Grumps's Story - (receding for 6 years now)

grumps

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, i've been receding for almost 6 years now and thought i'd share some pics with you all (i often read the boards, being the same as every paranoid hair-loss gentlman).

The situation with my hair is slightly odd though in comparison to other peoples, and this is mainly because i have receding in a totally strange way. Usually, i expect receding to mean you also start to lose hair around the crown areas (especially after almost 6 friggin' years), but so far nothing else has changed.

I'm not naive either, i know i will eventually lose my hair but i just wondered if anybody else has hair like mine? Take a gander:

receding1.jpg

receding2.jpg

receding3.jpg

...looks bad i know, but it seems to look better with my hair shorter:

me.jpg

oh, and one from the top:

top.jpg

Anyway, im considering looking into getting hair transplants but im really confused as to how good + cost effective they are? anybody else here have expierence?

Also - forget about head shaving, i'd look like that guy from lord of the rings.

grumps

Reaction score
Re: Can't think of an original title, so - my hairloss(receding)

As a side note, i just noticed i've blanked my face out on the pictures - but then posted a photograph of my face anyway.

Sigh.

sandovalusa

Established Member
Reaction score

Haha yea I noticed that you took out your face and then posted your face. Nice.

Are your temples actively receding or is that just your mature hairline? It doesn't look bad at all to me. I would say it just looks like your mature hairline. Then again, I'm pretty new around here.

Cassidy

Reaction score

Sure you aren't over-reacting just a tiny bit, mate?

Yeah it's maybe receding slightly but I wouldn't start saving for a hair transplant any time soon ffs.

I recommend putting rogaine on your temples if you can be bothered.

DarkSockedFox

Reaction score

Similar to me, I think. Goes at the temples and stuff, but honestly yours doesn't look bad at all. Best of luck with whatever route you take!

grumps

Reaction score
Re: Grumps's Story - (receding)

PropeciaJunkie said:
Welcome to HairLossTalk.com, I gave your story a title. :)

Hey dude, thanks! haha.

Yeah to be honest i started on Regaine Extra Strength a few months ago, and i just apply it to the temple areas once a day before i hit the sack. I'm the kind of guy who DEFINATELY would not look good bald (i have a large baby head and forehead - add a small face and basically im 'Brain' from 'Pinky and the Brain')

Good to meet you all :)

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
you're hair looks good but it does look like you're receding a little its very similar to my hair a few years ago.

but why are you considering transplants???

The best thing you can do is try to save the hair you have. I would get on finasteride as soon as possible and you may never need a transplant.

transplants never look as good as the real thing.

grumps

Reaction score
Yeah i was wondering actually, i mean they graft donor hair from your sides and transplant it to your 'loss areas'..... but aren't the characteristics of 'side hair' different from the type you grow on top of your head?

Sounds like a stupid question i know!

KapHow

Reaction score
grumps said:
aren't the characteristics of 'side hair' different from the type you grow on top of your head?

I was actually wondering the same thing. I went to a consultation for a hair transplant and when I asked questions like this the counselor just kinda gave me a puzzled look and made it sound like I was just being naive. Same when I asked about what happens if I don't like the way it turns out, all she said was "Why wouldn't you like how it turns out!?" :dunno: Apparently to her, they have a 100% satisfaction rate?

sandovalusa

Established Member
Reaction score
grumps said:
Yeah i was wondering actually, i mean they graft donor hair from your sides and transplant it to your 'loss areas'..... but aren't the characteristics of 'side hair' different from the type you grow on top of your head?

Some people even use body hair to thicken up areas. I saw before and after pictures of a guy who used leg hair to make his hairline fuller. He had been getting hair transplants every few years for a while and he had a very thick head of hair. He wore it long and combed back. Sorry I can't recall the specific thread or website.

KapHow

Reaction score
sandovalusa said:
grumps said:

Some people even use body hair to thicken up areas. I saw before and after pictures of a guy who used leg hair to make his hairline fuller. He had been getting hair transplants every few years for a while and he had a very thick head of hair. He wore it long and combed back. Sorry I can't recall the specific thread or website.

This was done using leg hair...
[youtube:1otty8v0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNEZb42ZrYs[/youtube:1otty8v0]

grumps

Reaction score
I cant belive they did that with body hair!

I don't think its something i'd tell people though... i mean, it's one thing getting it from your head - but your legs or your arse hair?? Not something you want to tell a lady after she has run her fingers through it!

grumps

Reaction score
Also here are some additional pics of my hairline:

receding4.jpg

receding5.jpg

I know you guys have said hair transplant is a big thing to consider, but to be honest i'd rather do that then sit and pray that my hair will stay on my head (i'm already tired of putting minoxidil in my hair.... it's not going to improve my receding, just keeping it at bay)

Boy i hope they do payement plans...

sandovalusa

Established Member
Reaction score
grumps said:
I know you guys have said hair transplant is a big thing to consider, but to be honest i'd rather do that then sit and pray that my hair will stay on my head (i'm already tired of putting minoxidil in my hair.... it's not going to improve my receding, just keeping it at bay)

If you got a hair transplant would you end your current Rogaine regimen?

I don't think it's as easy as just getting a hair transplant and not worrying about it ever again. I think you would probably wanna keep up with your other regimen even after the hair transplant.