Greckia's Story: Age 23 Diffuse Norwood 3 Thinner?

greckia

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'd like to post to everyone my journey to regaining my lost hair! I've read numerous success stories on this site and when I noticed my hair loss about 6 months ago, this was the first forum site that really got me motivated to fight my hair loss. Now, I've always had a very large forehead and I didn't ever notice my hair loss probably for a few years. When my temples started to recede was when I realized that something was up and I was moving past a "mature hairline".

Right now my only regimen is generic finasteride 1mg. I started August 30th on 1mg finasteride. I bought a 90 day prescription which cost me wayyyy too much money ($140 for 90 days). Now that I have heavily researched these forums and about proscar, I'm going to ask my dermatologist to write me a script for 1 year of 5mg proscar so I can save money after my script runs out.

Here are some of my hair loss photos. Would you say I'm a diffuse NW3? My hair loss seems to have advanced within the last year so that's why I became so worried about losing before I hit even my mid to late 20s.

Here is some photos after being on finasteride for nearly a month. These photos are all taken under heavy lighting (3 incandescent light bulbs shining directing onto my scalp). I had just got a haircut this week as well (2 on the sides and finger length on top) to really determine how advanced I am.
2013-09-25 15.22.25.jpg2013-09-25 15.22.48.jpg2013-09-25 15.23.36.jpg

As long as I'm not under direct sunlight or any other type of harsh lighting my hair loss on top doesn't seem noticeable and is probably why it took me so long to figure out that I was also diffuse thinning besides the temporal recession. Here is a picture without harsh lighting on the top of my head (mind you my hair is about 3 1/2 weeks longer in this photo). I also took a picture of my hairline today.
2013-10-19 09.24.25top.jpg2013-10-20 14.29.40hairline.jpg

Now, if you guys don't mind me asking, should I add minoxidil and nizoral to my regimen ASAP or wait longer to see what finasteride will do for my hair? I'm happy to report no sexual side effects since I started taking finasteride at the end of August. I also think I'm steady at baseline right now but I've hardly been on the drug long enough to note any improvement or negative effects. I have not missed a dose and typically take it in the morning before heading to work.

I already have a 6th month supply of kirkland liquid minoxidil that came in the mail last week and my nizoral shampoo came in literally yesterday. I also bought a 1.5mm dermaroller and was wondering whether I should attempt the micro-needling study that was posted on this forum. I have a feeling that I might just try minoxidil and nizoral first without the micro-needling procedure and see my results after 6 months or so.

Just wanted to say again that this forum is an inspiration for many out there that want to regain or keep their hair. Without me lurking on these forums and reading the enormous amount of success stories, I might have never taken the plunge to do something about my hair.

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
You look like diffuse NW2 to me.. and the other pictures (where it's longer) are looking quite good...
Good luck!! Please keep us informed ^_^

greckia

Reaction score
You look like diffuse NW2 to me.. and the other pictures (where it's longer) are looking quite good...
Good luck!! Please keep us informed ^_^

Thanks for the good wishes! I just used nizoral for the first time today. I'll keep everyone posted if I see improvement!