HÃ¥rtap - me vs. the baldness (Blog)

haartap

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just started fighting hairloss, and I decided to open a tread here - both for keeping a track, getting motivation, getting answers to all my questions and sharing the results (either good or bad).

About me:
28 years old. Living in Norway (Europe).

About my hair:
I've always had a high hairline, but the hair was thick untill I turned 25. Then I started to see my temples getting bigger and bigger, and the frontpart thinner, but what I didn't know was the situation on the top and back... ( I guess it's a normal problem - we see ourselves in the mirror from the front, and don't see the bald spot on the back before it's too late?).

About my fight against the hairloss:
I talked to my doctor recently. He's in the mid-30's, and completely bald. After lots of "You don't need to do anything, girls love bald men", he finally agreed to give me perscription on finasteride.
Originally I wanted to get Propecia, but I found out that Norway is the most expencive country in the world for a reason : a 28-pills pack of Propecia costs around 125 USD! The solution is Finasteride.

My regimen:
* Finasteride Actavis (I guess that's what you people call 'generic'?) - 5 mg pills cut into 5 pieces : 1 mg a day
start date: 07. july 2014

- - - Updated - - -

Three questions to the senior members here:

1. I have a cat. Minoxidil is toxic to cats, so I'm not goint to gamle on that. Should I consider using something else instead, or just stick to the finasteride?

2. Nizoral is not being sold in Norway. The "replacement" I found is called "Fungoral", but it says 20mg/ml. Is it too strong to use twice a week?

3. On the Norwegian Finasteride pack they say that it's dangerous for pregnant women - I know they shoudn't breathe the dust from the pills, but it says that there could be finasteride in my semen, and that I shouldn't try to get a girl pregnant while on finasteride? Can it be true, or is it just the Norwegian government trying to be overprotective as always?

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_8122.jpg

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
"You don't need to do anything, girls love bald men",

I have a cat. Minoxidil is toxic to cats, so I'm not goint to gamle on that. Should I consider using something else instead, or just stick to the finasteride?

Bald doctors are the worst when it comes to hair loss advice. They will usually tell you to just live with it, blah blah blah. Happened to me too.

Minoxidil is poisonous to cats. Just don't let your cat lick your head. I have a cat and he is fine.

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Lol, I would trade my girlfriends' two cats easy for more hair. Don't need to worry about that one though.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
you don't need a substitute for minoxidil just go without it

haartap

Reaction score
Hi guys!
3 weeks on Finasteride now, no side effects (yet?). But I have a question to you all:

- The pills I'm taking are 5 mg and round shape. If not impossible, it's veeeery frustrating to cut them into 5 pieces. So I decided to cut them into 4 (1,25 mg finasteride). Is it dangerous, or is it alright? Should I skip each 5th day?

Thank you in advance!

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Most people cut it into fourths and take one daily. You can skip one day, if you want, but it's not necessary.

haartap

Reaction score
Just a post to keep a diary for myself:
Two months on finasteride x 1,25 mg/day. No sides. No noticeable shedding either, hmm...