Grape seed extract - Good or Bad for hair?

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
Usually it is considered a good supplement for hair, and that group of scienctists from japan, who made all the research on applepole also mention GSE in their results as being almost as good as applepoly. They also claim that both AP and GSE are better than minoxidil, which is suspicious... I also know that some topicals for hairloss already contain GSE.
Anyway, lately some people here wrote that GSE is aromatase inhibitor, so to apply it topically on your hair could be bad (I think CCS wrote that but I'm not sure).

So...anyone knows what to do with this contradicting information?

Beethoven

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer, but I still don't understand: aromatase inhibitor could lead to less estrogen and as a result maybe more testosterone, which maybe will be converted into DHT (or according to some theories T can by itself "attack" the follicles). According to this explanation aromatase inhibitor is bad for hair, or is this explanation wrong?

Pondle

Reaction score
Beethoven said:
Usually it is considered a good supplement for hair, and that group of scienctists from japan, who made all the research on applepole also mention GSE in their results as being almost as good as applepoly. They also claim that both AP and GSE are better than minoxidil, which is suspicious... I also know that some topicals for hairloss already contain GSE.
Anyway, lately some people here wrote that GSE is aromatase inhibitor, so to apply it topically on your hair could be bad (I think CCS wrote that but I'm not sure).

So...anyone knows what to do with this contradicting information?

GSE is a good antioxidant and may have a range of health benefits - I take it, but there doesn't seem to be that much data. I'm not sure how effective a normal supplement dose is as an aromatase inhibitor (there was a study on PubMed, easy to find) but I live in hope... I just want something that might prevent/counteract pseudogyno.

Somebody filed a patent for an aromatase-inhibiting hair loss product, but this application this refers to an absence of studies on 5AR inhibitors in humans, so it is clearly old. What's more, many people, including Bryan, argue that estrogen is 'good' for hair.