Greetings on such a sad matter it seems

YouthDecaying

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So like many here I have joined due to anxiety around signs of hair loss. I am in my mid 20's and have only really just gotten over acne, now I have this pulling me back down to physical insecurities.

So what's happening:

Well, I am clearing showing signs of hair loss around the back of my head - you know the place I'm sure. and from that patch... well its a bit bigger than a patch.. there seems to be hair thinning around it and to the front of the base of my head. It's not so bad there yet, but if I move my hair it is noticeable. I also have spots between the scalp and itch frequently. I am showing signs of shredding, My bed pillows often have hairs around them and everytime I have a shower I have to clean the tiles and tub. right now when I go out I often where a hat - which I know isn't good for circulation and such but the shame is so intense that I cant go outside without it. I would often use gel wax in my hair is that not recommended?

Why it bothers me:
I don't want to appear whiny but I can't help but deny it does. I presume like many, you just never pictured this for yourself. I am not one of them laddish lads that can just 'man up' about this. I'm slim/medium built and I usually have medium/long hair. I know when I have had very short hair cuts I just look odd, so to know having my hair gone is going to be problematic for me. I feel shame so intensely and easily and this is a matter which really bothers me. I have never even been to bothered by my looks prior to this, I'm not the most handsome chap in town, but I was always content with them. However with this happening, I am very troubled by it. I just feel I am too young for this to happen. I suppose also part of it is fear that I will not have much sex appeal, I find it unappealing myself (no offense...) so it brings hue insecurities to me. I was hoping that once I get a decent job (Which seems unrealistic in how impossible it is right now) I'd then be worthy to date again... but with this happening, I sort of feel set back again.

Causes:

I don't know the full causes to why I am experience hair loss, however I am willing to be bold in stating possible reasons.

- Depression: I have had depression for over 5 years, I'm unemployed, living off benefits, have a uni degree which is useless and I have just lost a lot of passion for life.
- Excessive Masturbation: Giggle if you must, but I feel it is a card I need to lay on the table and a habbit I am hoping to get over.
- Genetics: I know my grandad on my mums side of the family showed signs of hair loss early and my dad did in his 40's. I don't know if this could be a contributing factor or not.

So, I think that sort of covers what is happening... I mean I don't know what to do about it. I can't seem to accept it but its a problem like many others which I seem to have no control over. I dont want to fall into a trap where I am buying all these hairloss products which demand you to kept using to be affective. So... I don't know what I want from this, I'm just out of ideas and I feel that the anxiety of this is becoming very debilitating.

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you have male pattern baldness (which there is a 99% chance you have), you should start with finasteride ASAP. It can (high chance) maintain your hair and you then also add minoxidil to your regimen. This is one of the best treatments out there for hair loss and it can only maintain and maybe regrow some hair. Just hope that finasteride and minoxidil don't give sides and that it works. Forget about low laser threatments or minerals etc. Hmmm I explained this rather strange...so if you have more questions just ask.

YouthDecaying

Reaction score
Thanks for responding :) I have no idea what finasteride and minoxidil are. Is that something I would have to use and maintain for ever? I mean I use shampoo with Argan oil, which i heard was meant to be of some help.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
Is that something I would have to use and maintain for ever?

Yes.

I mean I use shampoo with Argan oil, which i heard was meant to be of some help.

Don't sweat it, shampoos and other "natural remedies" do nothing for hair loss. Nizoral is the only shampoo that has some proven effect against male pattern baldness, but it's not enough alone to fight male pattern baldness. It is best used in combination with Finasteride and Minoxidil, as most guys here will refer to as "the big 3".

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Take finasteride daily. You may or may not want to take minoxidil. If you are in early stages it is probably not worth the effort & money to add minoxidil on top of the finasteride. Shampoo and oil won't do anything or almost nothing

MoHairMoBetta

Established Member
Reaction score
I feel you. I'm also currently unemployed with a university degree and depression. The only thing you can do is try to change your life day by day. Hair loss is scary. You can let yourself go bald, or risk taking drugs for the indefinite future to keep your hair. Either way feels like a loss. I started the "Big 3" (Finasteride, Minoxidil, Nizoral) about 7 weeks ago. I haven't had any concerning side effects yet but it's also too early to tell if it's working. The biggest thing that starting treatment has done for me is alleviate some of the stress because I know I'm at least doing everything I can. If I still go bald, at least I tried.

base10

Reaction score
Finasteride my friend. It sucks that you have male pattern baldness. But if you caught it at an early stage, be grateful as you have a good chance to maintain.