Hair loss and burning sensation?

little morris

Reaction score
Hi:

Forgive me, I'm not really sure where to put this, but:

I'm not writing this to ask whether I have hair loss since it's pretty evident to me that I do; at the moment, I'd say that I'm somewhere in between an NW2 and NW3. I'm 21 and I've noticed that I've been losing a lot of hair near the temples and the crown for the past three months or so. I was aware that I was losing hair near the front halfway through 2015, but the hair near the crown has only recently started to come out. Needless to say, this was extremely shocking to me and I've lost a lot of sleep over it. Since I started growing my hair out, it's been one of the only things that I've felt good about regarding my appearance and so the realization that it'll probably be beyond redemption pretty soon worries me a lot. I'll never be able to grow it again and—I'm embarrassed to say—I've almost cried to myself while looking at it in the mirror.

Not currently treating my hair loss, but I was just wondering: is my hair supposed to feel as tender as it does in the areas where it's thinning? Sometimes when I'm working I notice there's a distinct tenderness to my hair and occasionally burning sensation when I touch it. Nothing that I've looked up in the past two weeks or so has indicated to me that this is normal. This has been going on since I started losing hair and I have experienced this before, but to a far lesser degree. It's not incredibly painful—at best it's somewhat annoying and at worst it's a mild pain—but it's definitely enough for me to notice. I don't think I have a scalp infection, but I haven't looked up anything beyond that. I'm very green to looking up literature re: hair loss, so I have to ask: is it supposed to physically bother you? Because I feel like it shouldn't.

Thanks for reading.

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Most dermatologists will say that it's psychosomatic: stress, anxiety, what have you. If you truly don't have an allergy, eczema or dermatitis, you might have a variation of the "male pattern baldness itch".

Hair loss is an inflammatory process. When you lose hair, it can itch or burn and the surrounding area can feel mildly painful. Have a look on the forums, many people around here experience this sensation. Myself, I've had this sensation for about two years, then it mostly went away, only flaring up during periods of intense stress.

Just try not to use hydrocortisone or salicylic acid to lessen the itch, it seems they might be bad for your hair. Try massaging your scalp to soothe it a bit, running your head under cold water when you shower and make sure it is well hydrated as hair loss induces dandruff from the follicles shedding into skin cells.

Maybe other users can offer more advice, best of luck.

kuca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you truly have male pattern baldness and burning sensation I would get on finasteride, it has helped me to get rid of the burning sensation after year on it, but thats just my experience

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi:

Forgive me, I'm not really sure where to put this, but:

I'm not writing this to ask whether I have hair loss since it's pretty evident to me that I do; at the moment, I'd say that I'm somewhere in between an NW2 and NW3. I'm 21 and I've noticed that I've been losing a lot of hair near the temples and the crown for the past three months or so. I was aware that I was losing hair near the front halfway through 2015, but the hair near the crown has only recently started to come out. Needless to say, this was extremely shocking to me and I've lost a lot of sleep over it. Since I started growing my hair out, it's been one of the only things that I've felt good about regarding my appearance and so the realization that it'll probably be beyond redemption pretty soon worries me a lot. I'll never be able to grow it again and—I'm embarrassed to say—I've almost cried to myself while looking at it in the mirror.

Not currently treating my hair loss, but I was just wondering: is my hair supposed to feel as tender as it does in the areas where it's thinning? Sometimes when I'm working I notice there's a distinct tenderness to my hair and occasionally burning sensation when I touch it. Nothing that I've looked up in the past two weeks or so has indicated to me that this is normal. This has been going on since I started losing hair and I have experienced this before, but to a far lesser degree. It's not incredibly painful—at best it's somewhat annoying and at worst it's a mild pain—but it's definitely enough for me to notice. I don't think I have a scalp infection, but I haven't looked up anything beyond that. I'm very green to looking up literature re: hair loss, so I have to ask: is it supposed to physically bother you? Because I feel like it shouldn't.

Thanks for reading.
my hair loss is primarily at my temples and before i got on finasteride my temples itched and it was a different kind of itch, hard to explain . but not painful

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's male pattern baldness. I have constant burning, soreness and itching. finasteride/dutasteride are usually the best at alleviating it.

Memo22

Reaction score
the only thing i wish i had known before getting on finasteride is: dont start to use it and then stop.

look at all the posts decide carefully if you want to use it and then - if you decide to use it - stick with it!