Gridlock's Story - (33yrs old - Thinning on right side Head)

Gridlock

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site and would really appreciate any advice that you may have. I'm 33y.o and in the last few years have noticed a thinning on the right side of my head, from the frontal area right along to the crown!! I've been lucky to have a fairly decent head of hair ( sorry i've not added pics)but of recent i'm starting to see more and more of my scalp and its alarming to say the least! My left side is still pretty thick but things are starting to look onesided!!My rate of shedding is pretty slow and its easier to conceal when its longer but it feels draughty of late and i'm worried it will progress!

I've been living a pretty stressful life for the last 3 years now and just wonder how much of an impact it can have?? I've listened to conflicting opinions about this and dont really know what to believe? Can follicles recover from stressful periods or should i start on meds to help the situation? Again,any advice would be great, thanks.

easynow

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi mate,

When I was around 18 I thought the unusually large amount of hair falling out into my books was due to stress from my A-level exams and that it would recover, when they didn't I realised that this was early baldness - doh! :D
So in answer to your question they can recover, but since you are 33 I'd probably say that it is most likely baldness beginning to set in.

If it's not that severe and since it sounds like it started recently I would get on the famous big 3 of finasteride (propecia), Nizoral shampoo and Minoxidil (Rogaine) . There is also a post in the success stories about treatments, which I found useful: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=12638
I'm sure that some more people on here will also be able to advise you further.

Wish you all the best fella

RaginDemon

Reaction score
stress wont cause male pattern baldness, however it might trigger or speed up your male pattern baldness.

Gridlock

Reaction score
Thanks alot guys! Appreciate the advice! Will check out the treament section and get started!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
GL man!

pinkfloyd7

Established Member
Reaction score
ragindemon you said stress might increase or TRIGGER male pattern baldness. just curious, what did you mean by trigger????

RaginDemon

Reaction score
pinkfloyd7 said:
ragindemon you said stress might increase or TRIGGER male pattern baldness. just curious, what did you mean by trigger????

I know my hair loss started right after one of my business trip to China, where I had to work almost 16 hrs a day under extreme pressure (to meet deadlines). During the time period I broke up with my gf who I went out for 3 yrs. I started to notice my hair would fall off in a scary rate and that was the starting point of my male pattern baldness.

pinkfloyd7

Established Member
Reaction score
so your saying if none of that stress ever happened and you didn't break up with your girlfriend you wouldn't have started losing your hair ????

does everyone have a trigger point for their hair loss ?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
pinkfloyd7 said:
so your saying if none of that stress ever happened and you didn't break up with your girlfriend you wouldn't have started losing your hair ????

does everyone have a trigger point for their hair loss ?

I wouldn't say that...but I was thinking that if non of those events took place, my hair loss would probabily progress in a more non-aggresive pattern.

Its just scary how much hair I lost within such a short period of time.

pinkfloyd7

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Gridlock's story

well yea your right. Whenever I go through an extremely stressful week like a finals week in school I feel like my hair loss gets more agressive. I can see a few extra hairs come out once in a while in the bathroom. Also drinking and smoking seems to strongly increase it. Whenever I go to the bar I feel my hair much thinner and weaker in the morning.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

pinkfloyd7 said:
well yea your right. Whenever I go through an extremely stressful week like a finals week in school I feel like my hair loss gets more agressive. I can see a few extra hairs come out once in a while in the bathroom. Also drinking and smoking seems to strongly increase it. Whenever I go to the bar I feel my hair much thinner and weaker in the morning.

I agree with you completely. Heavy drinking, smoking and stress definitely speed up my hair loss. When I have no stress, go on a good diet, exercise reguarly, my hair loss tends to stablize.

pinkfloyd7

Established Member
Reaction score

one more thing. Do adding hair products like spray or gel increase your hair loss? I usually put it on everyday cause my hair kinda looks really dry and flat if i don't. So usually I have it on 20 to 12 hours a day. Could this be causing my hair loss to go faster ????

RaginDemon

Reaction score

pinkfloyd7 said:
one more thing. Do adding hair products like spray or gel increase your hair loss? I usually put it on everyday cause my hair kinda looks really dry and flat if i don't. So usually I have it on 20 to 12 hours a day. Could this be causing my hair loss to go faster ????

I personally don't think they make a difference.

I had nice thick hair for 25 yrs, and I had been using krazy hair styling products for 10 yrs prior to my hair loss.