Green Tea and Saw Palmetto as alternative supplements...

sammo

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I must admit.... I don't know much about green tea and hairloss, the drink, is there theory or evidence to suggest it helps? if so how much?

secondly, saw palmetto, is it risky to take at 21? as well as taking propecia 0.5mg, i know someone with it in their regime and there regime is working (altho it could be from other stuff too)

Help plz guys.

muhu

Established Member
Reaction score
*bump*

I am also looking into this. finasteride is too expensive and its effects are very real

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
I love to play Devils advocate on finasteride sides. Since I myself experienced them.

But unless you try finasteride you cannot know for certain.

Saw Palmetto cannot do what finasteride can, it doesn't even come close. Or near. It's debated whether it does anything at all, the studies have been inconclusive.

However when I used Saw Palmetto I seemed to have beneficial effects. My hair looked healthier, although I did not get any noticeable regrowth. I was also on finasteride, and rogaine at the time. I never had any sides from the Saw Palmetto when I took it by itself. I'm not sure anyone get's sides from it. I would try mixing it and see if you notice any difference. I doubt you have anything to worry about concerning sides though.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been taking SP the last 7-8 months and believe it has helped in terms of maintenance of what I've got and I've had no side effects whatsoever, I only wish I had started taking it earlier...unfortunately the only problem with recommending it is a dosage that works (but isn't this also the case with Propecia? 0.25mg, 1mg etc) as there are so many different supplements you can buy that contain it

I take 2 x Solgar SP Berry extract every day
http://www.health4youonline.com/health_ ... -e4143.htm

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
muhu said:
what's the verdict on green tea?

There is no clear verdict. I think it's safe to say that green tea won't increase hair loss, but whether it reduces it is uncertain.

The relationship between green tea and DHT, for example, is not as straightforward as one might expect. See this post:

Green tea catechin reverses the effect of DHT in prostate cancer cells

And then there's some evidence that green tea extract might increase hair growth when applied topically:

Green tea extract grows hair in vitro, might work in vivo

G

Yep, some sources say it reduces DHT, some say it increases DHT. I am not sure but I drink 2 cups a day because it has other health benefits.