Guy with a baldspot's Story -(Nearly 40/ thinning for 15 yr)

Guy with a baldspot

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm nearly 40yo and have been balding/thinning on the crown for around 15 years. During that timespan I've used topical minoxidil 2% and 5% more often than not, but not religiously.

I had a bit of a revelation on Friday night eating dinner at a Mexican restaurant with my family. My wife told me that she spotted me at the gym - from across the gym - by my bald spot. I was shocked that my spot had become so large that it was visible from across the gym!

We came home that night and I had my wife take some pictures, below. Yes, the baldness has become pronounced.

backtoplo.jpg

Pardon my hair.. after a sweaty workout and I need a haircut.

toplo.jpg

rsidelo.jpg

My dad and mother's grandfather are/were both bald, so this destiny isn't a surprise. I never thought I'd be bothered much by it but I'm pretty young (well, I feel it anyways) and active and I'm just not ready to be balding this much.

I came here looking for advice on hair transplant surgery a couple days ago. I would still like to proceed in that direction, but I am going to set aside a year to become educated on hair loss and explore my options.

I felt like doing something quickly, so I've purchased Nizoral shampoo, Rogaine foam, S5 cream, and Revivogen.

I first need to figure out a regimen with those products, then start exploring my surgery options. I would rather spend a big chunk of change up front for surgery and more or less forget about it than spend hundreds of dollars per year forever.

I'm glad I found this forum - it looks pretty active!

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
you could also add Propecia. Apart from that it sounds like you've got a potentially good regimen

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Over the 15 years was your balding slow? Has your vertex always looked like that? How come you have not tried Propecia sooner? I would definitely start on it if you really want to try to save whatever hair you have left but Propecia has been know to not work as well on people close or over 40 years old. At least you don't have grey hairs yet. :)

Guy with a baldspot

Reaction score
Yes my balding has been pretty slow. I took 0.5-1mg propecia for a couple years (about 10 years ago) and have used 5% minoxidil on and off for 15 years.

I do have some gray hairs coming in on my temples.. :thumbdown2:

hhj1247

Established Member
Reaction score
You have thin hairs that might be able to be woken up with treament. Your crown might respond well to the big three, I would give it a shot if I were you. Here's a thread of someone who responded well with a bald crow at 31 yrs old:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47369

Usually users with the best results here are 20-28, but I think that's partly because 40 yr olds don't post on message boards and/or don't seek treatment. Good luck man, doesn't look so bad for being 40 FWIW.