GTheMan0's Story (Age 20/Unknown diffuse hair loss)

GtheMan0

Reaction score
Hi, I'd just like to first say that I tried to register here before but it didn't work but I'm glad I came back and tried again :) . So I decide to share my story...

Anyways, my hair loss has been going on for over a year now. I'd say I've started to notice it during my first year of college when I was 18, but it really got me worried around October '07. My hair is shedding and thinning in a diffused pattern all over my scalp; the sides, the front, the back, the sideburns, and even a bit of the eyebrows. When I wash my hair, hair comes on my hand and I can rub my hair and hairs would fall out easily. My hair has not receded at all, not a single bit--still have a relatively small forehead. Do not see other hair loss anywhere else on my body.

I'm currently 20 years old and my sister and mom have a full head of hair, and my dad balded only a bit around the top of his head in his late 40s. My mom and dad told me that they never knew anyone who experienced this in the family.

In terms of doctors, I've had many tests done by them and one was more concerned about my jaundice than my hair loss. He referred me to a gastroenterologist. After my liver was fine, I was referred to an endrocrinologist and he couldn't figure it out so he has referred me to another endocrinologist and the appointment... in April :(

My guess from the start was telogen effluvium because I did lose quite a lot of weight during my first college year due to skipping many meals and not getting proper sleep from pulling all nighters. But for past half year I've been eating healthy and getting good sleep and it doesn't seem like it has improved. I still continue to easily shed hairs when I pick them off my head. I recently shaved my head and grew it out again, but still the same thing.

Another symptom I see, which may sound weird, is when I grow facial hair, there are some hairs that are copper/shiny coloured. As far as I know a loss of pigment would make it white or grey so I'm wondering could this be a sign of anything?

If anyone knows anyone who had something like me or could give me any advice, I'd appreciate it. I was thinking if it does not fix by the end of the holidays I'm starting on Rogaine, something I really don't want to do as I've heard many bad things about it. Sorry for the wall of text.

Here are the pictures:

[attachment=0:2jae6u6f]02072008096eo4.jpg[/attachment:2jae6u6f]
[attachment=1:2jae6u6f]02072008095hm7.jpg[/attachment:2jae6u6f]
[attachment=2:2jae6u6f]02072008094qx7.jpg[/attachment:2jae6u6f]
[attachment=3:2jae6u6f]02072008093dg9.jpg[/attachment:2jae6u6f]
Thanks. I really appreciate it. :)

Attachments

• 02072008093dg9.jpg
    02072008093dg9.jpg
    726.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 02072008094qx7.jpg
    02072008094qx7.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 187
  • 02072008095hm7.jpg
    02072008095hm7.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 02072008096eo4.jpg
    02072008096eo4.jpg
    881.6 KB · Views: 194

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: GTheMan0's story (Age 20/Unkown diffuse hair loss)

Hey young'un, first off go to a dermatologist to determine if you actually have male pattern baldness from an expert. Then the best course of action would be to get on the big three which is propecia, minoxidil and nizoral. I would recommend using proscar(cheaper) cut into quarter tabs for the first 6 months to a year to see if it provides decent results before jumping on the minoxidil. However use nizoral about 3 times a week. Don't let thinning hair hold you back like it did me cause you only live once. Get to class, get good grades, get good money, then get those girls!!!! Good luck brother let us know how you do ok.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Doesnt look like male pattern baldness.. looks like it could be something stress related or shock related hairloss. But a good derm would give u the right answhere

GtheMan0

Reaction score

The derm said it was telogen effluvium. But from what I've seen it shouldn't last this long...

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score

It is probably Telogen Effluvium, do you see any miniturized hairs? If not you have nothing to worry about, just relax and the hair will grow back, luck bastard :punk:

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score

Looks like my hair actually. It could be chronic Telogen Effluvium, which takes a lot longer to pass. Look it up!

BTW, have you considered a buzzcut?

GtheMan0

Reaction score

eXVee said:
Looks like my hair actually. It could be chronic Telogen Effluvium, which takes a lot longer to pass. Look it up!

BTW, have you considered a buzzcut?

Yeah I just did. Not as good as I hoped though... kinda looks like a diffuse patchy thing. I'm thinking of getting Rogaine. Thoughts?

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: GTheMan0's Story (Age 20/Unkown diffuse hair loss)

minoxidil is supposed to be used as a spot treatment, however as a diffuse thinner you'll have to apply it all over your scalp, which raises some issues:

- Expensive
- Scalp irritation because you're using more
- Doesn't work for everybody
- Using a lot, means that you'll be absorbing more in the bloodstream too. This can cause health problems.

As a diffuse thinner I've tried minoxidil 5% liquid and it sucked.

dasani

Reaction score
hey bro
i have almost the same hair condition as you and am also looking for a cure..
i also have copper colour bear hair sometimes around my chin. what can we do?

GtheMan0

Reaction score
dasani said:
hey bro
i have almost the same hair condition as you and am also looking for a cure..
i also have copper colour bear hair sometimes around my chin. what can we do?

Well, luckily I have an appointment next month with an endocrinologist who specializes in hair loss. But as it still stands, my hair is still the same. And as far as I know many people have copper coloured facial hair so I don't think hair loss has anything to do with it.

I have not used Rogaine yet because I really fear the side effects.

Anyhow, so far I've been living with this condition for 16 months. Just wishing it would go back to normal... have been missing out on the best years of my life.