Hair=Life 's Story

hair=life

Reaction score
Hi,
22. Working. Struggling.

The story goes very cliche mode.
Started noticing something 'wrong' with my hair after the First year of college - or we can say that's when i started paying heed to my hair. Used the word 'wrong' ,as have still not been able to figure out whether it's hair loss or just thinning or what. Haven't had a very 'blessed' density since birth which includes quite a large forehead but still things went downhill since my scalp started getting visible at some areas. Not amongst those to become extreme paranoid and all, but yeah it started pinching when some of my friends commented. And it has been growing ever since, posing problem for me to style my hair differently now.

Past Regimen
Sadly, have a balding pattern on both sides of the family, paternal and maternal. My sister had been facing thinning and on Doctor's recommendation she underwent some meds for roughly 2 years, without seeing any results so she very skeptic about all this, and as a result discouraging me to spend money on it. Talking about past regimen, my first consultation around 1 year ago gave the result as : unhealthy scalp, hair thinning, receding hairline. Yet i din't decide to start on medication, primarily money being the reason. Instead i resorted to some lotion treatments by some local 'hakeem' (suggested by my friend who had seen very good results), which sort of din't give no results, but i had to stop them as they were acidic+painful, and it all wasn't medically legal ,to term it. My scalp was quite red, and then finally after some 6 months or so, which i consider as a transition period, I have decided to go all up for the Big 3, after actively reading forums and seeing extreme good results on people like Zeroheat, Peapoddy etc. Moreover, i have received the assessment reports from online consultations from 2-3 docs as well(i was seeking knowledge on hair transplants), and have received a common reply stating that am young for it, and instead should consider medications(Big 3 were suggested by them).

So have pinged a few senior members on this forum , and they have been extremely helpful to advise as per their knowledge, but have been getting mixed reviews. So, would definitely feel obliged to get advice from all the people viewing this thread and kind enough to impart their knowledge on the same.

Current Regimen

* Finasteride 1mg (by Cipla) everyday since July First Week, before going to bed
* Nizral 2% shampoo(by J&J) 2-3x per week, since End Of June

Future Regimen

-->http://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Mino...1437218817&sr=8-1&keywords=minoxidil+kirkland

-->http://www.amazon.com/Rogaine-Men-H...sim_194_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0GGRGSA2K1X0RJ51N051

-->http://www.amazon.com/Natrol-Maximu...sim_194_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=06Y084HPVZWYBD77M10P

Gallery
Below are the pics taken some 6 months back roughly around when i had stopped the lotion treatment.

Attachments

• top+side_view.jpg
    top+side_view.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 222
  • top_view.jpg
    top_view.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Right_view.jpg
    Right_view.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 231
  • left_view.jpg
    left_view.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 225
  • hairpulledback.jpg
    hairpulledback.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 241
  • hairline2.jpg
    hairline2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 235
  • back_view.jpg
    back_view.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 242

hair=life

Reaction score
Gallery ( contd.)

Here are some of pics of my recent haircut (got them cut real short to assess my hair)

------------------------UPDATED---------------------------------

All these pics are before starting my finasteride+nizoral regime. It's just been roughly 2 weeks on meds, so will post my pics after the 1 month mark.

Attachments

• new_backview.jpg
    new_backview.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 228
  • new_leftview.jpg
    new_leftview.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 249
  • new_rightview.jpg
    new_rightview.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 235
  • new_topview.jpg
    new_topview.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 285

Blessed99

Reaction score
The hair does look a little thinner on the top since taking Finasteride. I think you should add in the Minoxidil and see if you get better results. People say that they must be used together in order for results. Good luck!!

hair=life

Reaction score
The hair does look a little thinner on the top since taking Finasteride. I think you should add in the Minoxidil and see if you get better results. People say that they must be used together in order for results. Good luck!!

@Blessed99 u r slightly mistaken here.....all these pics are before starting the treatment!!
The thinning i had mentioned to you was post-pics, it's been roughly 2 weeks on meds, and i think it's more of psychological that i feel thinning has increased!
Will post new pics after a 1 month mark....thanks for reverting :D

- - - Updated - - -

Your hair really doesn't look that bad. I would say just to keep on finasteride and see what happens

Yeah currently would have to wait for the minoxidil+biotin to arrive for maybe some 2 months(am getting it ordered from a friend coming from the US)....coz amazon doesnt ship all that here, and ordering it from here (the same branded stuff) would roughly cost me some 50-60$ more! so till then....finasteride+minoxidil it is B)

- - - Updated - - -

------------------------------------Gallery (contd.)------------------------------------------------------------

These are some of the older pics when i had resorted to the unconventional lotion treatment. Tough time that was!

Attachments

• old_lotion_treatment#3.jpg
    old_lotion_treatment#3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 202
  • old_lotion_treatment#1.jpg
    old_lotion_treatment#1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 238
  • old_lotion_treatment#2.jpg
    old_lotion_treatment#2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 202

hair=life

Reaction score
Okay, this is a bit confusing and blew me right off my feet as i din't know the extent of it! These are some of my pics i took today while having a shower as i was curious to assess the hair status in a wet condition.
And i can't understand.

wet_topview_hair_spiked_up#1.jpgwet_topview_hair_spiked_up#2.jpgwet_topview_hair_straight_down.jpgwet_frontview.jpgwet_leftview.jpgwet_rightview.jpg
People please review and share some knowledge onto my following qs:
1. Is it increased thinning?
It's been roughly 3 weeks now on generic finasteride+nizoral 2%, and also my short haircut, and i have been feeling an increased thinning whatsoever since, but have rejected the idea thinking it to be a psychological scare as it's too early for meds to show any effects!

2. Do generic versions work as gud as the 'branded' ones?
I have been using Finasteride 1mg by Cipla and Nizoral 2% by J&J. Have tried searching many threads and forums seeking an answer to generic vs branded and have got mixed reviews till now! Also i feel that there is a considerable shed everytym am washing my hair with nizoral which wasn't the case when i was previously using Dove shampoo, so would want to know is it normal?.....

3. Should i jump onto minoxidil asap?
Would be using minoxidil in roughly 2-3 months, as i want regrowth(definitely over the crown now!....and also at the hairline). Have seen minoxidil shed in so many cases now, so thinking that what if i land up among those who face shed from nizoral+finasteride too(going with my current pyschological fiasco) ? So wouldn't it be better to start off minoxidil right away and face a one time shed instead of 2 scenario sheds- one ryt now and the other when i start using minoxidil.......?

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry maybe I missed it in your intro, but have you actually got your scalp checked for those red bumps all over the top of your head? It looks like Seborrhoeic Dermatitis or some really nasty fungal infection.

1) Your on the right track, shedding may not even happen.
2) Yes
3) Get your scalp checked first, as minoxidil might irritate it more.