Green Tea, still a friend of DHT?

So

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently there was a post regarding Green Tea and the likelihood that it elevates DHT levels.

Has there been any further research from anyone on the board confirming such claims?

It seems like Green Tea is a popular component of some peoples regimen both in tea and capsule forms. Thus I am surprised that such a topic has not warranted more discussion because if it were true to any degree small or large then we'd have a real issue on our hands.

I sure as hell don't want to give up drinking my two green teas per day, it's something I enjoy.

Goingat20

Reaction score
i hope it doesnt elevate DHT, i been taking that to help with hairloss

So

Established Member
Reaction score
If it does as suggested by the previously proposed study then many of us are in some serious sh*t.

In essence, Green Tea whether its in extract or tea form could have been elevating your level of DHT all along whilst you vigorously tried to decrease it. Counter-effective!

This is a proposition that needs to be looked into with great concern because if it's harmful to that effect we should cease to use it.

I just love Green Tea though....

Sean68

Reaction score
yeah annoying. it makes me wonder why did people start taking it in the first place? ive drank it for a while for its antioxidants and i can feel its doing me good but there must be another study or some evidence somewhere that says its good for hair.

grabber

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is what i found.

high intake of Green tea has been associated with higher levels of sex hormone binding globulin (SBHG) and lowered levels of serum estradiol (estrogen) concentration in women (Nagata 1998). Increased SBHG may be of help in reducing the effects of androgenetic alopecia. SBHG is a molecule that binds with high affinity to testosterone. Testosterone bound to SBHG is not bioactive and cannot bind to androgen receptors or be converted into dihydrotestosterone. An increase in SBHG concentration effectively reduces free testosterone. Green tea may also have an affect on the type I 5 alpha reductase enzyme that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone. These two distinct, but complementary, effects of green tea may influence androgenetic alopecia.

I drink green tea like never before and doing well with my hair loss....

grabber

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is an other one .

Green Tea and Hair Loss:

Using green tea to grow hair probably relates to the evidence for influencing circulating hormones in the body. A high intake of green tea correlates to higher levels of sex hormone-binding protein - or globulin, which carries hormones like testosterone around the body in a bound, unusable form so that tissues cannot use it directly. Testosterone is usually carried around the body by this binding protein, therefore, reducing levels of free testosterone, so that it cannot be converted to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the hair follicle, which is thought to shorten the hair cycle and cause hair loss in men. Green tea is thought to effect the 5a-reductase type I enzyme, which converts testosterone to DHT. There are two forms of 5a-reductase, and type I is the enzyme in higher amounts around the body, but it is the type II enzyme, which is thought to be responsible for most of the DHT formed in the hair follicle. Finasteride/Propecia effects or inhibits the type II form found in hair follicle.

In any case, the 5a-reductase enzymes can be confusing when you try to figure out what type I does and what type II does and what the difference is for hair growth. From a hair growth perspective, both can be important, it is just that Merck makes a big hype about the fact that their product, finasteride/Propecia inhibits type II and this is supposed to be the main enzyme form found in hair follicle, however, research work done in my lab a few years ago, revealed both forms in hair follicle, and also sebaceous glands. If anything, the type I enzyme is found mostly in sebaceous gland, which is just next door to the hair follicle and can also effect the level of male hormones around the hair follicle.

Again, no clinical studies have been done to show efficacy of green tea for hair loss, so it is up to the user to be aware of the cost, side effects, the fact that no proper dose level is known to effect hair growth, etc.

H/B

Established Member
Reaction score
i doubt it has significant impact on human vivo dht either way. it may help in other ways. polyphenals may help with inflammation and oxidative stress. it may help reduce spikes in blood sugar and icrease sensitivity to insulin.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Testosterone bound to SBHG is not bioactive and cannot bind to androgen receptors or be converted into dihydrotestosterone. An increase in SBHG concentration effectively reduces free testosterone.

Could this possible mean a decrease in the sexual side effects of propecia? From my pure scientific knowledge i have understood that free testosterone is converted to estrogen, which causing some feminizing side effects. So the 10% testosterone spike cause by finasteride could be bound by green tea. I may have it completely wrong though. I would like some posters with more info to give us their lights.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
I noticed that they drink tons of green tea and eat soy in China, but they have plenty of male pattern baldness sufferers, also. I understand that they have a lot less prostate cancer, however. Please correct me, if I am wrong about the prostate cancer- as far as male pattern baldness, though, there are tons of balding Chinese guys.

Sean68

Reaction score
i think ill stick with it. it does feel like its had a positive effect on my health in clearing some of the considerable toxins in my body.

Whyatt

Established Member
Reaction score
...green tea extract or no green tea extract, that is the question.
The more I read about male pattern baldness the more I understand the complexity of it.

How about Japan, do they consume a lot of soy and green tea? Someone mentioned that they were (historical) very isolated from the rest of the world and also without (significant) balding...ah..

I think this recent debate about green tea should alert all of us. There are often studies that sounds very good, until else is claimed, not proven. We tend to dream away trusting what sounds logic..but this subject is much more advanced and really kills that tactic.

:hairy: