Goodfellas's Story - (21/Time to stop the balding)

Goodfellas

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I recently turned 21 and I've began to notice that I'm slightly balding. All the males that are older in my family have a lot of hair loss. I try to eat very healthy, what more can I do to prevent balding?

Pics of me:

lasteopp2.jpg

sengabilde195.jpg

Currently I'm using Omega 3 and Biotin. Tomorrow I'll also start on Green Tea Extract. I'm also consider Saw Palmetto and a B-complex.

I tried Minoxidil, but it gave me horrible headaches. I also tried 1mg of propecia, but it gave me insomnia. Today I tried 0,5mg of Propecia early in the morning, so we'll see wether this gives me insomina also. As for the sexual side effects of Propecia I didn't notice anything.

I'm also using the Nisim shampoo daily.

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Time to stop the balding

monty1978 said:
no offence but you are not slightly balding. At 21 you are showing the first signs of agressive balding. Looking at your pictures you are destined to go fully bald. I had the same type of hair you do at about 23 receding thinning fine blonde hair.

Your only hope is propecia. Get some anti fungals as well. If insomnia is the only side you are getting from finasteride then I would deal with that as a seperate issue. Get up early work hard or train hard and take valerian tincture in water before bed. have a chamomile tea too.

Best of luck

well said monty.

Galaxy86

Reaction score

monty1978 said:
no offence but you are not slightly balding. At 21 you are showing the first signs of agressive balding. Looking at your pictures you are destined to go fully bald. I had the same type of hair you do at about 23 receding thinning fine blonde hair.

Your only hope is propecia. Get some anti fungals as well. If insomnia is the only side you are getting from finasteride then I would deal with that as a seperate issue. Get up early work hard or train hard and take valerian tincture in water before bed. have a chamomile tea too.

Best of luck
I wouldnt be so 100% as a matter of fact like that, it really depends on his family history.

For example my father was receded a lot at age 21-23, and now at age like 47 there hasnt been much change, except very slow thinning over the 20 plus years.

Look at people like jude law, daniel craig etc, there is no guarantee they will go 100% bold.
So looking at his other older family members will give him a good idea, he said they had a lot of hairloss, I'm not sure if he means 100% bold?

Anyway good advice on what to take.

Peace.

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score

no, but considering his family history, and his current hairloss its highly likely. but yeah propecia should stop it man.

Goodfellas

Reaction score

patrik said:
no, but considering his family history, and his current hairloss its highly likely. but yeah propecia should stop it man.

Right now I'm using 0.5mg of Propecia, however is that strong enough? 1mg gave me too much insomina;P

I'm also consideringa adding Nizoral to my regime. However, how would it be to comine Nizoral with Nisim?

adolobe

Established Member
Reaction score

Goodfellas said:
patrik said:

Right now I'm using 0.5mg of Propecia, however is that strong enough? 1mg gave me too much insomina;P

I'm also consideringa adding Nizoral to my regime. However, how would it be to comine Nizoral with Nisim?

Based of the clinical trials .2mg of finasteride is 80% as effective as 1mg. So .5mg is more than enough or most individuals. The reasoning for Mercks producing the 1mg i that it was the highest dosage with the lowest reported sides. This with the fact some individuals are not good responders at .2 mg.

You should be fine with .5mg

You would use the nizoral 2 or 3 times a week in place of any other shampoo and leave it on for 2-5 mins before washing it out.

But dont expect amazing regrowth with finasteride as its main purpose is to keep the hair you have. It will regrowth some hair over time but alot of ppl spout bullshit about regrowth from finasteride or dutasteride saying they has amazing regrowth with it but yet they were also taking minoxidil.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i've been on propecia 1mg/day and minoxidil foam (hairline only) for 3 years, i am 28.

i would strongly recommend you go back to 1mg/day on propecia. there really is not going to be any difference in side effects. this is the first i've heard of insomnia as a propecia side effect.

while i don't doubt you might be experiencing insomnia, i can't help but feel it might be related to anxiety over losing hair and starting medications. try to get more exercise, go to bed on a regular schedule, etc, and see if that helps.

either way, i'd choose insomnia over going bald ANY DAY.

i think you've started on meds early enough that if you can stick with the propecia you should be in good shape - it really is the only thing that truly works for male pattern baldness.

Goodfellas

Reaction score
treeshrew said:
i've been on propecia 1mg/day and minoxidil foam (hairline only) for 3 years, i am 28.

i would strongly recommend you go back to 1mg/day on propecia. there really is not going to be any difference in side effects. this is the first i've heard of insomnia as a propecia side effect.

while i don't doubt you might be experiencing insomnia, i can't help but feel it might be related to anxiety over losing hair and starting medications. try to get more exercise, go to bed on a regular schedule, etc, and see if that helps.

either way, i'd choose insomnia over going bald ANY DAY.

i think you've started on meds early enough that if you can stick with the propecia you should be in good shape - it really is the only thing that truly works for male pattern baldness.

I disagree completely here.

If you ask me insomina would be way more worse than going bald. Insomnia can cause heart problems, weight problems, anxiety problems and depression. Going bald would mean that you would have to work some extra shifts in order to get the money to a hair transplantation (which isn't so bad).

I did have some insomnia issues before starting with propecia, but I was able to handle it by using melatonin. With the propecia however the insomnia is too strong. Yesterday I worked 9 1/2 hours, but I was still only able to get 4 1/2 hours of sleep. I'm not able to function properly by only sleeping 4-5 hours every night.

What if I only used 0.5mg of Propecia every other night? 0.5mg also gave me insomnia. I would then use propecia every other day, 5% minoxidil once a day and nizoral 3-5 days a week.

A hair transplantation looks pretty tempting to me, and I've already began saving up my money;P

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, how long did u try propecia before stopping? It is a strong drug so it will bring changes to your body, key is to ride it out for 3-4 months. Sides disappear or become manageable for many people. This is my first time hearing about Insomnia problem with propecia.. and I've done lots of researches.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
If you have had problems with insomnia in the past, I would be very inclined to think that the Propecia is not causing it. That, and insomnia isn't even a side effect of the drug.

Goodfellas

Reaction score
Would 0.5mg every other day be enough to at least maintain my current hair?

Anyway, here's a picture of what I look like now (2/3/2010):

Lasteopp.jpg

Does it seem to get worse or better compared to the previous photo?

Nene

Reaction score
Goodfellas said:
patrik said:
u think a hair transplant is as easy as a, b, c?

Absolutely not, but I would rather have a hair transplantation than using propecia for 10-15 years with insomina.

I had a friend compare his poor eye sight to going bald. I said he could get laser surgery, and he said I can get a transplant. A lot of people really think that a hair transplant is some kind of cure for hair loss don't they? I wish it was that simple. Dudemon where are you to explain it to these people? Goodfella, insomnia is not a side effect of propecia. If you've had insomnia in the past, I'm pretty sure the propecia isn't causing it. Anything is possible and I'm not doctor but it just doesn't make sense. Also, if you get a hair transplant, will you likely need to take propecia for the rest of your life! It isn't one or the other buddy! If you can't or wont' take propecia, you can pretty much forget about having hair.

sergiotahini

Established Member
Reaction score
If you suffer from insomnia while on propecia, have you considered taking the drug first thing in the morning to perhaps lessen its effect upon your sleep? My apologies if you have already addressed taking the drug at a different time of day.

In any case, I think you should definitely give finasteride another go if insomnia was your only side. There are many things you can try to make sleep easier: meditation, like you said; having sex right before going to bed; vigorous exercise during the day; perhaps a drink; and then there's always ambien, or a combination of all of the above :woot: . Good luck.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Nene said:
If you can't or wont' take propecia, you can pretty much forget about having hair.

I second this. No other drug is going to give you lasting benefits, especially if you see a hair transplant in your future.

Goodfellas

Reaction score
Right now I'm using 0.33mg a day, which seems to work fine, not much insomnia anymore:)

I've also began to notice that I've gotten some regrowth of hair. Could that be possible so early? It's located above my normal hairline;P