in my hair seems to go away.

So, to the T/Sal users out there, do you use the T/Sal, then rinse and repeat the T/Sal as the instructions say?

Have any of you noticed this slightly oily feel in the hair after using it? It doesn't seem to stay once the hair is dry, so maybe it is not something to concern myself with.

Do you condition after usage?

Thx, Gard

G

me:

T/Sal > Ketopine (Nizoral) > Conditioner

No greasy residue.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I lather for about 60 secs, let sit on head for about 5 mins. Follow with nizoral in same manner. Condition afterwards. No greasy residue. H & S on non-nizoral days.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Gardener: I had to buy the generic brand of T-Sal when at CVC a month ago. (They were out of Neutrogena.) No greasiness.

Went by a Rite-Aid yesterday and picked up the T-Sal by Neutrogena (tried it for the first time right now) and it leaves the hair a little "softer" than the generic brand. Same ingredients but in different order. Still not greasy though.

(Some of the "fatty acids" are higher on the list in Neutrogena than in the generic brand.)

The hair feels a little dryer with the generic but not that much. Both had the same percentage of the active ingredient.

Cassin

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
So, to the T/Sal users out there, do you use the T/Sal, then rinse and repeat the T/Sal as the instructions say?

Not anymore. I used to but I stopped as it seemed like a waste to me.

The Gardener said:
Have any of you noticed this slightly oily feel in the hair after using it? It doesn't seem to stay once the hair is dry, so maybe it is not something to concern myself with.

I get that light greasy feel too but I love the way it makes my hair look so I don't care about that aspect of it. It's probably one of the inactive ingredients.

The Gardener said:
Do you condition after usage?

I use a heavy moisturizer 3 or 4 times a week so yeah sometimes. After awhile it will start drying out your hair so I do this as a preventive measure.

My shampoo regimen....

T/SAL one day
Nizoral 1% next
TIGI: Thickening shampoo next

Repeat. This allows for 2 or 3 times a week Nizoral/T/SAL usage as stated on the bottles. Each left in for about 5 minutes.

I typically use the conditioner followig the Nizoral or T/sal. TIGI: Moisture Maniac is good stuff. You can go to a salon and get a liter for about $20 vs about $12 for a tiny bottle at a grocery store.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, guys.

I had stopped worrying about the slight greasiness after I just left it and let it dry, and noticed that once the hair was dry the greasiness was no longer there. I'm going to wash with T/Sal once, no repeat, and then follow up with conditioner 3x week.

Cassin

Reaction score
T/SAL was the final add-on to my regimen for a long time. I am sticking with this for 2 or 3 years I suppose.

With what is currently readily avialable, next add-on should results ever falter is spironolactone and perhaps NANO.

G

what means this here, sir?

"Unless it is his bastard troublesome cousin, the 1.5% version(AKA "Neutrogena: Scalp Health")."

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
That one is know as T/Gay in the UK.

Rumour has it he's related to the defunct god Moloch.