GTE... Oral as good as topical??

dr_jekyll

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently start taking a 315mg tablet of Green Tea Extract and also a 50mg tablet of Grape Seed Extract.

I see people using topical GTE shampoos and I was wondering whether the oral version has any benefits for hair aswell?

Thanks

CCS

Reaction score
the oral is not as good as the topical. it is not absorbed well in the intestine, and gets diluted by the whole body before reaching your hair.

dr_jekyll

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to improve intestinal absorption?

Is see you have made a GTE shampoo put do you have any proof that any is actually absorbed into your scalp?

RAKBS

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read that black pepper enhances green tea absorption, but I don't remember what site I read that on, so research it before you try it.

And don't expect green tea to do anything for you orally, unless you're taking the equivalent of about 10-12 cups. Or more.

Edit: The black pepper study was on whfoods.com:

Pepper increases EGCG availability

An animal study suggests that consuming the spice, black pepper, when drinking green tea can significantly increase the amount of epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) absorbed. In this study, rats and mice given green tea along with piperine (a bioactive component in black pepper) absorbed 130% more EGCG than control animals receiving EGCG alone.

In this study, piperine was found to inhibit the glucuronidation of EGCG in the intestines. Glucuronidation is a chemical pathway that serves as one of the major ways our bodies convert drugs, steroids, and many other substances into metabolites that can then be excreted into the urine or bile. By inhibiting EGCG's glucuronidation, piperine allowed more of this catechin to be absorbed and utilized. So, next time you have a cup of green tea along with a meal, be sure to spice up your soup, salad and/or entrée with a little freshly ground black pepper.