Hair loss hit me like a train out of nowhere.

Travalanche

Established Member
Reaction score
I have always had thick wavy hair until the age of 22, I am 23 now and my hairline is quickly receeding, I have a patch in the front like an island surrounded by water. The rest of my head is still thick with a bit of thinning in the back but nothing too serious, my hairline has receded about an inch over the span of one year. It's really very obvious that I'm balding if the patch of hair surrounded by scalp didn't make it more evident. I'm noticing a TON of hair in the shower and it sheds so badly I refuse to even shampoo it anymore out of fear of losing more hair. I constantly wear a hat in public and my parent's also know that I'm balding as my dad was the first person to notice it.

I've always been an outspoken and fun guy but this has totally killed me, I have always drank a few beers every couple days since turning 21 but now I'm drinking far more and am turning into an alcoholic. I have had buzz cuts in the past and look terrible without hair so I've had long hair in a ponytail for the last few years but that just makes it more evident. I'm very depressed, I've never been really depressed before but this has taken me to the edge, I needed to talk about this because it's killing me. I know it's just hair but I've always loved my hair and styling it, this is making that impossible. I would honestly rather lose my private parts than my hair and I'm not kidding, I rarely have sex anyways and more people notice your hair, it's not just about what others think either. I honestly worry more about what I think than what others think and can't stand the thought of going bald.

I have considered trying to get Propecia as it sounds perfect for me but I have no doctor, how could I get a prescription in it by the way? I've never had a prescription in my life that I can remember so this would be new to me.

I'm sorry if I sound pathetic but it's because I am.

EDIT: by a ton of hair I mean about 80-100 strands if not more.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi! sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time now. If it is any consolation to you, we are all in the same boat here dealing with hair loss and all :D

Do you have a family history of hair loss? You can walk in any doctor's office to get a prescription (if not, make an appointment by phone. you just give them your name, phone number and so on. don't need to tell them why you want to see a doctor at all). Go and tell a doctor about your hair loss and how it makes you feel about yourself. Some doctors are more than willing to prescribe propecia for you but some aren't. So if your first docotor refuses to do so, then find another one.

Also have you thought about using minoxidil and nizoral shampoo? with propecia, they are called The Big Three. if you use a search function here (type in 'The Big Three'), you will be able to find more info about them.

Good luck mate!

Travalanche

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to try and schedule an appointment and see if I can do something to help this, I was already looking into Rogaine and I hadn't heard of Nizoral, thanks for the info.

MPBfighter

Reaction score
I have always had thick wavy hair until the age of 22, I am 23 now and my hairline is quickly receeding, I have a patch in the front like an island surrounded by water. The rest of my head is still thick with a bit of thinning in the back but nothing too serious, my hairline has receded about an inch over the span of one year. It's really very obvious that I'm balding if the patch of hair surrounded by scalp didn't make it more evident. I'm noticing a TON of hair in the shower and it sheds so badly I refuse to even shampoo it anymore out of fear of losing more hair. I constantly wear a hat in public and my parent's also know that I'm balding as my dad was the first person to notice it.

I've always been an outspoken and fun guy but this has totally killed me, I have always drank a few beers every couple days since turning 21 but now I'm drinking far more and am turning into an alcoholic. I have had buzz cuts in the past and look terrible without hair so I've had long hair in a ponytail for the last few years but that just makes it more evident. I'm very depressed, I've never been really depressed before but this has taken me to the edge, I needed to talk about this because it's killing me. I know it's just hair but I've always loved my hair and styling it, this is making that impossible. I would honestly rather lose my private parts than my hair and I'm not kidding, I rarely have sex anyways and more people notice your hair, it's not just about what others think either. I honestly worry more about what I think than what others think and can't stand the thought of going bald.

I have considered trying to get Propecia as it sounds perfect for me but I have no doctor, how could I get a prescription in it by the way? I've never had a prescription in my life that I can remember so this would be new to me.

I'm sorry if I sound pathetic but it's because I am.

EDIT: by a ton of hair I mean about 80-100 strands if not more.

hang in there bro, are you located in the US? it's easy to get the generic finpecia brand from overseas, but I think it's pretty easy getting a prescription in the US by seeing a dermatologist

Phenogeneria

Reaction score
Hi
I sympathise and totally empathise. I had alopecia totalis which caused me to lose every hair on my body one night at the age of 19. I had jet black naturally wavy hair and eyelashes that women swooned over. I was seriously getting literally and otherwise into girls! That was radically changed but mostly by my confidence change. Can you imagine the trauma! I tried to go back to sleep to waken up again normal but it was the real-deal nightmare. Bit worse than pet hairs as well. Now seriously I am going to point you at THREE things of real importance. 1 Cut the booze out, (and any ***s) you are killing your gut flora and allowing an imbalance of flora so the bad guys dominate and the good guys give up. The toxins from bad flora can cause hair loss as well as cancers and many health disorders. Check out Wiki Worms/Parasites/Helminths for corroboration. Next (2) point modify your diet to be the best possible unprocessed and preferably organic produce. Soak all fruit and veg in 2.5% bleach solution and rinse before eating! Some sprayed stuff just peel anyway. Absolutely Bin the microwave and avoid all takeaway MUCK. Diet will probably need to stop all forms of sugar inc alcohol, all processed foods (white flour, rice, sugar are the very worst) and (3) whatever your attitude and disbelief seek the help of a good Naturopath. Medical science can readily miss cause and cure because it is often drug driven and tunnel visioned as I have personally experienced. if you have lost your appendix and or you eat meat that isn't very well done you will definitely have an overburden of helminths or cellular parasites which adult knock-down Mebendazole ect cannot successfully knock down effectively. Naturopathic treatment (I am not one, still think they are hocus pocus, but use what works?) is much more effective and can determine many issues conventional medicine just cannot.
Now to get your confidence back;
You have a medical condition which might just go the whole hog whatever conventional medicine trys to do. Do not even attempt to hide it.
Do not go for migration of hair to scalp etc, causes scarring if it does not work and looks even worse in longer term. I can spot prosthetic hair and transplants a mile off and I guess so can most. That is even worse as everyone then knows you are in denial as well.
Get self confidence by getting a really good body, do serious body building as I did to double my weight with solid muscle, maybe without that important hair. If you head hair is patchy or thinning shave it ALL off. Body-builders have to shave extensively a swell if they exhibit so maybe as good a fit for you as it was for me for a period....
Interestingly as you get bigger isn't just women who chase you! I'm straight regardless and happy that way....
Get a new interest or skill; all good for experience, new contacts, new possibilities, new self esteem when you cross bigger hurdles and develop. Never too late to learn a new skill, I learn new ones all the time; keep me young.
Avoid tattoos and piercings, they will put you into stereotypical groups that are not productive in the long run. if you have tats remove them and I hope you haven't got green ink.....
Feeling fit and healthy with or without hair will get you more women than you can ever cope with. Don't seek out women as they will seek you if you exude confidence. Remember most women like sense of humour most and are looking for strong men to spawn their children. If you are really confident you will probably never have financial problems either strangely enough....
Forget all the meds that claim to grow back hair, if they truly worked there would be no male pattern bald men nor total baldies like me; not an eyelash, nose or ear hair in sight. Skin as smooth as at 19years old and now 40 years on.....and I look half my age as well.
Maybe that is down to my fantastic diet and practising what I preach.
I tell people Duncan Goodhew is my younger weedy brother and I can swim faster and longer (all lies) and that I used very effective "wash and go" and yes it sorted my dandruff.....
And another point; my gorgeous wife met me as my smooth baby skin self. After being married for 18 years my hair all came back one day. Jet black and at 41 it came back with no receding nor crown losses. Amazing and I loved the dust and sweat not being in my eyes and that for some funny reason my head was three times as warm and i did not bang my head so much, plus I was 2 inches taller with that hair. I grew it to long and luxurious taking advantage. My wife hated the body hair and demanded I shave it off (yes and around the tackle as well) so I did as she wanted and enjoyed my hirsute head. I even grew a beard and tache and had fun explaining to everyone how I had found a cure for baldness. (I wish).
Than about 8 months on I woke up with total loss again. Could not identify cause at all, hadn't gone through any xrays etc or had illness or special foods....totally weird.
If it grew back now some 20 years on I would enjoy it but be unable to trust it.
However, knowing what I know now I would say what you eat; what is eating(and poisoning) you (parasites) and what is eating you (psychologically) , poisoning you-particularly fluoride or mercury poisoning (fish, amalgam, immunisation shots) are probably the majors.
Hair is not what or whom you are; people who avoid you because of that are not worth knowing; (saves you a costly divorce years on?).
Get skilled, get healthy, even wealthy and exude confidence and total indifference to your hair situation and you will have to fight off women; I still do at my ripe age but then I look 30 at 60 and I still love company of women over men and fight off many offers as I am and always will be true to my long term monogamous happy marriage. Find the right woman and do not compromise on anything ever.......
At 23 you are only just an adult believe it or not. tackle this issue with maturity and do not medicate with anti-depressants etc either as they are counter productive and damaging. (some can make you permanently sexually dysfunctional and you do not want to be emasculated).
Weigh all advice and choose what may benefit you but rest assured I am a very young looking (half my age) very wise guy, hugely experienced and qualified on many fronts, who only gives good advice with a genuine aspiration that it will benefit. I have no agenda nor ego; I like to help anyone and everyone and believe what goes around comes around in the end...hope this helps and I welcome any queries and look forward to some positive stuff for you before too long. Do not despair, live in the present and remember the word suggests life is a gift; which it is. You had to beat all the other millions to steal that conception which bore your life so makes you a winner right from the outset. Just carry on winning!