Gene_Fighter's Story - (22/ been losing hair since 14)

Gene_Fighter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all, here's my balding story, we've all heard some variation of it before so I'll try to remain as brief and succinct as possible:

22 almost 23 now, started noticing my hairline thinning and receding at about 14, was very self-conscious about it however so I doubt anyone could notice anything until I was about 18. Unlike a lot people here I don't think I've jumped the gun on my hairloss--I've been styling my hair to deceive myself for years now, and I am finally knowledgeable enough about the options and desperate enough to try them.

I've been on 1.25mg of finasteride for almost two months and use nizoral every 3 days or so--personally I think we should all change the Big 3 to the Big 2--Finasteride and Minoxidil--because Nizoral absolutely doesn't do a thing if you are not already suffering hairloss due to dandruff and inflammation. It's simply a fact. Nizoral has no proven hair loss benefit in those who do not have dandruff or inflammation.

No real results yet to report with the finasteride, but I am considering using Rogaine Foam on the hairline and over my entire scalp, which is why I am posting today. I have heard horror stories about the shedding associated with Rogaine Foam when used on the hairline in which the thin vellus hairs fall out and never regrow, and as you can see, I don't think my hairline could withstand that, as it primarily consists of very weak and thin vellus hairs.

Has anyone here that is a receder used Rogaine Foam on a thinning hairline and what was the experience like? Do you think I could risk trying it with my thinning hairline?

All the men on my mother's side are completely bald--worse case scenario in terms of inheritance--and they're all strong receders and became bald at an early age. This is why I just don't think the finasteride will be enough, and any advice on the Rogaine Foam would be appreciated.

Also any comments/comparisons on my current hair-style and hair-loss pattern would be appreciated.

Attachments

• mid crown 2.JPG
    mid crown 2.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 365
  • widow\'s peak 1.JPG
    widow\'s peak 1.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 361
  • widow\'s peak and right side 1.JPG
    widow\'s peak and right side 1.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 349
  • front--swept back.JPG
    front--swept back.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 366
  • front--styled.JPG
    front--styled.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 384

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 22 year old receder, been losing hair since 14.

Gene_Fighter said:
I think we should all change the Big 3 to the Big 2

I don't.
Gene_Fighter said:
because Nizoral absolutely doesn't do a thing if you are not already suffering hairloss due to dandruff and inflammation. It's simply a fact. Nizoral has no proven hair loss benefit in those who do not have dandruff or inflammation.
Sigh..

Anyway, as for your treatment i agree with adding Rogaine to your regime. Good luck.

Gene_Fighter

Established Member
Reaction score

Axl_Rose said:
[quote="Gene_Fighter":1i94lzsh]

I don't.
Gene_Fighter said:
because Nizoral absolutely doesn't do a thing if you are not already suffering hairloss due to dandruff and inflammation. It's simply a fact. Nizoral has no proven hair loss benefit in those who do not have dandruff or inflammation.
Sigh..
[/quote:1i94lzsh]

Ok. Well you can sigh, I guess... Or you could provide an actual argument as to how I am wrong.

Nizoral is designed to treat the fungus that causes scalp dandruff and inflammation. In some people with severe dandruff and inflammation this causes hairloss--so for them Nizoral may help with their hairloss. But Nizoral is not FDA approved to fight hairloss for people with male pattern baldness or with scalp dandruff and inflammation. This is because there just isn't any evidence to show that Nizoral has any effect on hairloss what-so-ever.

Like any product today, you can google search it and eventually find some ambiguous and contrived study that will claim the product works for this and that. Bottom line: not FDA approved, doesn't work.

I guess I'll just search around for how others faired with Rogaine Foam on the hairline for comparisons.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score

You have better hair than me and I started losing it at 17, I'm now 19.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

if you style your hair in the first pic, you look fine.

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score

Gene_Fighter said:
[quote="Axl_Rose":mdweuyzw][quote="Gene_Fighter":mdweuyzw]

I don't.
Gene_Fighter said:
Sigh..
[/quote:mdweuyzw]

Ok. Well you can sigh, I guess... Or you could provide an actual argument as to how I am wrong.

Nizoral is designed to treat the fungus that causes scalp dandruff and inflammation. In some people with severe dandruff and inflammation this causes hairloss--so for them Nizoral may help with their hairloss. But Nizoral is not FDA approved to fight hairloss for people with male pattern baldness or with scalp dandruff and inflammation. This is because there just isn't any evidence to show that Nizoral has any effect on hairloss what-so-ever.

Like any product today, you can google search it and eventually find some ambiguous and contrived study that will claim the product works for this and that. Bottom line: not FDA approved, doesn't work.

I guess I'll just search around for how others faired with Rogaine Foam on the hairline for comparisons.[/quote:mdweuyzw]

Nizoral is a mild anti-androgen and there have been multiple studies on it improving hair count. Its benefit doesn't come solely from treating inflammation.

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score

decro435 said:

No where near it according to your pics.

FreeloaderUK

Established Member
Reaction score
I quit using Nizoral didn't seem to be doing much- finasteride & minoxidil seem to be doing ok- thinning isn't worsening.

Gene_Fighter

Established Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I will eventually try the Rogaine Foam now, if my hairline thickens up I will start then. It is stated right on the label of Rogaine Foam that it's not to be used for frontal hair loss--but I have noticed a lot of people seem to be having success with it in that area, so I'll give it a try.

decro435 said:

Decro: I have to agree with Tyler_Durden. Unless you put up more pics in your story thread that show some hairloss, you're definitely just a classic case of over-reacting.

bluefin

Reaction score
So hasn't anybody here tried Lama's or Pristeen, etc... I'm doing really well without the so called big3 - Caffeine topical / shampoo should also form part of your regime. FDA certainly isn't the be all and end all...

BJL

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all, here's my balding story, we've all heard some variation of it before so I'll try to remain as brief and succinct as possible:

22 almost 23 now, started noticing my hairline thinning and receding at about 14, was very self-conscious about it however so I doubt anyone could notice anything until I was about 18. Unlike a lot people here I don't think I've jumped the gun on my hairloss--I've been styling my hair to deceive myself for years now, and I am finally knowledgeable enough about the options and desperate enough to try them.

I've been on 1.25mg of finasteride for almost two months and use nizoral every 3 days or so--personally I think we should all change the Big 3 to the Big 2--Finasteride and Minoxidil--because Nizoral absolutely doesn't do a thing if you are not already suffering hairloss due to dandruff and inflammation. It's simply a fact. Nizoral has no proven hair loss benefit in those who do not have dandruff or inflammation.

No real results yet to report with the finasteride, but I am considering using Rogaine Foam on the hairline and over my entire scalp, which is why I am posting today. I have heard horror stories about the shedding associated with Rogaine Foam when used on the hairline in which the thin vellus hairs fall out and never regrow, and as you can see, I don't think my hairline could withstand that, as it primarily consists of very weak and thin vellus hairs.

Has anyone here that is a receder used Rogaine Foam on a thinning hairline and what was the experience like? Do you think I could risk trying it with my thinning hairline?

All the men on my mother's side are completely bald--worse case scenario in terms of inheritance--and they're all strong receders and became bald at an early age. This is why I just don't think the finasteride will be enough, and any advice on the Rogaine Foam would be appreciated.

Also any comments/comparisons on my current hair-style and hair-loss pattern would be appreciated.