GuyWhoSadFromHairLos' story -(age 17)

Reaction score
Hi, im currently 17 years old and i suffer from some hair loss. I was born with what i can quite safely assume after thourough research, is known as Cradle Cap. I had a thick crusty layer of dead, yellowish skin on my scalp. However doctors at the time where unable to diagnose what the skin abnormallity was. Now Cradle Cap is supposedly a short term, temporary skin disorder that is supposed to clear up 8-12 months after birth on its own, however mine stayed with me all my life until i was 13 and decided i needed to get rid of it. I started applying baby oil and washing my hair with special shampoo recommended by the doctor and it would soften the dead skin cells and then my Nan would comb through my hair removing as much of it as we could. Only doing this removed some of my hair with it... permanently. now i have thinner hair at the back of the top of my head which is only noticeable when the hair is lifted/parted and one completely bald spot under my fringe where the dead skin was extremely hard to remove. I am completely self concious of this hairloss and my last girlfriend broke up with me because of it. After a lot of research i couldnt find any similar cases and I was wondering if there was anyone out there who had a similar story. I have not been to the doctor before exclusively about my bald areas and if there was any way on regrowing the hair, however last time i visited them they were unable to confirm what the skin condition was. If anyone has had a similar experience please reply, i feel like im the only one whos gone through this and i dont know what to do.

phasetwo

Reaction score
Re: GuyWhoSadFromHairLos' story.

Man I feel for you ... :(

I started losing my hair when I was 13....diffused hair thinning...i'm 25 now and it's in terrible shape...very thin hair all over my head...20% of what i used to have.

The thing is....no doctor could tell me what the hell is wrong with my scalp...and I also have yellowish skin on top sometimes, especially after sun exposure...it emits a lot of yellowish fluid to the surface of the scalp ( don't know if it's the same thing ). and I lost almost all of my confidence with the ladies.

Hang in there buddy, help is coming....keep researching the web for info...it's a huge place with new personal stories and research popping up everyday...you still have a chance for happiness....we all do.

Reaction score
Re: GuyWhoSadFromHairLos' story.

Thanks for the reply man, it means a lot to me. Its terrible what has happened to us both especially as people judge us on it, and it's not as if we choose to lose our hair.

Your scalp condition sounds similar to what mine was, although i dont think i did/do get particular reaction to sun exposure, although i have found that the top of my head is sometimes sore for no particular reason.

But i can relate to the whole shaken confidence thing. I usually never let people touch my hair because im afraid they will uncover the thinned areas and then judge or mock me. Plus i dont want to let any of the girls that i date to see it for fear that they will react badly, especially since image seems to be one of the most important things nowadays.

I just hope that they can find a way to replace the hair that we have lost that won't cost a fortune and won't leave us with further scarring.