General question on multivitamins

DJW

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I read somewhere recently that an excess amount of zinc supplementation can cause hair loss, as well as iron deficiency.
I've noticed that my hair has thinned essentially all over the top of my head. Not really noticeable visually, but I can feel the texture is different.

I was just curious because I've been taking a multivitamin in addition to a zinc supplement, and was hoping to add an iron supplement as well. For those of you that are knowledgeable on these types of things, is it enough to just take the multivitamin? For example, my multivitamin label states that it contains 15 mg of zinc, which si 100% of the daily value, while the supplement is 50 mg and 333%. What constitutes excessive?

Also, as kind of a sidenote, does anyone know what are some general foods that are rich in iron? I figured it might be easier to just eat more healthily than to take supplements...

Thanks.

Stingray

Reaction score
I believe meats are high in iron.

You would be a fool to assume that your hair loss is caused by vitamin deficiency or excess. You need to look at your family and see if there's any form of male pattern baldness along your lines. Even if ONE person has thinning hair, even if it's like 40 generations back, you more than likely have it too. But , you can always go to the hospital and get a heavy metals test done to see if that's what's causing any problems

If the hair is thinning on top of the scalp, I will assure you 110% that it's male pattern baldness.

G

DJW said:
Hi everyone,

I read somewhere recently that an excess amount of zinc supplementation can cause hair loss, as well as iron deficiency.
I've noticed that my hair has thinned essentially all over the top of my head. Not really noticeable visually, but I can feel the texture is different.

I was just curious because I've been taking a multivitamin in addition to a zinc supplement, and was hoping to add an iron supplement as well. For those of you that are knowledgeable on these types of things, is it enough to just take the multivitamin? For example, my multivitamin label states that it contains 15 mg of zinc, which si 100% of the daily value, while the supplement is 50 mg and 333%. What constitutes excessive?

Also, as kind of a sidenote, does anyone know what are some general foods that are rich in iron? I figured it might be easier to just eat more healthily than to take supplements...

Thanks.

Supplemental iron for men has been counterindicated for some time, UNLESS you have a documented case of anemia.

Doubt that you do.

BTW-the pyrth zinc in H and S shampoo has been shown to be effective in fighting male pattern baldness. Put it on your head, not in your mouth.

:lol:

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
String is right,(if you dont have male pattern baldness and just need iron)meats are a good source.Also try seafood and oatmeal.