Getting help

clydro

Reaction score
Has anyone ever sought out the help of a counselor/psychologist for emotional toll that hair loss causes? I’m about the lowest I’ve ever been with hair loss and seriously considering getting some help. All I do all day is worry about this damn hair on my head and it’s defiantly affecting my marriage and my life… Hell, anymore I just prefer to stay home and not go out in public……

s.a.f

Reaction score
clydro said:
Has anyone ever sought out the help of a counselor/psychologist for emotional toll that hair loss causes? I’m about the lowest I’ve ever been with hair loss and seriously considering getting some help. All I do all day is worry about this damn hair on my head and it’s defiantly affecting my marriage and my life… Hell, anymore I just prefer to stay home and not go out in public……

I think if you spoke to any psychologist you'd find that the answer is yes many have.
I've read psychology text books that have had whole chapters devoted to it. There was even a study that found that over 90% of totally bald men said they would trade the last 10 yrs from the end of their life to have never lost their hair.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/410576_2

jonsie150

Established Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
treeshrew said:
s.a.f said:

"One man felt strongly enough about his Androgenetic Alopecia to do self-castration."

holy sh*t!

That's no joke. Believe it or not, that was going on back in the 1970's, as a way to prevent male pattern baldness, perhaps even earlier than that.

Anyways, RE: seeing a shrink

My opinion is: don't even bother and save your money!

All you are going to get from a shrink are the same old cliches:

"hairloss isn't everything"

"don't worry about it, you look fine"

"many men and women suffer from baldness"

"it's not a big deal"

"you should feel lucky you don't have a physical handicap"

"just get on with your life and don't worry about losing your hair"

"be thankful you're not a cancer patient"

There. Now you have heard just about everything a shrink is going to tell you... FOR FREE! :woot:

That was funny. I got a good laugh out of it (and I'm not trying to be sarcastic here). But really, the field of psychology isn't as bogus as people make it to be. Sure there are quacks out there. But a good one might help you gain a lot of insight. Of course this means you'll have to try them out until you find a good one, but hey it's worth the try.

Boondock

Reaction score
It might be worth it. I'd expect that a decent therapist would actually spend very little time reassuring you about your hair. I think they'd spend more time questioning whether your hair is really the problem.

They'd might question whether you're really sad because you don't have a significant other in your life, because you don't believe in your core self enough to rock your life without hair, or because you have some deep-seated lack of confidence - a reality that hair loss merely brought to the surface. Sometimes these are questions worth asking.

If you don't like it after one or two sessions, there's not normally a contractual obligation to keep going.

evil smile

Reaction score
i have had depression and anxiety since i was 12 (22 now). not to be cocky but i have always been one of the best looking people in the crowds but as far as i can look back ive had severe hatred towards myself. i have always hated how i looked and always tought people were constantly laughing at me due to my mothers verbal abuse of me.

well last week i went to the shrink in my school and we just talked. After the session i was suprised of how much stress i had released. im by no means super happy again but it has certainly helped me along.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I went to a shrink. Like Dude said it was a waste of time. He could not relate at all to how I was feeling and other complications from being bald because of course he had a full head of hair. But we talked about BDD and that only got so far. He was not equipped to handle me.
Today is my birthday. I'm 35 today and all I could feel is bitterness because so many people freak out about getting older when they have nothing to show for it. I might as well be turning 65 IMO because I have spent the "prime" of my life until now as a bald man. I think of my alternate universe self with a full head of hair celebrating his thirty fifth birthday and how much better off his reality is than mine and I just want to make this my last birthday because there is no compensation or consolation coming to make up for my lost life.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maybe in the 1800s when no one lived past their 40s or 50s, then the 20s were your "prime". But sorry, I still consider 35 to be pretty damn young and still your prime.

jonsie150

Established Member
Reaction score
you know, it takes work from both parties to get through this kind of thing. its not like the therapist can magically solve all your problems like a magical drug. we pay the person, and we expect the person to do everything for us. but the truth is WE (ie our attitudes) are the problem, and thus the majority of the work has to come from us.

im just saying, yeah, there are certainly psychologists out there who might not be very good at handling these issues. but even if you do find a good one, you're gonna have to do your part and be a patient and receptive listener. im not trying to blame anyone here for anything. im just stating a point

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Uman is that your real picture on your avatar? You dont look bad mate, its a shame you cant see it for youself, but like you said on a previous post your peception is your reality.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I honestly think you will get more psychological support from some of the select members on this forum than paying some shrink. Most of the people on this forum are going thru the same issues so its much easier to talk about your problem on here than to some shrink who has not experienced the same issues. S.A.F. has definitely helped me alot with his perspectives. I don't post much on here anymore but if there is one thing I got from this place was some emotional psychological support. I learned that I was not the only one on this planet with BDD and with endless obsession with my hair. Just reading there are people just like myself is comfort enough to know that I am not as much of an oddball as I thought I was. I still know I AM but at least I know where to find people who will understand what I am going thru. I know my situation is not nearly as bad of most of the people on here but my unhealthy obsession with my hair is pretty common to this forum. I am really glad that this type of forum exists because I honestly think for some people it will make a difference as it did for me.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Smooth said:
DoctorHouse, i cant recall seeing your photo here...?
I never posted any photos. Nor do I plan too. I sent a photo to my psychologist, s.a.f. and he knows my situation. He will confirm that my loss is only minor but he understands how it can still bother me.

Boondock

Reaction score
If that's a real pic of U-M, I gotta say he rocks the bald look pretty darn well. It looks cool man, probably one of the better "fits" for the sly look I've seen in a long time.

barcafan

Reaction score
we need real life HairLossTalk.com meetings so we can talk sh*t about people with good hair

Nene

Reaction score
I too have had anxiety and depression since I was about 12 or 13. I'm 25 now and still suffer from depression. I saw a psychologist and nothing she said helped me get over my hair loss although it did help me get over one of the most depressed times in my life. I would say that it's worth a try to go and talk to a therapist/psychologists/psychiatrists/counselor etc. You have nothing to lose, and they may help you get to some underlying BDD or depression that is the real issue. As for me, I basically accepted that bald men are a laughingstock to the world. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy life. Sure I would never dare show my balding head at a club or try to talk to a girl ever again, but there is more to life. I decided to try to focus my life on a career and helping others out. Partying, sex and relationships are just one part of life.