Good hair multivitamin

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I want to get your opinions on a good standard multivitamin to take for overall hair health as well as health in general. I typically take a centrum multivitamin in addition to whatever other vitamins I'm taking for my hair (MSM etc).

In addition to the above I used to take the Natrol "Hair Skin and Nails" vitamin but I noticed that even with drinking tons of water my urine was florescent (so the vitamins must not be too bioavailable).

I switched to taking "Hair Effects" from Davinci Laboratories for the past few months. My urine is now clear again, which is good; but this supplement has a things like Saw Palmetto in it that may have some negative sides like decreased libido etc.

Is there another overall hair supplement I can take that is just good for overall health and won't mess with hormones or anything? Thank you in advance.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm very happy with NSI, and my urine is a nice coloured yellow instead of the gleaming yellow stream I get when I take my friend's multivitamins when I stay at his house.

http://www.gonsi.com

I take the Synergy Supreme, costs 120 or so a month. But they have much cheaper multis with basically just vitamins and maybe some bioflavonoids and stuff like that. Anything I've ever gotten from NSI has come in a capsule form.

Sean68

Reaction score
why is it bad to have flourescent urine? i get it too from multivits

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
It means your body isn't processing the vitamins because

1) you are not drinking enough liquids

or

2) the vitamins are not in a readily bio-available form

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any other picks besides the NSI stuff? I am looking for either something to replace my current Hair Vitamin (see above) while i still take a Centrum multi. OR Something that would replace my need to take both of them.

Sean68

Reaction score
ahhh so theyre not being broken down properly. thanks.

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks like the same potentially effective stuff as Hair effects (saw palmetto etc).

Any other suggestions for general hair health multivitamins without hormone altering things like saw palmetto? Thanks

liquidfirex

Reaction score
Ouroboros said:
It means your body isn't processing the vitamins because

1) you are not drinking enough liquids

or

2) the vitamins are not in a readily bio-available form

Pretty sure it's excess water soluble vitamins your body doesn't need. Doesn't have to do with not enough water or bio-availability.
If yeah took 13 g of vitamin c, you're body needs to expel a lot of excess, so it passes through the kidneys and you piss it out.

Drinking more liquids would water down the urine, and it would appear less yellow, but it doesn't help the body use more of the excess vitamin.

killbill123

Established Member
Reaction score
Nioxin makes a helluva vitamin for skin and hair...here's a link...i got a free sample when I bought some of the Nioxin shampoos and it made my hair nice and soft and helped with the inflammation....I haven't bought it since because I can't find it in any stores...here's a link...

http://nioxin.com/index.cfm?objectId=35 ... 6173E673F7

It contains saw palmetto and Vitamin B and other stuff that is recognized as good for hair...

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
If ya read the top of this thread I am looking for stuff that doesn't have potential hormone issues like saw palmetto.

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
Which one a day chemical J? Should I take it instead of centrum + hair vit? Bah...I might just switch back to Natrol's "Hair Skin and Nails" vitamin.... I just don't want to take anything with saw palmetto type stuff; i actually think i am getting mild sides from it.

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
On this topic; is there a good objective website that compares different multivitamins and such? Thanks.

killbill123

Established Member
Reaction score
Ouroboros said:
If ya read the top of this thread I am looking for stuff that doesn't have potential hormone issues like saw palmetto.

From what I've heard, saw palmetto is simply too weak, and not concentrated enough in a multivitamin, to give you any kind of hormonal issues. Relax, it's not nature's finasteride no matter what anyone claims.

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Countrylife Maxi-Hair and my wizz is luminous yellow... so woss the best way round this getting more vitamins to stay in my body malarkey?

It's too pricey and has some good ingredients to be wasted!

poochy

Reaction score
I started taking a suppliment called great hair it really worked for me, not as far as regrowth or anything but it made my hair fuller, shiny and just healthier. I think the main ingredients that helped were L-cystene(an amino acid) biotin and silica,the others you can get in a good multi. The other good thing is it was relatively cheap $12 a month.