Guess I'm getting my shed...

Deaner

Reaction score
3.5 months in, and my loss is craaaazy these days. I thought I'd slipped by and managed to somehow evade a nasty finasteride shed, but it looks like I wasn't so lucky. I've been watching my loss for the past week to see if it remains, and I'm losing hair by the bucketload. About 50-100 hairs before I get into the shower if I just play around with my head, massage my scalp, comb, that sorta thing. Then I get into the shower, the horror continues, a good 50-100 on my hands, falling down the drain, etc, etc. Get outta the shower, towel dry hair, comb, lose another 25 or so, and then finally my hair's dry, comb, lose another 25. I'm going nuts! :p

The weird thing is, all these hairs are between 1 and 2" pretty much, whereas my hair length is generally 3-4" right now. I just can't understand it. Hopefully this shed ends soon, or I'm gonna totally lose my sanity ... :p

Edit: The hairs that I'm losing are also thinner than the healthy long hairs I sometimes shed amongst them all.

Reaction score
That sux bro hang in there because that happened to me at month 3 but it only lasted a week shedding about 50-100 hairs a day.Now at month 5 no shed but normaly only about 10 hairs i notice every other day and thier usually very thin or kinky its wierd.Youve heard everyone say you will go through a shed so try not to think about it.

G

Hi,

I noticed a kind of shed on finasteride a few weeks ago. I have a bath each day and I wash my hair in the bath. When the water was let out there was probably 50 odd hairs in the bottom of the bath. Now I don't get this so I guess this was a little shed that I had. Certainly have not noticed as much hair in the bath. Maybe 10 - 15 hairs, probably less than that tbh.

Let's wait and see what happens.

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
Deaner said:
The weird thing is, all these hairs are between 1 and 2" pretty much, whereas my hair length is generally 3-4" right now. I just can't understand it. Hopefully this shed ends soon, or I'm gonna totally lose my sanity ... :p

Edit: The hairs that I'm losing are also thinner than the healthy long hairs I sometimes shed amongst them all.

This doesn't seem weird. If its true that the noticible sheds caused by finasteride mostly affect hair follicles already affected by dht, and minitaurized to some extent by it, it would follow that a lot of the hairs shed would be shorter and thinner. Then they come back stronger, though you get periodic sheds after this because finasteride seems to synchronize the growth cycles to some degree. I'm just getting this from reading a lot of posts.

MH

Reaction score
That mirrors what has been happening to me. When I wake up in the morning I have about 30 hairs on the pillow. Most of them are 1 inch or less and quite thin. My normal hair is about 3-4 inches and thick. I have been on a regime for about 2.5 months so possibly this is my shed. I am hoping it is not the EPO oil I rub in nightly weakening the hairs, but it didn't happen when I first started it.

BTW, just bought some grape seed extract today in pill form, probably gonna crush and dissolve in my American Crew spray. Will let you know of progress.

KK

Reaction score
Hang in there bro it happened to me as well. I am on my 4th months treatment. My shed recently has stopped. Good sign is that I have seen some regrowth around my temple. My shed last about 2 weeks.

Cheers

junior_senior

Reaction score
Deaner,
This might be hard to answer; I'm curious, do you think the amount of shedding you've experienced is only noticed by you, or is it very apparent that in the last week the amount of hair on your head has decreased greatly?

I'm thinking about getting on finasteride, and one of the big questions I have is the amount of hair that will shed. I'm worried about shedding enough to actually make me look bald....

Deaner

Reaction score
Not cosmetically noticable at this point I don't believe, but at this rate, who knows!

Deaner

Reaction score
Yea, maybe somebody switched the damn shampoos on me? That wouldn't be good!

G

What I don´t get from all you optimists is this - if a normal growth cycle for a follicle is 5 - 7 years, why on earth would finasteride shorten that cycle to say 6 months?

Could someone try and answer this?