Had to to be a nice guy...

Reaction score
I have a friend I've known for a afew years - he knows I'm losing my hair and he knows I'm insecure about it. He's not one of those relentless baldy-rippers, but he has been known to comment on and mock my declining mane. One time he referred to me as "bald" infront of a girl he knows I find attractive, with a malicious, gleeful look in his eyes, but the way my hair was styled you couldn't even tell I was losing, so she just seemed puzzled more than anything...Still, little f***er.

Well, recently I noticed his temples seem to be receding, and I mentioned it to him and could tell by his reaction he was insecure about it. Rather than getting him back, and going "welcome to the club" or something, I reassured him and went "Don't worry, loads of caucasian males lose hair at the temples in their 20s - it's normal", like a poster on this site would say. I wish I could be a vindictive a**-hole sometimes, but it just isn't in me. To compound matters he's going grey aswell (at the age of 23)...I think I'll rip into him for this though if he mentions it again.

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Leave him alone and go set the anger at the gym, being mean to him wont get you your hair back....

Reaction score
I won't be mean for the sake of meanness, but if if he ever comments on my balding again...So help him God!

ali777

Reaction score
I know a 19yo guy who is fast balding, his dad and uncles are bald. Anyway, the last few times I bumped into him, he made comments about me looking older and balder. At this point I have to add that I'm 31, almost 32, and it's very normal that I look old or older to him. So, I just laugh off his comments as "normal".

TBH, I think it's his insecurity playing in his mind and him becoming a Norwood spotter early on. He's been talking about his hair and body hair, so I know he pays attention to those things.

The point is, I could hit back and tell him he'll be much balder than me but I couldn't do that. Instead, I give him a few tips on hair maintenance. I haven't told him about minoxidil and finasteride because I don't want him to grow up so quick that he starts using those meds.

Being nice to fellow human beings is the best thing to do, there is no need to come down to their level :whistle:

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score
That was cool of you, been the bigger man is a hard thing to do. Its funny cause i was recently in the exact same position, except i took the lower road. My mate was ripping on my hair when Dr.Phil came on the box, i simply replied with "look who's talking" as he has receding temples and a thinning crown. It instantly wipped the smile from his face, but I do regret it cause it wasn't the decent thing to do. He just made a sly comment and then laughed about it, so that kind of aggrivated me.

karl_h

Established Member
Reaction score
If your friend wants to talk about your hair loss when he knows that you do not appreciate it, let him. If you begin to talk about his hair loss, it is not going to help you to grow your hair back so I suggest that you don't really say anything.

Also, I think you might want to think about if this guy is really a friend of yours. If he says something to you when it is just you and him that is one thing, but when he says something to you when you are around a girl that you like, I think that is really mean.

Reaction score
Sensible advice guys. Some times I think how beneficial it could be to be completely insensitive and obnoxious, afterall people will only say these things to you if they think you're an easy target - if you're you the sort who flies off the handle and relentlessly tear their self esteem to shreds, they won't dare. It's not necessarily petty, it's just a form of self defence. Still, even if I wanted to, I wouldn't realistically behave like that.

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Colin297 said:
Ha. You should have let his hair get bad and then told him :D

Karma is a biatch.
I bet you have lots of friends....

anyways, look, its ok to get him if he start talking trash at you, but just commeting on someones hair-lose "out of the blue" just for revange isnt cool, and wont get you anything more then a minor short-lasting satisfaction at the possible cost of a friend, who you might need at the long run...

worldlyman

My Regimen
Reaction score
You know, I never even thought about hair loss until I turned 40, saw one too many anti-baldness infomercials. Though I don't have hairloss, at least at this point, it is something a guy thinks about as he gets older.

I worked with two bald guys in 2006 in a hospital transfer center and we NEVER talked about hair or anything follicular whatsoever. Just music and life's b****s in general while having a lot of laughs doing so.

So to be sure, there are people who find something to be mean about.

My conceited fat *** nephew who thinks he's all that who's always gone through life demeaning other people...always made fun of me because of my hair length and style. But I would look good wearing his hairstyle...while he certainly wouldn't look good wearing mine. I'm 41 and am very much height and weight proportionate...he's 27 and looks like a sumo wrestler with a West Point hair buzz. So that's off my chest.

barcafan

Reaction score
worldlyman said:
You know, I never even thought about hair loss until I turned 40, saw one too many anti-baldness infomercials. Though I don't have hairloss, at least at this point, it is something a guy thinks about as he gets older.

I worked with two bald guys in 2006 in a hospital transfer center and we NEVER talked about hair or anything follicular whatsoever. Just music and life's b****s in general while having a lot of laughs doing so.

So to be sure, there are people who find something to be mean about.

My conceited fat *** nephew who thinks he's all that who's always gone through life demeaning other people...always made fun of me because of my hair length and style. But I would look good wearing his hairstyle...while he certainly wouldn't look good wearing mine. I'm 41 and am very much height and weight proportionate...he's 27 and looks like a sumo wrestler with a West Point hair buzz. So that's off my chest.

he doesnt think he's all that mate, he probably hates himself.

Reaction score
Yeah, people seem to project their own insecurities out on to everybody else. If you really listen to what people say, they tell you alot about themselves.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
I dont see how someone that went out of their way to make you feel like sh*t deserves any second thought

I mean, hell if was my friend despite this and yeah he actually ASKED for my help (in a way that would be an apology) then yes, by all means.

But jsut being a pussy and helping someone that kicked you in the nuts, when they didnt even ask for it? You just being a chump really.

baldkarma79

Reaction score
Happy as Larry said:
One time he referred to me as "bald" infront of a girl he knows I find attractive, with a malicious, gleeful look in his eyes, but the way my hair was styled you couldn't even tell I was losing, so she just seemed puzzled more than anything...Still, little f***er.

Maybe your friend was trying to knock you down because he's interested in this girl? Guys can be pricks when competing for the same girl.

Don't worry. I used to be like your friend and now I'm the "bald" one. He'll get his. But I wouldn't let it slide anymore if I were you. If someone had put me in my place when I was younger I would've probably stopped commenting on other guys hairloss.