hair loss at 18

Dorasz

Reaction score
I first started to notice my hair loss on my temples 6 months ago.I did not expect to lose any hair in my life,but especially so young because my father or his brothers never lost any hair,my grandfather on my mothers side never lost any,the worst case of male pattern baldness in my family was my grandfather on my fathers side-who still had a substantial head of hair when he died ,people tried to reassure me by attributing it to stress as i am doing an important exam-i have been feeling stressed, but it is hard to remain optimistic when it is still falling out at a frightening rate. Could this be stress related? I went to my doctor twice about this.The first day he told me that male pattern baldness is inherited so i am unlikely to lose my hair and it could be stress related and even if i do there are products on the market to help it. The second day he told me that it is not inherited and occurs in males randomly also basically said it was male pattern baldness,he said the products on the market are ineffective.He must have forgotten that he spoke to me about it before its the only way to explain such inconsistancy. Which version should believe?What should be my next step if this keeps gettting worse? Is there a way to know for sure if its male pattern baldness?

Reaction score
Dorasz said:
I first started to notice my hair loss on my temples 6 months ago.I did not expect to lose any hair in my life,but especially so young because my father or his brothers never lost any hair,my grandfather on my mothers side never lost any,the worst case of male pattern baldness in my family was my grandfather on my fathers side-who still had a substantial head of hair when he died ,people tried to reassure me by attributing it to stress as i am doing an important exam-i have been feeling stressed, but it is hard to remain optimistic when it is still falling out at a frightening rate. Could this be stress related? I went to my doctor twice about this.The first day he told me that male pattern baldness is inherited so i am unlikely to lose my hair and it could be stress related and even if i do there are products on the market to help it. The second day he told me that it is not inherited and occurs in males randomly also basically said it was male pattern baldness,he said the products on the market are ineffective.He must have forgotten that he spoke to me about it before its the only way to explain such inconsistancy. Which version should believe?What should be my next step if this keeps gettting worse? Is there a way to know for sure if its male pattern baldness?

Hang in there brotha, i know how you feel im 17 and my hair has been deeply affected already. If male pattern baldness doesnt exist in your family your good. Stress is powerful, and it can definatly cause your hair to fall out. Just keep positive and not worry about it. Afterall, there is no way in hell you'll ever go bald, so why stress? :p Hold your head up high man, you'll always have a full head of hair, your just paranoid about the situation. If you really feel convinced that your hair is receided or something, upload a pic.

Ive been lossing hair since 14 and my family has terrible hair, im screwed D:

Reaction score
finfighter said:
raptorizedamazing said:
Hang in there brotha, i know how you feel im 17 and my hair has been deeply affected already. If male pattern baldness doesnt exist in your family your good.

This is BS, the genes responsible for male pattern baldness can skip generations, so the fact that your immediate family doesn't display symptoms of male pattern baldness/Androgenetic Alopecia does not preclude that you do not carry one of the genes associated with male pattern baldness/Androgenetic Alopecia. I would suggest that you make an appointment with a dermatologist that performs minaturization studies and get professionally diagnosed, read through the link in my signature for information on treatments that work!

Dude, i said If male pattern baldness doesnt exist in his FAMILY, it doesnt Exist in HIS FAMILY> I didnt specify "immediate" or " past" i said family, which can mean even centuries ago as well..

Orly? please tell me what i should ask a dermatologist then. i would like some profession work done to see what stage of hairloss im at and what i can do too.

Dorasz

Reaction score
I thought I should update my story
I went to a trichologist who diagnosed me with three things.
1.Seborrheic dermatitis.she concentrated on treating this she sold me what seems to be her own home made shampoo and charged me €25 for a 250ml bottle.some 'exfoliating cream' another €25.
2.telogen effluvium.which she said explains most of the excessive hairloss.she said this will sort itself
3.(and worst of all)male pattern hairloss.which she said was not just a mature hairline and then revealed to me that my crown was thinning which was shocking.
She advised me to use 6% minoxidil which, conveniently enough she is the only one that supplies it at this concentration,i would otherwise be able get the 5% conc locally.
She charged me another 65 for the appointment and expects me back in a month.
Is it worth my time going back to her or using this 6% conc rather than the 5%?
I also had more bad news because i found out that my grandfather didnt start losing his hair until later life,he didnt lose all of it either,so there is no apparent male relative who i inherited this off and no way of know what may happen to my hair in the future.I was wondering if there is many men out there with male pattern baldness who have no apparent close male relative with male pattern baldness?
Is there a chance that this hairloss may halt here?at least for a few years while i go through university the trichologist said it would only get worse and getting male pattern baldness this early is a bad sign
Her revelations about my crown were particularly shocking, i see most men that are badly receeded ,alot worse than me, are not losing hair on their crown

thanks for reading all replies are appreciated

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a scam to me. Go to someone else. And even if your father and grandfathers have good hair it doesn't mean you will. I had one bald great-grandfather (Norwood 5) but no other great-grandfather, grandfather, or father went bald. My paternal grandfather had a "bald spot" in the back but great head of hair and hairline (Norwood 1) until mid-age. My other grandfather was outdone only by Reagan lol.

Dorasz

Reaction score
Quick update;
Hair continued to deteriorate up to October 2012. Then, my hairline was worse and the quality and thickness of my hair was poorer and i assume starting to become noticeable to the casual observer. Anyway, on the 29 of October i took the decision to start finesteride. Tbh i havnt looked back since. Hair shedding amazingly decreased almost immediatly. After a month i started to notice loads of tiny hairs along my hairline. These have proceeded to get stonger and longer. Overall, after 3 months the thickness has improved. This has taken a burden off my shoulders. The burden i am referring to, may be known to most of you, This is the burden of always checking the hair in the mirror to see if it looks repectable, being able to refrain from rubbing through my hair to check how many hairs fall out, comparing my hairline to others my age and wishing to have hair like those of whom i perceive to have better hair and most of all not coming onto this site! As regards side effects, i simple have had none (not even the apparent shed that ppl often get through trying finasteride). The comments and feedback on this site is overally negative and i wish to share my experience whiich have been very positive.

blondguy

Reaction score
Great to hear it! And its good you do share your story to give a more balanced perspective to the lucky ones like you who might miss out on the benefits of propecia. Sadly its because of people like me who get no benefit from propecia and come on this site looking for more advice! Its those that benefit that dont come back and update!

I am on dutasteride. now, so hopefully that will do me better!

I hope you did not give any more money to that lady who sounded like s scam artist?!