generic minoxidil, rogaine, or dr. lee's minoxidil, which one?

Reaction score
Which kind of minoxidil does everyone use for frontal/temple region and have good results? I've been using kirkland signature generic brand 5% minoxidil on the temples for 7-8 months, only to have them recede more, leaving a bunch of vellus hairs in their place.

I am wondering if it is the brand of minoxidil I am using is not so great, and if I should switch to Dr. Lee's or Rogaine. I get lots of flakes from generic minoxidil by the way. Not sure if all minoxidil does this or if it is the PPG.

Grandpa

Established Member
Reaction score
I can say with virtual certainty there's nothing more than a cosmetic difference between generic minoxidil and rogaine. They both have 5% minoxodil and in the case of those two it's the only thing functioning. I believe this extends to Dr. Lee's too, although I vaguely remember hearing he has different formulas, some of which are supposed to have elements either helping minoxidil asbsorption or beneficial in their own right. Anyway, in my opinion the all probably work equally well in terms of restoring hair.

As for the flaking, I've read there is a difference between how well tolerated the different brands are. It seems like Kirkland is the roughest, then Rogaine, while Dr. Lee's is the most flake-friendly. Again, I don't know any of this first-hand. It just seems that way.