Hair loss frustrations

HomerJ

Reaction score
Hi all -

I guess I need to rant a litte. I am 3 years into hairloss now, and am a NW3. Like all, I hate hair loss but here is a list of some of things that really bug me most about my hair loss problem:

(1) My hair is so unhealthy now. It has become wirey in the last 3 years and just looks awful

(2) Hair loss on the sides. It is one thing for me to lose hair on the top of my scalp, but the sides and around the ears are as thin, or thinner, than the top (anyone else experience this)

(3) The speed of my hair loss. This is thing that bothers me the most. I understand people lose hair as they age, but I am losing hair at such an accelerated rate, it's crazy. My hair loss is now worse than several of my friends who started to lose hair years before I did

(4) Scalp - My scalp condition is awful - It itches, it hurts, and it just is not good.

There are others, but these, particularly #3, are my main frustrations.

viperfish

Reaction score
yeah my hair is thin and useless all over. Thin on the sides thin on the top blah blah blah. I look like sh*t! i feel your pain!

HomerJ

Reaction score
Well - my regimen at the moment is:

Propecia - back on for 6 weeks now
minoxidil 5% - Nightly - 10 days only

I have been on and off Propecia for the last 2.5 years. On all my previous attempts I felt it did zip for my hairline, or even made it worse. Plus, I was getting minor side effects, both sexual and bloating of the face. But when I stopped Propecia on my previous attempts, my hairline got worse and I then started to lose hair on top of my scalp, which I was not losing pre-propecia.

So, I have no got back on it and am not happy about it, but I feel I have no choice. Side effects have returned. My hairloss while on or off Propecia is more rapid than my hair loss before I ever tried Propecia..if I could go back in time, I would never try it, this risk has turned out bad for me and now I have no choice but to take it and see what happens.

At this point, in the last 6 weeks, I see no change, still rapid loss but I probably need more time to assess.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
HomerJ said:
I have been on and off Propecia for the last 2.5 years. On all my previous attempts I felt it did zip for my hairline, or even made it worse. Plus, I was getting minor side effects, both sexual and bloating of the face. But when I stopped Propecia on my previous attempts, my hairline got worse and I then started to lose hair on top of my scalp, which I was not losing pre-propecia.

That's your fundamental problem right there, your non-commital attitude towards propecia. What was the longest you've ever taken the drug for consecutively? What your doing right now, by going on and off of it, is really going to mess with your hormonal balance.

HomerJ

Reaction score
Kramer,

You may be right, I know 86% of the people would agree with you.

The last time, I was on for 9 straight months. If you actually go to the Propecia website it says you should maintain after 9 months. Well, I was not maintaining my hairline but the top was good. However,I never had a problem losing hair on the top of my head before taking Propecia, so I was not surprised that my hair was ok on top. Since I could not maintain the hairline anyway I figured why continue. However, in the last 6 months, my hairline continues to go to hell and I think I actually started to lose hair on top. Considering I never had a problem with the hair on top until now, I am certainly a little frustrated by it. So, I have no choice but to try again.

That said, if you index my rate of hair loss before ever trying Propecia at 100, then my rate of hair since I popped my first pill, be it on or off Propecia is > 100.