Hair characteristics

G

Hair characteristics

Hair characteristics play a vital role in the overall illusion and success of a hair transplant. Some patients have more favourable hair characteristics and therefore need less grafts to gain their personal goal. Someone with fine, straight, thin hair is going to require more grafts to achieve a similar result than for example someone with coarse, wavy, thick hair.

Remember Hair transplantation is the "art of illusion". With the appropriate placement and use of your hairs characteristic the illusion can be achieved very well - the more favourable your hair characteristic is ie; wavy, thick hair means the illusion can occur with fewer grafts if positioned correctly.

Our hairs characteristics all vary but be aware of your own when embarking into hair transplant's and how it can aid or not aid the illusion. In brief - Patients with very similar loss patterns may not have the same hair characteristic. Therefore they will require a different amount of grafts to achieve a similar result in terms of illusion, coverage, density.

Hair transplants are all about the art of illusion ;)Hair Characteristics being a big factor in the equation.

People should try to not specifically compare to different peoples results because there are many physiological differences between patients that range from:

- Hair characteristics
- Personal expectation/goal
- Amount of their pre-existing hair loss
- Whether they had surgery before
- Their scalp laxity
- Physical size of their skulls, ie how much area needs to be covered
- Density of their hair
- Average number of hairs per follicle
- Hair shaft thickness
- Hair colour
- Styling choices etc etc.........................................

This is why choosing a good Doctor is essential in order for him/her to use their experience and skill to enable the individual to achieve the best result possible for THEM off the back of all these variables. hair transplant is not an exact science and that is why choosing a Dr who has the ability to determine what is best for the patient long term is essential off the back of the different variables the patient themselves bring to the table so to speak.
All the best.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Thanks once again for the info spex :)

Ive always been curious about hair characteristics and hair transplant results. Ive looked at many before and after pictures and the guys that seem to have the worst results are the guys with thick dark hair and a pale white scalp. It still has a somewhat pluggy appearance, at least to me :dunno: They may get good coverage and look volumous when pushed forward but when the hair is brushed back it can look quite fake at times :dunno: Even though you say guys with finer hair require more grafts to give the illusion of coverage, it appears to me that they also have the most natural looking results (basically undetectable) especially when it comes to the hairline because the hair itself is not has harsh or thick. I have seen a few blondish type guys with great results like that guy Shane from Armani. His hair looks pretty amazing.

antonio666

Reaction score
well if i have ever have a transplant ,i should have an advantage as my hair is ulta thick and wavy almost curly

metalheaddude

Reaction score
antonio666 said:
well if i have ever have a transplant ,i should have an advantage as my hair is ulta thick and wavy almost curly

So do it?