gave up the ghost

Silverfox1

Reaction score
I decided to quit finasteride after about 18 months. Still using Minodixl.

For those that are interested I will describe my experience.

While on finasteride, I had very mild side effects. The most pronounced was an ache in my right testicle from week 1 until I quit, and the occassional feeling a bit queasy/mild stomach ache. I must admit I have always felt uneasy about using finasteride.

Upon quitting the pain in by right nut has just about gone, still feel it when twisting/stretching (I hope that will vanish in time).

Didn't have erection problems or watery semen.

My hairloss is mainly at the crown, very thin and appeared as a medium size bald spot. Back of my head is pretty thick, as are the sides. Started to thin out down one side though and looked unhealthy.

With the aid of dermatch and toppik, I looked like I had a full head of hair. IMO The finasteride enabled me to maintain my hair and improved its thickness. It did not do it enough to fill in my bald patch.

On a night out I could talk to women with no perception of my hairloss. In the office people began to notice I was applying products to disguise my hairloss. I became paranoid and didn't want to go out much and if I did, i always tried to position myself away from bright lights and not let people get behind me.

It became a faff to apply the toppik/dermatch in the morning and sometimes I applied it too thick and it looked terrible.

I could have continued like this for another couple of years but did not want to.

I decided to shave my head for the first time in my life. At first I didn't like it although everyone said it suited me. Over the past few months I actually think I look alright (bighead LOL). I would describe my self as average looking, not ugly, not a Tom Cruise, just average. I would rather have my hair, no doubt, but I do feel happier overall.

A shaved head does feel really good and my scalp itch has disappeared.

I do have reasonable frontal covereage which I thinks helps with a shaved head. My bald spot is obvious now but is not emphazied with the surrounding hair short.

For me, I could not be a slave to the treatments any longer. I believe I could have regrown a bit more hair but not enough to make me happy.

Do people ignore me now I am bald?No. Do people treat me diffferently than people with hair? No. Does going bald suck, yes it does, but life is what you make it. I forgot that for a time, but I am now doing something about it.

Good luck to everybody on the BIG 3, I hope it works for you. My only advice, is try not to let your hair be an all consuming issue in your life.

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I'm sure most here will be in your shoes at some point, but buying time before that, is the name of the game.

Enjoy your true freedom from hair loss!