H3lium's story - (age 27 years old)

H3lium

Reaction score
Hi guys, let me introduce myself I'm currently 27 years old.

As most of the people going through this board I was only lurking as of now.

Having run through almost every and any thread on this board (and HLH too) I would like to share my story with you guys, and maybe help others who are in the same / similar situation as me.

First of all I'd like to point out that I'm french and if you guys detect some language anomalies you'll know why ;-)

I started losing my hair by the age of 20 or 21 I think, where I developped some hair thinning on the crown which my mother indicated to me (at that time I wasn't really paying attention to my hair and it wasn't my concern, especially not checking my crown in a mirror)

So I went to a dermatologist by the age of 23 who prescribed me minoxidil 2% and finasteride 1mg / day by cutting proscar into 5 segments.

At that time I had absolutely no idea what these drugs meant and I didn't care much so I popped 1/5th of a pill every day. Since being lazy I didn't even open the minoxidil bottle. So my only treatment was finasteride ~1mg / day for about 3 our 4 years.

I guess this treatment worked very well since i kept my hair, and my barber told me he noticed I've had more hair on my crown.

However about 10 months ago, I started dating girls again and I noticed that I sometimes wasn't as hard as before and needed more effort to keep it "erect" which made me freak out.
So I tried to find answers as to why I was experiencing this.

So I came upon the fincar leaflet and I saw the possible side effects...Decided to stop finasteride and head to the minoxidil path.

2 months later I've had another relationship where I had sexual intercourse but wasn't able to "finish" since I couldn't stay "hard enough"...

Having stopped finasteride and still experiencing these awful effects I tried searching on the internet about informations regarding finasteride or sexual side effects.

Thats how I came upon this board.

Well, now, around march of this year (so about 6 months after quitting finasteride) I noticed my hair was thinning a LOT (I have no temple recession, or hairline recession, I'm just thinning on the top of my scalp and crown). So I guess the consequences of leaving propecia were starting to show.

I'm not sure if it's really the finasteride which gave me those sexual side effects or something else.
Anyways after reading some shocking stories regarding finasteride it's really hard to get it out of my mind, and having the thoughts of having intercourse again just pops the thought of being unable to perform, and all those horrible stories I read about the drug.

It's like I'm in a dilemma between choosing my hair or my dick.

I don't know what to do and I've lost a lot of hair since dropping finasteride. I can now cleary see through my scalp under a lightbulb or in direct sunlight..especially with wet hair !!

What is strange though is I don't really see my hairs falling when I take a shower or apply minoxidil I only have like 10 hairs in my hands. I'm not sure if I am destined to be totally bald or if it's just the fact that I stopped finasteride.

I'm now torn between retrying finasteride at maybe 0.5mg a day, or staying only with minoxidil 5% and nizoral but I know it's not really effective.

I will post pictures of my current hair "status" later and post updates if I ever retry finasteride.

Anyway the advice I can give is the following : as many know propecia works very well especially when taken at early stages of male pattern baldness (like me). However it takes long to show its benefits on hair and you will drastically loose all of them and maybe more if you discard its use.
As I said 6 months after stopping finasteride I got hit in the face by my hair condition.

Sorry for the LONG post, would appreciate any advice as to what to do, I'm freaking at the thought of being bald, it's really depressing me.

Cheers.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
there are plenty of other treatments you could try,spironolactone for example.

just search these boards for alternatives,you'll find something to suit your needs :)

GeminiX

Reaction score
Speaking from purely my own experience, I believe that in the vast majority of cases the ability to maintain an erection is far more to do with psychology than medication.

I (unfortunately) have no difficulty in maintaining an errection, which is quite ironic really :)

Before doing anything hasty like messing around with your medication, try to consider what other factors and frames of mind you were in at the time. Most people at 27 have all kinds of random things running through their minds and the instant you think you can't maintain causes so much stress that it's game over anyway.

Next chance you get, maybe try something a bit "spicy" or at least something different.

As an aside, I do some volunteer counselling have some experience in this area so feel free to drop me a PM if you wish.

Hubert Gruber

Reaction score
Hans Gruber said:
there are plenty of other treatments you could try,spironolactone for example.

just search these boards for alternatives,you'll find something to suit your needs :)
So he has sides and he should start using spironolactone??

GeminiX said:
I (unfortunately) have no difficulty in maintaining an errection, which is quite ironic really :)

???

GeminiX

Reaction score
I'm not saying there are *no* side effects for *everyone*, but I do believe that many people have a tendancy to get a little hyesterical and blame everything from stubbing a toe to a rainy day on the side effects of finasteride/dutasteride/insert drug here. :)