green tea block dht? new treatments?

striker9

Established Member
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness_treatments

Green Tea has been shown to reduce DHT levels by up to 50% as either a capsules or a beverage.
_____

SOD's likely work by destroying superoxide, the antagonist to Nitric oxide (NO), the natural form of minoxidil. Superoxide has an "agonist-antagonist" relationship with Nitric oxide or "Endothelium-derived Relaxing Factor".[11]

Does tricomin destroys the minoxidil effect?

__

ANd what is Black Cohosh ??

And gamma-Linolenic acid

Should those work?

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder how green tea reduces DHT, is it some ingredient in green tea or something else about green tea acting on DHT?

A 50% reduction in DHT seems nothing to sneeze at to me, quite impressive, yes?

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen studies saying green tea raises dht by 197% and reducing it by 50% :jackit:

rcom440

Reaction score
Nuli said:
I've seen studies saying green tea raises dht by 197% and reducing it by 50% :jackit:

it raises dht by 197% ? Where did you read that??? LOL
I drink a lot of green tea, what the hell, a 197%????????????

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11773671

1: Hong Kong Med J. 2001 Dec;7(4):369-74.
The medicinal action of androgens and green tea epigallocatechin gallate.Liao S.
Tang Center for Herbal Medicine Research, Ben May Institute for Cancer Research, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA.

Unorthodox (non-traditional or alternative) medicinal practices have been expanding very rapidly in western countries. Modern physicians, scientists, and non-traditional medicine practitioners now must join forces to promote evidence-based medicine to benefit patients. Green tea extracts are among the most widely used ancient medicinal agents, while androgens are probably the oldest drugs used in a purified form in traditional Chinese medicine. It is now clear that a specific green tea catechin, (-)epigallocatechin-3-gallate, can modulate the production and biological actions of androgens and other hormones. Modulation of androgenic activity and administration of (-)epigallocatechin-3-gallate may be useful for the treatment of various hormone-related abnormalities, such as benign prostatic hyperplasia, baldness, and acne, as well as androgen-dependent and -independent prostate cancers. (-)Epigallocatechin-3-gallate has also been shown to modulate appetite and control obesity in animals.

PMID: 11773671 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
striker9 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness_treatments

Green Tea has been shown to reduce DHT levels by up to 50% as either a capsules or a beverage.

BULLSHIT. I don't believe that claim. And notice that they have no reference or citation for it!

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
"Mice treated with black tea tended to have a greater serum testosterone concentration (34.4%, P = 0.50) and had a 72% lower DHT concentration than controls (P < 0.05), suggesting that black tea may contain components that inhibit the activity of 5{alpha}-reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone to the more bioactive DHT. Green tea tended to increase serum testosterone and DHT levels by 73.8% (P = 0.14) and 194% (P = 0.076), respectively. The combination of SPC and green tea reduced serum levels of DHT (P < 0.05)."

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/133/2/516#SEC2

I still take green tea extract because of the many many other health benefits.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
Well not green tea alone, but this one is from black tea http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/133/2/516, yes, someone already posted this one, and it seems to me to have some credibility..i mean when you ear storys about the corruption in the pharmaceutical industry that often is reflected in adultarated reported studies, one is left with almost nothing, but personal believes to stand for ..so believe in what you want people, i know of nobody, chemical or pro-natural that have cured completly theire male pattern baldness..so..i drink a lot of green and now mostly black tea, and been doing it for quite sometime, and feel great..i can't say i have grown hair, but am in my road to the forty's and still have a fair amount of hair, wich is something that my closest relatives have long said goodbye!..of course i've also aplly specific male pattern baldness treatments.

G

I've always been confused with tea and hair loss. Some studies say it increases DHT, some say it decreases it. Some people say white tea is better for the hair than green, some say black tea is better, it's all one giant headache.

Whatever tea you drink, I've always belived that milk will lessen its affect, which is why I rarely have milk in my tea. My uncle has male pattern baldness and drinks a lot of black tea, however he always has milk in his. If tea does help, perhaps milk destroys the goodness.

Just search about milk in google and you will hear how bad "modern" milk is suppose to be. It's all to do with what the cows are feed on, so they say. Here is a link:

http://www.formerfatguy.com/articles/do ... k-milk.asp

Fam_1st

Reaction score
I honestly think that plenty of people do'nt want to share what they've learned and see other people succeed and improve their hair because if they did then stuff like this would'nt still be on this board!

striker9

Established Member
Reaction score
so what's the conclusion?

I mean does really green tea and black tea raises or drops testosterone or dht levels?

G

striker9 said:
so what's the conclusion?

I mean does really green tea and black tea raises or drops testosterone or dht levels?

As I said above, no one knows for sure. Studies conflict with each other.

docj077

Reaction score
Be careful with these studies. A lot of the time they are on murine populations and they basically make these animals drink the substance 24/7 (instead of water) over an extended time period. It's highly unlikely that any human being could ever match that kind of intake in terms of mg/kg of the drug being investigated.

toivonen

Established Member
Reaction score
Well some studies do show the amount of tea used..but also like said before, it always be a mix of truthfull/untruthfull studies, mixed interpretations of the same case, personal preferences towards this or that ingredient (natural or synthetized)...but one big decision point, will always be..YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, or that of someone you trust..like i said, i take it for other reasons either than hairloss, but of course, always hopping that will also reflects it's positive effects on that little BIG problem! :)

striker9

Established Member
Reaction score
it's strange how there isn't a really good study for this!

So i really don't know what's better to do.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
goten574 said:
I've always been confused with tea and hair loss. Some studies say it increases DHT, some say it decreases it. Some people say white tea is better for the hair than green, some say black tea is better, it's all one giant headache.

Whatever tea you drink, I've always belived that milk will lessen its affect, which is why I rarely have milk in my tea. My uncle has male pattern baldness and drinks a lot of black tea, however he always has milk in his. If tea does help, perhaps milk destroys the goodness.

Just search about milk in google and you will hear how bad "modern" milk is suppose to be. It's all to do with what the cows are feed on, so they say. Here is a link:

The amount of milk you'd use for a cup of tea is likely not enough to cause hair loss problems, no matter how "modern" the milk is.

The relationship between milk and tea is unclear but interesting. First, one possible mechanism of how green/black tea works is by increasing plasma antioxidant activity. Second, there are in vitro studies showing that adding milk to a cup of tea will destroy the catechins, and one study showed that milk decreases tea's effect on insulin sensitivity. On the other hand, tea with milk will apparently increase plasma antioxidant activity, though there is a slight negative effect over time.

I'm not sure what to make of all this at the moment, but if you want to play it safe, I'd say refrain from using milk.

And yes, for some things green tea is better, and for others black tea is better. The difference between the two is that green tea has more catechins, while black tea has more theaflavins. Both of them have their uses, but based on the studies I've seen, green tea has more science behind it (though that could be because it's been studied more than black tea).

Considering that Asians have less hair loss than westerners and they can drink more than 10 cups of green tea per day, I'd say drinking green tea is pretty safe from a hair growth point of view. I'm not convinced that it will prevent hair loss, though. I would rather try the topical route. Here are the studies showing how Topical green tea seems to hair in vitro and in vivo.

G

JLL said:
goten574 said:

The amount of milk you'd use for a cup of tea is likely not enough to cause hair loss problems, no matter how "modern" the milk is.

The relationship between milk and tea is unclear but interesting. First, one possible mechanism of how green/black tea works is by increasing plasma antioxidant activity. Second, there are in vitro studies showing that adding milk to a cup of tea will destroy the catechins, and one study showed that milk decreases tea's effect on insulin sensitivity. On the other hand, tea with milk will apparently increase plasma antioxidant activity, though there is a slight negative effect over time.

I'm not sure what to make of all this at the moment, but if you want to play it safe, I'd say refrain from using milk.

And yes, for some things green tea is better, and for others black tea is better. The difference between the two is that green tea has more catechins, while black tea has more theaflavins. Both of them have their uses, but based on the studies I've seen, green tea has more science behind it (though that could be because it's been studied more than black tea).

Considering that Asians have less hair loss than westerners and they can drink more than 10 cups of green tea per day, I'd say drinking green tea is pretty safe from a hair growth point of view. I'm not convinced that it will prevent hair loss, though. I would rather try the topical route. Here are the studies showing how Topical green tea seems to hair in vitro and in vivo.

Yes, that's why I refrain myself from using milk, just incase. The green tea I drink is from Twinings and it's 70% green tea and 30% black.