Garlic with vitamin C increases nitric oxide levels by 300%?

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I found the bolded part interesting.

New breakthrough studies suggest certain nutrients promote healthy memory and hearing
By Dr. Allen S. Josephs
Co-Founder & Chairman, Vitacost.com 03/22/2007

I like to think that I stay fairly current with the latest medical literature when it comes to nutrition. Needless to say I was rather surprised when I came across a recent study on folic acid that I had not previously seen. The article was published in the prestigious journal Annals of Internal Medicine January 20071. The objective of the study was to determine whether folic acid supplementation could slow down age related hearing loss. The study involved 728 older men and women with a plasma homocysteine level of 13 or greater and a B12 level of 200 or greater. In addition there were no individuals with middle ear problems, unilateral hearing loss or other pathologic ear conditions. Participants were given daily doses of 800 mcg. of folic acid or placebo for 3 years. At the end of the study whose individuals supplemented with folic acid slowed a decline in the hearing in the speech frequencies associated with aging. I had previously mentioned in a prior newsletter the results of another parameter that was being followed in this double blinded study out of the Netherlands which was published in the January 2007 edition of Lancet2. Those individuals who were given 800 mcg. a day of folic acid for 3 years significantly improved memory, information processing speed and sensorimotor speed compared to the placebo group.

There was a study published in the March 2007 edition of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition3. I must say that when I was reading the abstract I was somewhat offended as they referred to a group of elderly subjects which they noted being over 55 years old. I am currently 56 years old and certainly don't feel "elderly". In this study 50 healthy subjects between the ages of 55 to 87 were given either 45 mg a day of zinc or placebo for 12 months. At the end of the study the incidence of infections was significantly lower in the supplemented group.

There was a small but interesting study just published in the journal Nutrition Research4. Six subjects with marginally elevated blood pressure in the range of 140/90 were assigned to take placebo for 10 days. After a one week washout period they then took vitamin C 2,000 mg. daily for 10 days. After one week of further washout the six were then given 650 mg. daily of garlic tablets for 10 days. After the last washout, garlic and vitamin C were then given another 10 days. The vitamin C apparently did not have any effect on blood pressure. The garlic did result in a lowering of systolic but not diastolic pressure. However when both vitamin C and garlic were given together mean systolic and diastolic pressures were reduced to 110-120 and 75-80. The blood pressure increased when the combined supplement was stopped. The authors of the study suggested that garlic and vitamin C increases production of nitric oxide by about 300% which positively affects the inner lining of blood vessel cell walls. Whether this data will be confirmed in a bigger study is yet to be determined. It does remind me of a study on garlic many years ago indicating those receiving garlic improved the elasticity of the aorta and literally reversed decades of aging off this critical cardiovascular component.

In a final note, I would like to call attention to the extremely dangerous drug that is likely sitting in your medicine cabinet called acetaminophen. It goes by the trade name of Tylenol and is also included in many other analgesic medications such as Darvocet, Percocet and others. In the January/February 2007 edition of the Journal of American Pharmacist Association, 104 patients were surveyed while attending a local university clinic. The patients indicated that a large percentage of them were using acetaminophen in the last 6 months but more than 60% of the patients stated that they never received or were not sure they had received information about the possible dangers of high doses of acetaminophen. It happens to be that acetaminophen overdose is now the most common cause of acute liver failure in the United States. Unfortunately I have a friend who developed cirrhosis from taking Tylenol on a regular basis for headaches and other pains along with having an occasional beer. Acetaminophen is highly toxic to the liver. If you take it I would recommend you follow the labels directions and avoid the long term use of it. Also certain nutrients such as 600 mg of N-acetyl-cysteine raise levels of the glutathionine the acetaminophen depletes. Glutathionine is an essential powerful antioxidant required to keep the body and liver healthy.

Nutraceutical Sciences Institute® (NSI®) has been ahead of the curve in adding larger doses of folic acid in our Synergy line of multivitamins. If you look at the supplement facts label on your typical multivitamin the dose of folic acid is 400 mcg. whereas most Synergy products contain at least 800 - 1,000 mcg and even higher. It is important to note that folic acid should not be taken in high doses without adequate doses of B12 as well. Of course we've got this covered in the Synergy line using the most expensive bioactive form of B12 called methylcobalamin in doses way over the absurdly low RDA/DV levels. The zinc that we use in the Synergy products is called L- OptiZinc which is an extremely bioactive organic form of zinc. NSI® offers a standardized deodorized garlic extract with each capsule containing 600 mg. garlic standardized to a minimum of 3% alliin per capsule. In addition we just launched two new garlic products one with red yeast rice to promote healthy cholesterol and one with lecithin to promote healthy liver function in addition to all of the other benefits of the garlic.

I am pleased to announce NSI® has recently lowered the prices for its flagship patent pending ToCoQ10™ softgels. These superior CoQ10 products contain 100% Japanese natural trans form pharmaceutical grade CoQ10 combined with powerful antioxidants including tocotrienols, rice bran oil and also include Bioperine to enhance absorption. I want to warn you, many well known brands of CoQ10 are using inferior Chinese CoQ10, if they do not say 100% Japanese natural trans form CoQ10 buyer beware.

1. Durga J, Verhoef P, Anteunis L, Schouten E and Kok F, Hearing in Older Adults, A Randomized, Controlled Trial, Annals of Internal Medicine, January 2, 2007, Volume 146, Issue 1, Pages 1-9

2. Durga J, van Boxtel PJ, Schouten EG, Kok FJ, Jolles J, Katan MB, and Verhoef P, Effects of 3-year Folic Acid Supplementation On Cognitive Function In Older Adults In The Facit Trial: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Controlled Trial, The Lancet, January 20, 2007, Volume 369, Pages 208-215

3. Prasad A, Beck F, Bao B, Fitzgerald J, Snell D, Steinberg J, and Cardozo L, Zinc Supplementation Decreases Incidence Of Infections In The Elderly: Effect Of Zinc On Generation Of Cytokines And Oxidative Stress American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, March 2007, 85: 837 - 844

4. Mousa AS and Mousa SA, Cellular effects of garlic supplements and antioxidant vitamins in lowering marginally high blood pressure in humans: pilot study, Nutrition Research, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 119- 123

http://www.vitacost.com/newsletter/news ... 70322:main

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Vitacost is a darned fine company, with terrible customer support. Otherwise they provide good topical information, and quality cutting-edge products at a very affordable price. They mostly have my trust.

As a country, we would be very smart to follow the innovative lead of Japan and India. Our own FDA, health care industry and pharmaceuticals, are failing us big time, in preventing access to unpatentable alternatives. For instance, Merck realizes it cannot completely patent a more bioavailable form of folic acid, or Metafolin (l-methylfolate.) But that hasn't stopped them from protecting their own self-interests, and trying to force competing less expensive over-the-counter formulations off shelves, including Source Natural's Metafolinic. Source Naturals has now undergone their second name change. Don't get me wrong, I congratulate Merck for the funding behind truly beneficial drugs like this one.

http://www.metafolin.com/
http://www.cerefolin.com/

Yes, this simple methyl B-vitamin formulation -- able to cross the blood-brain barrier -- or vitamin C/proline/lysine combo -- able to restore vascular health -- could start helping to prevent disease, and improve quality of life today. Although, think of how many doctors are otherwise ignorant to the benefits of supplementing with CoQ10, and how it plays a large part in the Krebs cycle. Now imagine taking a drug in rather large doses, such as Lipitor, the most prescribed medication in the world, or any statin none to deplete CoQ10; and suddenly it's like a train heading for a collision course. That's the American health care industry, as orchestrated by the FDA, in a nutshell.

Format

Reaction score
Any updates on the whole garlic and vitamin C thing? Nitic oxide is used in minoxidil right? Does it help hair if created internally?

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, minoxidil (C9H15N5O) shares the same mode of activity already as a chemical vasodilator.